Naming at a powwow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i respect the naming

I respect the naming. I hold my own name close to me as well as my spirit name too. But i have many "pet" names like Stacks Alot =). but i asked only a few people about the word snow, because i was curious too. I got an answer from a few so i thank you for your help anyway. I do respect the Traditional way and been raised so. and I strongly believe that this is a part of a name. this also will be done semi secretly , not in the spectators eye. Do not fret. I treat everything with respect.
    Thank you again, AHO,
    Stacks_Alot

Comment

Originally posted by DANCINGEAGLE
      A naming should be done privately and by an elder. These types of ceremonies should not be done for the general public to see. The next thing you know, someone will be selling the "Naming Video" for $29.95 with instructions on how to receive your true native name.
      You should some of the "Naming Ceremonies" that they do at certain powwows in Mass and CT. It's nothing to see an "elder" naming 20 to 30 people at a time, in the arena with a mic. I was at one where the MC actually announced that if you wanted an indian name to come to the arbor and you could be part of the naming ceremony.
      I'm not mean....You're just a sissy

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
      http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70

Comment

Originally posted by ndngirl70
        You should some of the "Naming Ceremonies" that they do at certain powwows in Mass and CT. It's nothing to see an "elder" naming 20 to 30 people at a time, in the arena with a mic. I was at one where the MC actually announced that if you wanted an indian name to come to the arbor and you could be part of the naming ceremony.
        there was a guy in OH who was ndn and a medicine person and well known that was putting anyone who wanted a name on a little hill for an hour...then he would give you a "name" in a "ceremony" AND you even got a certificate with your new name on it...all for a price of course
        sigpic
        TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

i wonder if you get the .com addy with your new ndn name included in your powwow naming....
          sigpic
          TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

ndng,

Hey that's where I got my two indian names, in Mass and CT!

In Mass I was given the sacred name:

"Two Hamburger Buns walking down the Interstate"

In CT, I was given the spiritual name:

"Laughing Kidney Gravy!"
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
              ndng,

Hey that's where I got my two indian names, in Mass and CT!

In Mass I was given the sacred name:

"Two Hamburger Buns walking down the Interstate"

In CT, I was given the spiritual name:

"Laughing Kidney Gravy!"
              LMAO
              I think some of them were like "Fierce Wolverine that eats Fuzzy Bunnies" or "Streaking Moon"
              I'm not mean....You're just a sissy

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
              http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70

Comment

LMAO
                I think some of them were like "Fierce Wolverine that eats Fuzzy Bunnies" or "Streaking Moon"
                Ewwwww "Streaking Moon"?? Some Charmin toilet paper should correct that problem.
                Cariblanguage.org

Comment

LMAO
                  LMIAO ''quarter pounder with cheese''
                  sigpic
                  TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

ROFL!! Hell ya, I remember those! Dont forget the staged "ndn" wedding they have every year with the same couple.

Comment

my all time personal favorite"indian" name is Crystal Rainbow Flying Hawk Medicine" ... had a woman at a powwow come up and tell me that was her ndn name
                      sigpic
                      TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

friend fo mine had a naming ceremony don't at a particular pow wow because that pow wow had special meaning, was were he met his wife and where all his kids first enter the pow wow arena.
                        Bahnisiain

Comment

friend fo mine had a naming ceremony don't at a particular pow wow because that pow wow had special meaning,

Translation?

Comment

I think I'm going to write a book of NDN names - like they have in the Pregancy and Birth section of any book store.

Anyone care to contribute? If you do - I'll include you in the dedication and maybe give you cut of the profits.

Bonus points if your list is alphabetized.

I already have the title "Truly Authentic Names for your Native American Heart"

Comment

Originally posted by Singing Eagle
                              I think I'm going to write a book of NDN names - like they have in the Pregancy and Birth section of any book store.

Anyone care to contribute? If you do - I'll include you in the dedication and maybe give you cut of the profits.

Bonus points if your list is alphabetized.

I already have the title "Truly Authentic Names for your Native American Heart"
                              a brillant idea real names or the good made up new agey ones?
                              sigpic
                              TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Originally posted by sokoki_wolf
                                a brillant idea real names or the good made up new agey ones?
                                I'm sure the names will be really good new agey and made up!

And we'll make a load of dough!
                                Last edited by Singing Eagle; 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X