Naming at a powwow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sokoki_wolf
    a brillant idea real names or the good made up new agey ones?
    BTW - I'm joking!
    Last edited by Singing Eagle; 01-26-2006, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Singing Eagle
      I'm sure the names will be really good new agey and made up!

And we'll make a load of dough!

BTW - I'm joking!
      awwwwwwwwwwww lol
      sigpic
      TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Isn't it funny, that, when you meet certain people at p/w's they all have the same ndn name. I meet more MorningStar's, Mayflower's, MedicineOwl's, TwoHawks, Man with Eagle Spirits, etc... than ever now. I even mc'd a p/w one time and had someone ask me how could they get an ndn name, or worse, how do you become ndn. I should have told them for a nominal fee I could take care of all of that for them. Boy, people's stupidity.
        Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

What about "Breaking Wind" or "Changing Moon". I think that someone actually had the last one for a name.

What I really love is when you tell someone your name and they say "No...your Indian Name!"
          I'm not mean....You're just a sissy

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
          http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70

Comment

Originally posted by ndngirl70
            What about "Breaking Wind" or "Changing Moon". I think that someone actually had the last one for a name.

What I really love is when you tell someone your name and they say "No...your Indian Name!"
            Yep. I've gone through that as well. They look at you funny when you tell them that you don't have one. Besides, they don't need to know anyway.
            Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

[QUOTE=ndngirl70]What about "Breaking Wind"...QUOTE]

Good one for my husband!

Comment

when ever im asked what my indian name is, i smile and reply" fred"
                ( and i didnt get it at a powwow)
                sigpic
                TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Originally posted by Singing Eagle
                  BTW - I'm joking!
                  AWWWW! I know of some textbook indians and wannabes out east that would pay bucks for that book! I was even working on the list!
                  got dang!

Comment

My dad gave my mom a new name after she bought a new set of cookware. She is still called "Many Pots" around the old homestead!

Comment

lol... yes there are some interesting ones out there. Not many natives give their ndn names out. I used to, but its usually my side names now. Stacks Alot is a common one my huki'api use. An elder out west gave me that after watching me stack rocks when i got bored in the evenings . So the name stuck. Other than that Ive learned pretty quick to keep my "good" name to myself. I did like the quote about saying your fist name and ya didnt get it out at a powwow...lol =)

Stacks_Alot

Comment

Originally posted by DANCINGEAGLE
                        Isn't it funny, that, when you meet certain people at p/w's they all have the same ndn name. I meet more MorningStar's, Mayflower's, MedicineOwl's, TwoHawks, Man with Eagle Spirits, etc... than ever now. I even mc'd a p/w one time and had someone ask me how could they get an ndn name, or worse, how do you become ndn. I should have told them for a nominal fee I could take care of all of that for them. Boy, people's stupidity.

Same names, there is a possiblity they are relatives. You never know.

Comment

ok

T hey call me Big Chief Morning Wood....
                          "To follow the right path, is one to follow the mistakes he made in life, to learn off them. Learn to understand them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anishnawbe10
                            T hey call me Big Chief Morning Wood....
                            LMAO

Comment

i saw someone who called themselves "Running Bare"
                              sigpic
                              TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Want to set things straight...

About the naming, it was not me. Further more I have enough respect for ones name given. The naming went on, BUT not at a powwow. I too believe it shouldnt be done in front of spectators. And this was given by a medicine person. All I wanted to know was the translation of the word Snow. Thats it! I was curious myself. I know bits and pieces of the languages back here in Ohio. So everyone Im very traditional and choose to keep that way. As Creator made me. To help all the People. So CHILL out everybody! I want no bad raps. Im a loving person,always and will be.

Creator be with all,
                                Stacks_Alot

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X