***skydome~powwow~2005***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke dance...

I don't think that it's 15 minutes are up, it's just that people around these parts are used to it by now. Bill Crouse used to be great for getting the crowd worked up by it. He would tell the story and throw in some social dances to pass time-it hasn't been the same since he's been gone. Personally, I think pw's just need to break it up if it's a category now, rather that do it all at once because it takes a long time. I liked it this weekend to see the smoke dance in the all-around special. I love seeing people from other places dance it. The 3 gals that placed in the special did great in the smoke dance. Time for everyone to make their own smoke dance outfit and pack in their suitcases. Hope y'all remember that it is the midnight special at Gatherings this year for the trip to (where?) I think those gals could give some Iroquois gals a good run for the money. Plus how many Iroquois people will actually go down there for it? Keep on smokin'........... dance that is!

Comment

the weirdest part...

Originally posted by jed
      Eli Snow placed 3rd in Mens Trad I think or was it 4th?

Best Part: Staying in the Hotel at the Skydome.

Worst Part: The packed elevator after the pow wow, climbed the stairs back to the lobby after our contests...WHEW!

Wierdest part: Saturday night, usually just packed at a pow wow around here and the place was empty, no crowd, just the pow wow people.

Yeah, i was thinking that too...Ive been to out west powwows, and your right...Saturday night at powwows out there, are packed, and fun....But Saturday night at skydome, was empty and boring...I was thinkin "damn, all these people that came from outwest are probably just bored...."
      *Tha One N' Only LeSLeY*

Comment

Originally posted by Kakeeya
        Were you naughty?

Haha...Kakeeya...gurl ur funny! lol
        But damn i missed an opportunity to finally meet you @ T.O, I didn't go...again this yr, lol.....maybe next yr hey?

Comment

Smoke dance

ok. this is my two cents about this subject. I have mixed feelings about smoke being open invitation for competition. It is an Iroquois social dance. I look at it this way. Out of RESPECT i dont do other Nation's dances (unless invited). Smoke needs to stay social. I wouldn't pack a Rainbow dancers dress just in case i'm passing through the south west... ya feel me?
          There is nothing wrong with sharing i only have a problem with those that jump in with out any knowledge.... that's all... ...dont mean to get anyone's feathers ruffled....it's just my two cents (for what ever that is worth)..lol
          Last edited by 3ndnbear; 12-01-2005, 08:57 AM.

Comment

We didn't get bored....we always make our own fun. I think we just got louder as we waited for our contests.

Most painful thing: The two spirited flag guy, his pants were killing me!

Comment

Being Iroquois, I think that it's kewl when other nations take interest in my culture. I see a lot Iroquoian People dancing in Jingle...Fancy...and all the other categories...It's kinda silly for us not to expect them to wanna compete in Smoke. The only time that I was out and out disappointed was when the singer from Bear Creek had his crack sticking out dancing at Thunder Falls. I thought that it was VERY disrespectful to not only the Iroquois...but for all the people that were there watching.

Comment

Originally posted by whattaheck
                Being Iroquois, I think that it's kewl when other nations take interest in my culture......... The only time that I was out and out disappointed was when the singer from Bear Creek had his crack sticking out dancing at Thunder Falls. I thought that it was VERY disrespectful to not only the Iroquois...but for all the people that were there watching.
                If you want to share your culture with others you should expect things like that once and awhile. Over the years I have seen men wearing the Jingle Dress which is a sacred dress given to the Ojibwe woman. I have seen men "Jingle Dress" dancing with pop cans and other types of makeshift cones. I realize that this is all done in fun and not meant to harm or offend anyone. Some people are just a little more stuffier then others I suppose. I have seen singers or spectators do this sort of thing from time to time and the crowd always roars with laughter. Anyone remember Tito dancing Smoke Dance at Gatherings? He was dancing like a stripper to the Smoke Dance songs and people went crazy with laughter.

Comment

get your facts straight 3ndnbear

if u want to get technical smoke dance originally came from a osage war dance from the south i was honoered to learn that when the old guys were still around and performed with them . dang kids anyways you aint got 2 cents.
                  Last edited by qwade; 01-09-2006, 05:48 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by qwade
                    if u want to get technical smoke dance originally came from a osage war dance from the south i was honoered to learn that when the old guys were still around and performed with them . dang kids anyways you aint got 2 cents.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X