Costume or Regalia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe your elders, not mine

As Singerdad, Ivanasnagu and I have pointed out, our elders call it a costume.

What happened to "if you want to know the answer, go ask your elders?"

Our elders condoned it and still do. They lived and powwowed before you and I. They lived before our era of political correctness.

Would it be right if you corrected them and told them "Grandpa/grandma, you only wear costumes on Halloween?"

around here, its an outfit. costume?............yeah right
    Who the hell started this "Chimookamaan Phenomenon"?

Comment

whats next indian taco- native american salad?

costume, regalia, outfit, ndn clothes, i don't mind what people call it. i had this one lady call it "her native dress,and tribal acessories" you talk about crazy.

Comment

in English, costume means the same as outfit, plain and simple. Up till about 30 years ago people used to call any outfit a costume. Till the PC Police started refusing to use a dictionary anymore and making up their own definitions.

Comment

Originally posted by bullberrybaby
          . . .Up till about 30 years ago people used to call any outfit a costume. Till the PC Police started refusing to use a dictionary anymore and making up their own definitions.

bullbb,

This is so true.

30 years in some powwow areas, 15 years ago in others, this cross-over in terminology occured.

Many elders still say "our costumes." In their era this was common terminology.

Many young people become incensed when their dance cloths are referred to as costumes.

Whose right?
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I think I've always heard it refered to as "regalia" in plain talk. I think when I read about it, it interchanges "regalia" and "costume". I never thought one was more pc than the other.
            "Hollywood has forever created these stereotypes of the stoic, silent, emotionless Indians. And let me tell you: Breaking those stereotypes gave me tremendous pleasure."
            -- Jay Tavare

Comment

The funny thing about this whole argument is that most of the people who get mad about it being called a costume can't refer to it in their own language...they have to use English terms (regalia, outfit, etc.), but these old guys WhoMe and I have been talking about who call it a costume can talk about their entire outfit in their own language.

Why argue over English words? To me regalia sounds ridiculous. Some don't like costume...ok then, learn how to say it in Indian...then you know you're right.
              I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

after all this damn talk.....everybody just go nekkit.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Singerdad you make an intertesting point. I should go investigate what it would be called in my neck of the woods. Although if I found out and repeated it to someone, they wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about.
                  "Hollywood has forever created these stereotypes of the stoic, silent, emotionless Indians. And let me tell you: Breaking those stereotypes gave me tremendous pleasure."
                  -- Jay Tavare

Comment

Originally posted by busy
                    . . .I should go investigate what it would be called in my neck of the woods. Although if I found out and repeated it to someone, they wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about.
                    busy,

You're from NYC? Is your "neck of the woods" Central Park? *L

j/k

Candae Cane,

How come you're always talkin' bout' gettin' "neckit?"

Comment

LOL!

Hey I bet even if I started dancing in the middle of the Great Lawn, no one would even notice!
                      -- Jay Tavare

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                        MissFC,

Naw go ahead and paint on yo' daisy dukes!
                        HAHA.. ok... do you know me??!?! Ayyyes...
                        Love the Dance...
                        Feel the Drum

Comment

Originally posted by busy
                          LOL!

Hey I bet even if I started dancing in the middle of the Great Lawn, no one would even notice!

busy,

You're probably right..... unless you danced..... neckit! *L (chalk that one up to Candae Cane) *L

---

MissFancyC,

I may not know you in person. But I have probably seen you (not neckit). *L (Chalk that one up to Candae Cane too)!

I have danced at the UW powwow in Seattle and also at the Omak Longhouse. You HAVE been to both?

---

Singerdad,

I am going to ask what each of my three tribe's call their dance cloths. I'm sure there are words for them.

Comment

MissFancyC,

I may not know you in person. But I have probably seen you (not neckit). *L (Chalk that one up to Candae Cane too)!

I have danced at the UW powwow in Seattle and also at the Omak Longhouse. You HAVE been to both?
                            Ahhh yes... well nice to "meet" ya !! haha...
                            Say hello next time ya come out this way... Take care ! and Safe Travels !
                            Love the Dance...
                            Feel the Drum

Comment

Originally posted by Singerdad
                              The funny thing about this whole argument is that most of the people who get mad about it being called a costume can't refer to it in their own language...they have to use English terms (regalia, outfit, etc.), but these old guys WhoMe and I have been talking about who call it a costume can talk about their entire outfit in their own language.

Why argue over English words? To me regalia sounds ridiculous. Some don't like costume...ok then, learn how to say it in Indian...then you know you're right.
                              Maybe if people used their Native Language, it would be harder of some tribes to "steal" outfits. But maybe people would get more shamed out if they did not even know the proper name of the things they were wearing. Just a thought, I know this is going down a different path. I'm sorry. I just came from the other thread.....

Comment

Candae Cane....why are ya always talkign about gettin neckit????
                                I don't know. Must be the indin in me. got dang.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.