Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming at a powwow...

Ka-Hay all,

I need some help please. A friend of mine wants to do a naming ceremony at a powwow. I need a translation for them for the word SNOW in a native language. She has looked everywhere. In the Crow language its hard for me to write and her to remember. So can any of you help me? yes she asked me in the right way. and told her if i couldnt find it, i would ask my friends. Can anyone help???

Originally posted by Stacks_Alot
    Ka-Hay all,

I need some help please. A friend of mine wants to do a naming ceremony at a powwow. I need a translation for them for the word SNOW in a native language. She has looked everywhere. In the Crow language its hard for me to write and her to remember. So can any of you help me? yes she asked me in the right way. and told her if i couldnt find it, i would ask my friends. Can anyone help???
    A naming should be done by an elder who speaks that language.
    I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

I am not Crow. But.......... I am nosey.

Is this generally the way one receives their name in the Crow way?

Comment

Naming someone isnt about giving a name they can easily remember. If it is being done right.
        There are 2 types of people in the world...
        Really stupid people who think they are smart
        and
        Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Is your friend native? It should be in her own language! I have varying opinions on this subject. I was named by my family as a baby; nothing official, and it's not something I share or use either. I only hear the name occasionally, when I visit back home with my close relatives. I find that alot of people take this lightly. Often the "white" people around here have it in their minds that "getting" an indian name is going to make them more accepted, which is a silly notion anyhow.

Comment

I believe that namings should be private. No one but you, family and the person upstairs need to know what your name is. Doing it publicly makes a mockery out of it.
            I'm not mean....You're just a sissy

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
            http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70

Comment

I totally agree!

Comment

i have only witnessed 2 "real" namings. both done the lakota way, both done for people who werent lakota but lived the lakota way and had been adopted into lakota families.

getting named that way is differrent than when lakota people get their names. correct me if im wrong but lakota people get 4 names throughout their lives?

out here in the east i have seen naming ceremonies for babies and the names are announced to the crowd and a giveaway ensues. i have seen the family give to every family member from 1st to 5th uncles aunts cousins. and the name is usually beautiful rainbow or thundering wolf or something they just made up. it usually has nothing to do with their family or clan, just something they 'like'. And everyone uses this NAME when referring to the baby.

i guess that is why everyone around here uses their NDN name more than their regular names. It is not "Where the heck is John?" it is "Have you seen THUNDERWOLF?"
                There are 2 types of people in the world...
                Really stupid people who think they are smart
                and
                Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

naming

i respect the naming, im just helping her with a word. im sure there is more to it. but she herself is curious but cannotfind the answer anywhere. Other than the word for snow, i cannot say much.

Comment

Boozhoo niji,

I asked for my name at a pow wow, and I got it at a pow wow. Since I am Anishisnaabe, I asked a Mide, gave tobacco for it. Its hard to find Mide this far south and the only place I see this guy is at pow wows. He did pray over it for a few months and then it was a few months after that when I saw him again. There was no ceremony or fan fare, but a lot of Ojibwe words that I had to write down to remember. I would not have had it any other way. From what I am told, a name is not something you share, unless you are in a sweat, its the name the spirits know you by. If you do share a name with someone, you open that part of your medicine to that person, and it better be someone you can trust. I was told that they can hurt you with that if they choose to, because they know your true name.

Derek
                    I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

i was told that a naming should be done by a family member and chosen by a family member

Comment

a naming is a ceremony and i dont think a powwow is an appropriate place for Ceremony like namings...especially with money involved and around...would be like a Sweat in a walmart parking lot to me...just my one cents worth
                        sigpic
                        TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

name

often when reading threads i think "how much we don't know about tribal tradition and how little respect is given to obtaining the knowledge we are seeking"
                          i'm not slamming because i include myself in that category,
                          back to the question, there would be no worries if a person went to their original rez, homeland and sought out an respected elder who knows language and tradition and visited for a few days, weeks ect, like my o'khana used to say an "indian visit" cook for them, drive them around, chop some wood, fix their homes do something for them everyday and you will find what you need, and always think of them when you are not there talking to them,
                          sorry for going off, but this one of the old ways that might inconvenience the ones that want to know something about something.
                          e

Comment

A naming should be done privately and by an elder. These types of ceremonies should not be done for the general public to see. The next thing you know, someone will be selling the "Naming Video" for $29.95 with instructions on how to receive your true native name.
                            Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

This is awful weird to me....

If I get this wrong let me know....

It seems like a friend of yours came up to you already with the intention of giving a name they came up with in English and want to translate it to ANY native language and call it an "Indian name" for that person....

Sounds like a Boy Scout ceremony.

I'll offer this one humble opinion on the subject.

Where I'm from an "Indian name" doesn't have a lot of fanfare involved with it. It's simply what you call someone when you're speaking Indian with them. Most times it's a "nickname" (and I use that term loosely) that the members of the community have come to know them by. Could've come from a variety of places....how they look, what they're behaviors tend to be...something special they've done and everyone remembers....

IMHO this person should take the time to learn their own language to be sure they know how to use it when they get this name. If they really wanna do it right tell them not to rush and end up "dumbing down" something tribes still hold on to with high regard. This type of thing shouldn't be about showing it off in public or trying to find acceptance. It should find them...not them pushing to get it done.

Another perspective...With other tribes I've never seen anyone RECEIVE a name in public at a pow-wow. The places I've seen it done is at homes of the family or if it does take place at a pow-wow it's at the camp away from the public. If a giveaway of some sort is done I've also seen it done small and privately.

Even with barely knowing the circumstances...seeing how you've described them.....I'd strongly tell them to wait.

Rock

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X