Do You Need Long Hair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Need Long Hair?

I was just wondering if there are any restrictions on men dancing with short hair?

I know it seems a simple question, but I am just rediscovering a lot of the traditions that were given up by my family years ago.

My mom says that you need braids to dance??

Most of the Pow Wows I have attended are small and not well know outside of my communities. But it seems some do dance with short hair. If you are like myself, I am in law enforcement and the military reserves, short hair is a must unless some day both jobs decide that sense woman can have long hair men should be able too.

Comment

As far as I know it is not required, but from my family teachings if you are going to give your life to serving the creator and live a sobriety lifestyle in doing so, you grow your hair out, and fix it as part of that ritual. Don't let short hold you back from dancing though. I have a couple of 1st cousins in the military, and they dance with their hair cut short.

Comment

Originally posted by canadian
        I was just wondering if there are any restrictions on men dancing with short hair?

I know it seems a simple question, but I am just rediscovering a lot of the traditions that were given up by my family years ago.

My mom says that you need braids to dance??

1/3 of the male dancers on the powwow circuit have longer hair under their arms than they do on their heads!

*L
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Is that why they smell so bad?

But seriously, ive been thinking, you see the wackos with their long skanky looking kinky hair looking like dirtbags...they would probably look more respectful if they had nice haircuts.

My hair is long because I like long hair, plus i have a killer 'cow lick' and i need the weight of the hair to keep it down!!!

Plus it is easier to manage.
          There are 2 types of people in the world...
          Really stupid people who think they are smart
          and
          Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

i have seen men with short, medium and long hair. i have noticed that isn't a "requirement" to have long hair among the male dancers. also i have seen male dancers who had long hair but not in braids. their hair was pulled back somehow but still flowing. i think those who have braids have the bnraids to kleep their locks under control.
            Last edited by bahnisiain; 12-23-2005, 09:48 AM.
            Bahnisiain

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
              1/3 of the male dancers on the powwow circuit have longer hair under their arms than they do on their heads!

*L

I knew a woman like that too!
              "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan

I knew a woman like that too!

Did she french braid or put them in cornrolls?
                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Were the woman European Indians.

Comment

Been going to pow-wows for over 35 years now, and I guess that if you got it wear it proudly if you don't then don't sweat it

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X