~ A Question About Powwow Rules ~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~ A Question About Powwow Rules ~

Ok people what do you'se think about powwows setting out rules for the dancers and singers to follows....BUT they don't enforce these rules when they fall into play!...just for eg. dancers must be in full regalia to receive prize money!.....but the dancer still goes out there in his/her steet cloths when the winners are called?.....BUT the committee still gives them the award???....another e.g. If any part of a Dancers regaia falls off during contest they will be DQ'ed ....now....i've seen this happen and it was on the 1stcontest song ..then the 2nd contest song ...he/she gets back out there for the rest of that round of contest!!....so when there is a rule of "drop something and your DQ'd" does this apply to the 2nd song or that whole round of contest???.....just a few questions!!!!... trying to stir it up in this cold weather!!!!.....LOL......let us know what you think PEOPLE!!!!

are comittees lacking enforcement of rules????
    -[]-[ ]-/\-[ ]-[]-

Guess it depends, is the person that drops the item is honest or not, or if the judges see it, or if the head judge sees it OR who the dancer is...I have seen dancers drop items, pick them up, keep dancing, and place. Is it the committees responsibility to see this or the dancers to enforce the "rules" on themselves.

Comment

Boozhoo niji,

Tis is my take on things... on the rule that if the comittee requires you to wear your outfit to accept your prize money, then it should be so. I can see why, since someone wearing street clothes may look totally different than if they are wearing their dance outfit, especially if they paint their face. I dunno how manytimes I have been mistaken for being someone else.

On the second rule, I guess it depends on how exactly it is intrepreted or what the specifics are if any. In my experience there has only ever been one contest song, but then again pow wows here in Fla are smaller than Ok or up north. I dont know that if you drop an item, you are DQed from just that one song, or from every song thereafter. I know you get points for each song you dance, and you get points for where you place in a contest song. So if you drop something in a contest song, then are you just DQed from that one song or from each song from that point on? I guess it depends if its an elimination thing.

Also what counts as something being dropped? I know dropping an eagle feather or a whipstick would DQ you, but whatabout a single hackle? Honestly I have never dropped anything while dancing fancy, with the exception of a stray hackle here and there. Due to the nature of the dance and the abuse the pieces of your outfit get, hackles are going to fall off, more come off my arm bustles than the back once for me, they get bent I guess.

Derek
      I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

OK smokin dancer this is how it works, I think anyways... Most of the time it is done by a point system, for example a powwow committee may give you 20pts for Grand Entrys, 10 pts for dancing inter-tribals, 15pts for exibitions...and for the contests...1st place 30pts, 2nd 20pts, and 3rd 10pts (keep in mind these points are made up, I dunno what they acually give, differs from powwow to powwow)...depending on the committee's choices and time there may very well be more then one contest for a particular dance catagory or all catagories...SO if a dancer was to drop something during there contest then YES they are diss qualified for that particular contest (meaning that particular dancer did not get tallied up by the judges for that particular contest)...BUT they are not completely diss qualified from continuing to compete in the rest of the contest songs and such. Basically how it works when all contests are complete and the points are tallied up who ever has the most points in each catagory gets 1st...and so on. Atleast this is how I think it works, here in Oklahoma anyways, but not completly sure.

Comment

Originally posted by sgenahey
          SO if a dancer was to drop something during there contest then YES they are diss qualified for that particular contest (meaning that particular dancer did not get tallied up by the judges for that particular contest).
          i understand that if they drop part of their outfit they are DQ'ed...but what if a dancer drops something DURING THE 1st CONTEST SONG!!! AND they hop back out there for the 2nd song and then go and line up!!!....when all the others dancers are looking at the AD like "ain't you gonna do anything???or looking at him thinking "didn't he see that!!???....or looking at the judges thinking " i hope your guys saw that!!!".......LOL.....just something i was wondering!
          -[]-[ ]-/\-[ ]-[]-

Comment

Originally posted by smoke_dancer_20
            i understand that if they drop part of their outfit they are DQ'ed...but what if a dancer drops something DURING THE 1st CONTEST SONG!!! AND they hop back out there for the 2nd song and then go and line up!!!....when all the others dancers are looking at the AD like "ain't you gonna do anything???or looking at him thinking "didn't he see that!!???....or looking at the judges thinking " i hope your guys saw that!!!".......LOL.....just something i was wondering!
            Yeah I see what your saying...but what if... lets say they was having womens fancy shawl contest and all of the contestants were naked!! and there was this one big huge 500 lbs fry bread shaped women out there just gettin down and she stepped on a rock and fell in the middle of the song, but she got back up all out of breath and continued to dance the song out and lined up anyways, but what I was wondering is where would they pin there numbers at?

Comment

Originally posted by smoke_dancer_20
              Seriously though, yeah I see what your saying. I was just thinking that you ment that they are completely DQ from the competition meaning they shouldn't dance in exibitions and such and still have there number taken down. But what you are wondering about..LOL.. I dunno. I have seen this happen a time or two and most of the time if it goes that far the committee usually ends up getting told off by somebody..lol.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.