Naming at a powwow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stacks_Alot
    All I wanted to know was the translation of the word Snow. Thats it!
    well how come you didn't just ask that, then?
    Never lick a steak knife.

Comment

Seems like I never hear my ndn name sept when I'm in trouble....
      My wife will use my full given name when she's purturbed, but the second she pulls out my full ndn name, then I know she means business! LOL
      I became a singer because I love to sing... and to feed my addiction to cough drops!

Comment

I respect people's idea that a naming should be done in private, and if thats what you believe or its your own tribe's custom..great...that is exactly how it should be.
        However, I get the impression that you are trying to insinuate on everyone that a naming should ONLY be done in private. It's not like that everywhere, and there are MANY reasons why people do them at powwows or even after Sundance is over. Here on my reservation we do them at powwows because we like to share our joys and accomplishments with everyone...you know..Mitakuye Oyasin..we are all related!

I think it's more respectful to acknowledge that your beliefs are your own...not just judge people by stating that namings SHOULD be done in private...why? Maybe if you explain yourself as I have done it wouldn't come off so disrespectfully....thanks for listening....
        Ipsica Waci
        Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Originally posted by wiyan
          I respect people's idea that a naming should be done in private, and if thats what you believe or its your own tribe's custom..great...that is exactly how it should be.
          However, I get the impression that you are trying to insinuate on everyone that a naming should ONLY be done in private. It's not like that everywhere, and there are MANY reasons why people do them at powwows or even after Sundance is over. Here on my reservation we do them at powwows because we like to share our joys and accomplishments with everyone...you know..Mitakuye Oyasin..we are all related!

I think it's more respectful to acknowledge that your beliefs are your own...not just judge people by stating that namings SHOULD be done in private...why? Maybe if you explain yourself as I have done it wouldn't come off so disrespectfully....thanks for listening....
          I argee with you fully. This was the only one i knew of that was among a small group. But i have also seen my little sister named at a powwow on a reservation. It is a ccelebrated event and yes we are all related. We celebrate many names with Creator as well as human beings. Thru out life many names are changed. With the Crow if a baby was named and the infant got sick and didnt do well, the eldest would give another name to make them strong again. Yes it is in the tradition of ones nation as well i guess. But good prayers are always good in names as well.

Comment

Stacks alot, I think it strange to go on powwows.com and ask for any language's word for snow. You just invited all of these responses.
            By the way, my grandpa's indian name for my grandma was 'Sylvia Afraid of a Whiteman'.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X