No announcement yet.

Costume or Regalia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive used regalia .... outfit ... gear (everyone luvs getting new gear! LOL) ... costume to me reminds me of Halloween LOL
    Watch your broken dreams...
    Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

regalia is french for costume

i say outfit or dance stuff.

Comment

i think costume was used by older people before...eg: 'their native costume' like talking about anybody's traditonal clothing...like Ukrainian....french etc...then when younger people heard that word they assumed only the one definition...like in Halloween costume

"taken from dictionary online"
        constume...
        "noun
        1. a style of dress, including accessories and hairdos, esp. that peculiar to a nation, region, group, or historical period.
        2. dress or garb characteristic of another period, place, person, etc., as worn on the stage or at balls.
        3. fashion of dress appropriate to a particular occasion or season: dancing costume; winter costume.
        4. a set of garments, esp. women's garments, selected for wear at a single time; outfit; ensemble.
        –verb (used with object)
        5. to dress; furnish with a costume; provide appropriate dress for: to costume a play.
        –adjective
        6. of or characterized by the wearing of costumes: a costume party.
        7. meant for use with or appropriate to a specific costume: costume accessories. "

older non-native people from other countries or here on turtle island would probably still use this term and mean no offense...we say regalia ...cuz we be princessessessesssss lol

regalia
        Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
        re·ga·li·a /rɪˈgeɪliə, -ˈgeɪlyə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-gey-lee-uh, -geyl-yuh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
        –plural noun
        1. the ensigns or emblems of royalty, as the crown or scepter.
        2. the decorations, insignia, or ceremonial clothes of any office or order.
        3. rich, fancy, or dressy clothing; finery: guests wearing formal party regalia.
        4. royal rights or privileges.

Comment

I grew up with calling it an outfit or dance clothes. when we were at a powwow my Mom would say "go get dressed" meaning for grand entry and during the dancing you weren't allowed to drink anything but water and NO EATING while your "dressed".........

Comment

outfit sounds good I think.. but then I've also said.. I'm going to get my "stuff" on... lol
            costume just sounds like we are playing "indian", not real... and I'm not being PC about that.. just my personal opinion...
            db

Comment

I prefer outfits...not costumes or regalia...
              "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

Comment

Originally posted by middle of the sky View Post

older non-native people from other countries or here on turtle island would probably still use this term and mean no offense...we say regalia ...cuz we be princessessessesssss lol

I still hear people stumbling over words to call a lot of their "stuff". I've gone from costume to regalia (my princess dayz - ayez) to outfit.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

from a part of the slightly under 30 crowd... i never called it a costume... never will either... sounds like a halloween thing 2 me.... also... regalia is a little proper... (tho i prefer it 2 costume)

sooo this is my general word ... "dance outfit" or just "outfit"

and i think most of my friends and people i know understand and call it hte same thing...

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol

Comment

The big suit case that has everything for a weekend in it is my gear, each set of clothes is a suit- my wool suit, my Comanche suit, etc...

And Who Me- livin' up north now it seems like a double bustle set is a rig, so maybe them fellas you know passed the lingo on but just to the fancy boys.

And ya it seems like all the old folks I know back home and up here call their dance clothes "outfits," but ya know lots of 'em used to do the roadside show thing too and thats what kept 'em makin' the gear.

Comment

We call it ndn clothes and sometimes, but not very often, outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by legalstraight View Post
                        The big suit case that has everything for a weekend in it is my gear, each set of clothes is a suit- my wool suit, my Comanche suit, etc...

And Who Me- livin' up north now it seems like a double bustle set is a rig, so maybe them fellas you know passed the lingo on but just to the fancy boys.

And ya it seems like all the old folks I know back home and up here call their dance clothes "outfits," but ya know lots of 'em used to do the roadside show thing too and thats what kept 'em makin' the gear.

legal,

Up north?

Northern Florida?

Northern Oklahoma?

Northern Montana?

North Saskatchewan?

or

Northern Alaska?
                        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

North= any where you can't see the Sooners on TV,
                          any where barbeque is done in a crock pot
                          any where that it is quicker to drive to Canada than Mexico.
                          any where that is way too cold to support human life.

Comment

ok.....i know this is an old thread......no need to remind me haha

but i just want to add.....i have no problem calling it a costume when it is on some non-indian wannabe order of the arrow type

since they are playing dress-up it is indeed a COSTUME
                            "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

And forgive me, but when I was growing up, it was called a costume from time to time.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                                And forgive me, but when I was growing up, it was called a costume from time to time.
                                I heard it called a 'suit' or 'regalia'
                                When you are dead you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

"Show me somethin"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.