Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Powwow is a Must See for the Powwow Virgin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Migiziwomen
    helloooooo, Gathering Of Nations Powwow. that is rihgt in New Mexico, you should go to that. And i have to agree that some of the best can be found on the Rez., but i do love those one dayers. you seem kick As* my friend.
    Thanks for the info. That I'm kick a** only seems to be appreciated by those who aren't bent over on all fours in front of me. (wink.)

Enjoy!
    If life gives you lemons, find the bloody ******* who sent them to you, pelt them with lemons and then ask them how the hell they like it.

Comment

lol would love to run into you at a powwow sometime. well not run right into you anyway Minnesota has some great powwow also. there is MILLE LACS, WHITE EARTH, LCO, RED LAKE, CASS LAKE. CME UP NORD SOMETHIME
      Originally posted by greagirl
      Thanks for the info. That I'm kick a** only seems to be appreciated by those who aren't bent over on all fours in front of me. (wink.)

Enjoy!
      A LABYRINTH OF FINGERS POINTING BLAME

Comment

Originally posted by Migiziwomen
        lol would love to run into you at a powwow sometime. well not run right into you anyway Minnesota has some great powwow also. there is MILLE LACS, WHITE EARTH, LCO, RED LAKE, CASS LAKE. CME UP NORD SOMETHIME
        Well depending on my mood at the time, I may be popping up to the Trader's Village one out in North Houston later this year and/or the Alabama Coushatta ones as they are in day trip range. Coushatta I believe built a hotel somewhere on the property last I recall but don't quote me on that.

As for the running into me....if it's meant to happen, there will be nothing you can do to stop it. Just make sure you have medical insurance and hopefully are wearing long pants.

As for up North, only when it's warm. (grin) Perhaps a time or two when it's really cold for the novelty.

It snowed winter before last in Dallas. While it was pretty and magical and all the day it fell, the sh*t would not go away! Then my car actually froze shut! What kind of a twisted thing is that?! Fortunately for budding America's Funniest Home Video filmographers, I didn't realize it at first or the proper procedure for moving beyond it. Of course foul mouthed hilarity ensued as I tried to get into my car, watered the ice to get in and well, the door almost instantly froze shut... with me inside. (laugh)

Confused as to why people live in cold climates voluntarily....

Grea.
        If life gives you lemons, find the bloody ******* who sent them to you, pelt them with lemons and then ask them how the hell they like it.

Comment

The best pow wow I've ever been to, hands down is Julyamsh in Post Falls, ID. Ann Arbor, MI, Salamenka and Cherokee, NC's 4th of July Pow Wows are pretty good over in the east.

My wish list of pow wows to check out would have to include:
          Gathering of Nations, Hinkley, Denver March, Crow Fair, Schimitzen, Toronto Skydome Pow Wow and this new NMAI pow wow.
          I became a singer because I love to sing... and to feed my addiction to cough drops!

Comment

would love to go to all those, the only one i have been to is surprise....Hinkley, although i do like Mille Lacs better as it is smaller, same people been going there for years and mostly my tribe is there. Hinkley is bigger, and prolly more fun for people coming in from elsewhere. they are both my annual powwows so i guess i am lucky. lol
            Originally posted by RedShield
            The best pow wow I've ever been to, hands down is Julyamsh in Post Falls, ID. Ann Arbor, MI, Salamenka and Cherokee, NC's 4th of July Pow Wows are pretty good over in the east.

My wish list of pow wows to check out would have to include:
            Gathering of Nations, Hinkley, Denver March, Crow Fair, Schimitzen, Toronto Skydome Pow Wow and this new NMAI pow wow.
            A LABYRINTH OF FINGERS POINTING BLAME

Comment

Originally posted by greagirl
              Well depending on my mood at the time, I may be popping up to the Trader's Village one out in North Houston later this year and/or the Alabama Coushatta ones as they are in day trip range. Coushatta I believe built a hotel somewhere on the property last I recall but don't quote me on that.

As for the running into me....if it's meant to happen, there will be nothing you can do to stop it. Just make sure you have medical insurance and hopefully are wearing long pants.

As for up North, only when it's warm. (grin) Perhaps a time or two when it's really cold for the novelty.

It snowed winter before last in Dallas. While it was pretty and magical and all the day it fell, the sh*t would not go away! Then my car actually froze shut! What kind of a twisted thing is that?! Fortunately for budding America's Funniest Home Video filmographers, I didn't realize it at first or the proper procedure for moving beyond it. Of course foul mouthed hilarity ensued as I tried to get into my car, watered the ice to get in and well, the door almost instantly froze shut... with me inside. (laugh)

Confused as to why people live in cold climates voluntarily....

Grea.

I agree girl cold weather sucks and a bit scary. I visited Memphis tenn. and everything had ice cycles hanging from the cold. It was 13 degrees, not use to no colder that 55 degrees. I was staying a hotel and the window had ice on them I was scared the lights were gonna go out. My truck had ice cycles all over and the brakes froze. I am from the south In louisiana I like the sun and to keep my tan. Oklahoma has great powwow red earth, Andarko, new mexico and Texas has some great powwows just have to look on the calendar and plan to go to one. Are u wannting to dance and dress? what tribal aff are u? Seamonkey cult leader? Really confused? sounds demmonic to me.

Comment

POWWOWS are FUN

Which Powwow is the most informative, the most reflective on Native culture and its tenets….

Thank you in advance for you kind cooperation.

I chose this part of your quote, because the question itself is un-original, meaning (not in a derrogatory way) >>you are not the first person to ask this question and you will more than likely not be the last. But know that Native American culture is not vague, and is specific to each indigenous group throughout the Americas, so it would be difficult to find one powwow that exhibits all Indigenous american cultures.

I saw this thread, read what others have written here, and think that if you are new to the powwow-going experience, you would ask which powwow is the most informative about Native culture........ you would ask this because you have little knowledge about Indigenous Americans? I dont know, but the point im trying to make (yes im getting there) is depending on the tribe (in some cases more than one, but normally all from the same region) the powwow is region sensitive, only offering a variety when it comes to the dancing and singing itself and "Northern and Southern" ( the most common of dance and singing competition) is not really including all regions of the Americas and is not much of a variety.

Therefore I suggest a powwow that is sensitive to every region of the Americas, north south east and west. and that powwow is Schemitzen. There is not one region of the Americas left out there. You will see Indigenous people from all regions of the Americas there, and if their style of dance is not represented with a competition then they are there performing exhibitions. In recent years there has a been a push to emphasize the Indigenous American people of that region, (Eastern region) perhaps because there are few other powwows throughout the country that do so. But if it is Native American Culture as a whole that you seek to see at any one powwow, i would attend Schemitzun.

Also, (almost finished here) you will see all Indigenous American representation, Tainos (a tribe from puerto Rico), Mayans from south america, and Eskimos from ....... well you know.

that having been said....... happy powwow-
                going!!!
                To be Native or not to be Native...that definitely is the question :

Comment

Red Earth
                  Gathering of the Nations
                  NMAI in DC
                  Denver March
                  ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                  Till I Die!

Comment

hey come and check out Northern Cheyenne Chiefs pow-wow the first week-end in July out in Lame Deer, MT.....or my home town Rocky Boy pow-wow the first week-end in August is always a good one every yr out in Rocky Boy, MT........
                    lisaironmaker

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.