52nd AIC PW in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52nd AIC PW in Chicago

The PW in the windy city was pretty good. The drum groups all did a great job and made the PW enjoyable.

There were approximatley 100+ dancers in Saturday evenings Grand Entry. Aside from the 20 or so Tiny Tots, there were no more than 12 dancers in each category. The Men's Grass special had about 15 or so dancers compete for the $1,000 first place. Midnight Express sang four songs for that special. The top 5 dancers all rec'd some sort of prize including blankets. Julius won that special and then immediately gave the prize money to a family, from So. Dakota, who recently lost an elder.

The drums were:
    Iron Necklace (Host)
    Crooked ??
    Big Bear
    Southern Wind
    Midnight Express
    Tha Tribe
    Wisconsin Dells (Host)

The invited MC didn't show up, but the person (I think from the PW commitee) did a good job filling in.

To me, this contest PW had a traditional flavor. The committee did a great job overall.

My first time in Chicago (downtown area) was a little trying, the host hotels were about a half hour away. But if you ever get a chance to make it out that way, you'll have a good time. I had Chicago's Giordano's Famous Stuffed Pizza, saw the World Series Champion home field, got to experience the Bears game-time traffic, and did a little sight seeing.

I didn't stay to the end to hear any winner announcements, so someone else will have to provide that later.

Cheers!
    "We who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues. How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own coloration? What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well." ~~~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi~~~

Crooked

Originally posted by vince_j
    The PW in the windy city was pretty good. The drum groups all did a great job and made the PW enjoyable.

There were approximatley 100+ dancers in Saturday evenings Grand Entry. Aside from the 20 or so Tiny Tots, there were no more than 12 dancers in each category. The Men's Grass special had about 15 or so dancers compete for the $1,000 first place. Midnight Express sang four songs for that special. The top 5 dancers all rec'd some sort of prize including blankets. Julius won that special and then immediately gave the prize money to a family, from So. Dakota, who recently lost an elder.

The drums were:
    Iron Necklace (Host)
    Crooked ??
    Big Bear
    Southern Wind
    Midnight Express
    Tha Tribe
    Wisconsin Dells (Host)

The invited MC didn't show up, but the person (I think from the PW commitee) did a good job filling in.

To me, this contest PW had a traditional flavor. The committee did a great job overall.

My first time in Chicago (downtown area) was a little trying, the host hotels were about a half hour away. But if you ever get a chance to make it out that way, you'll have a good time. I had Chicago's Giordano's Famous Stuffed Pizza, saw the World Series Champion home field, got to experience the Bears game-time traffic, and did a little sight seeing.

I didn't stay to the end to hear any winner announcements, so someone else will have to provide that later.

Cheers!
    It is not Crooked? The name of the drum is Cricketthill. I know one of the MCs said over the PA crooked, but that is not the name. Just wanted to clear things up and BIg Bear was not there but Big Boy.

Comment

Correction noted, thanks

Originally posted by CricketHill
      It is not Crooked? The name of the drum is Cricketthill. I know one of the MCs said over the PA crooked, but that is not the name. Just wanted to clear things up and BIg Bear was not there but Big Boy.

I appreciate the corrections. It was my first time up in that area, so the names were new to me. Did you have a good time?

You guys did a great job singing!
      "We who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues. How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own coloration? What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well." ~~~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi~~~

Comment

Crooked

We were there. Had a good time.

Yeah...... grass special was good. Julis not only got the $1000 but also a quilt.

There was also a fancy shawl special put on by the outgoing princess Angela Mahkimetas that was really good.

Also there was a fun special, street clothes contest.
        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Was there any other contests? Did anybody win anything? Adults/ golden age? Anything?

Comment

Oh yeah........there were lots of good contest dancing. P-nut took 2nd in teen boy's grass. That one good looking dude won Men's traditional and I believe the woman with the black beaded dress took woman's.

( either me or Cricket Hill will be posting the results later)
            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

from another site & tell us more about the fancy special.

SOME Chicago WINNERS were:

18-44 grass
              1 Julius NA
              2 Ronnie Preston
              3 James Day
              4 Jarod Pigeon
              5?

18-44 men's trad
              1 Adrian Kline
              ????
              ????
              ????
              ????

18-44 fancy feather
              1 Dwight WB
              2 Warshield White
              3 Wayne Silas, Jr.
              4 Jerry Cleveland, Jr.
              5 Darrell Hill

18-44 jingle
              1 Alexarae Funmaker
              2 ?
              3 Harmony Hill (I think?)
              4 Josee Starr
              5 ?

18-44 fancy shawl
              1 Rose Track
              2 Amber Cleveland
              3 Crystal Cleveland
              4 Barbara Whitehead O'Rourke
              5 Lisa Bernel

teen fancy shawl
              1 Anhinga Whitecloud
              2 Shibabe Hodge
              3 ? King
              4?
              5?

Crystal Cleveland won the outgoing princess fancy shawl special
              Amber was next and then some dude from Pine Ridge
              YES I SAID SOME DUDE FROM PINE RIDGE.

Comment

Chicago

18-44 jingle
                1 Alexarae Funmaker
                2 ?
                3 Harmony Hill (I think?)
                4 Josee Starr
                5 ?

1ST place was KC HINDSLEY
                2ND place was ALEXA RAE

Comment

No kidding!!

I went to this powwow two years ago and I realized that this was the first city I was in that had no hotels in sight. There was only one hotel and of course it was cram packed and no rooms were available. All the hotels/motels are at least 30 minutes away and the drive is a pain.
                  Other than that, it is a good powwow.
                  All other cities have all kinds of hotel/motel accomodations, I wonder why Chicago does not??

Comment

I heard next year they are having the powwow somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by itsmebadoink
                      I heard next year they are having the powwow somewhere else.
                      Man I hope so!

Comment

If they move it I hope they don't move it back to that one gym they had it in about three years back. It was way to crowded there!!!!
                        "Such,things though rare in time, are frequent in eternity. -- Bryon, "Cain"

Comment

Somebody tell me about the DUDE FROM PINE RIDGE!?!?!
                          "Do you love me because I am beautiful or am I beautiful because you love me?" ~Cinderella
                          Obsession is an action word...
                          "I !!! and all things PINK!!!
                          This is for you Prince Charming....
                          Make Love :KISS001: not war..... :war00000:

Comment

messed up on some of the womans points,check the points after the powwow ill just say if you where in the womans category maybe you should have check for your self , they added points from thin air 100 points here and there the mens was dope str8 up just the womens just throw that out there laterz

Comment

Originally posted by wayway
                              messed up on some of the womans points,check the points after the powwow ill just say if you where in the womans category maybe you should have check for your self , they added points from thin air 100 points here and there the mens was dope str8 up just the womens just throw that out there laterz
                              oh...you didn't win huh? you must be Dude.
                              Last edited by MariaMaria; 11-17-2005, 08:51 AM. Reason: missed a word

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.