Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swbreez
    replied
    Stacks alot, I think it strange to go on powwows.com and ask for any language's word for snow. You just invited all of these responses.
    By the way, my grandpa's indian name for my grandma was 'Sylvia Afraid of a Whiteman'.

Leave a comment:

• Stacks_Alot
    replied
    Originally posted by wiyan
    I respect people's idea that a naming should be done in private, and if thats what you believe or its your own tribe's custom..great...that is exactly how it should be.
    However, I get the impression that you are trying to insinuate on everyone that a naming should ONLY be done in private. It's not like that everywhere, and there are MANY reasons why people do them at powwows or even after Sundance is over. Here on my reservation we do them at powwows because we like to share our joys and accomplishments with everyone...you know..Mitakuye Oyasin..we are all related!

I think it's more respectful to acknowledge that your beliefs are your own...not just judge people by stating that namings SHOULD be done in private...why? Maybe if you explain yourself as I have done it wouldn't come off so disrespectfully....thanks for listening....
    I argee with you fully. This was the only one i knew of that was among a small group. But i have also seen my little sister named at a powwow on a reservation. It is a ccelebrated event and yes we are all related. We celebrate many names with Creator as well as human beings. Thru out life many names are changed. With the Crow if a baby was named and the infant got sick and didnt do well, the eldest would give another name to make them strong again. Yes it is in the tradition of ones nation as well i guess. But good prayers are always good in names as well.

Leave a comment:

• wiyan
    replied
    I respect people's idea that a naming should be done in private, and if thats what you believe or its your own tribe's custom..great...that is exactly how it should be.
    However, I get the impression that you are trying to insinuate on everyone that a naming should ONLY be done in private. It's not like that everywhere, and there are MANY reasons why people do them at powwows or even after Sundance is over. Here on my reservation we do them at powwows because we like to share our joys and accomplishments with everyone...you know..Mitakuye Oyasin..we are all related!

I think it's more respectful to acknowledge that your beliefs are your own...not just judge people by stating that namings SHOULD be done in private...why? Maybe if you explain yourself as I have done it wouldn't come off so disrespectfully....thanks for listening....

Leave a comment:

• RedShield
    replied
    Seems like I never hear my ndn name sept when I'm in trouble....
    My wife will use my full given name when she's purturbed, but the second she pulls out my full ndn name, then I know she means business! LOL

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied
    Originally posted by Stacks_Alot
    All I wanted to know was the translation of the word Snow. Thats it!
    well how come you didn't just ask that, then?

Leave a comment:

• Stacks_Alot
    replied
    Want to set things straight...

About the naming, it was not me. Further more I have enough respect for ones name given. The naming went on, BUT not at a powwow. I too believe it shouldnt be done in front of spectators. And this was given by a medicine person. All I wanted to know was the translation of the word Snow. Thats it! I was curious myself. I know bits and pieces of the languages back here in Ohio. So everyone Im very traditional and choose to keep that way. As Creator made me. To help all the People. So CHILL out everybody! I want no bad raps. Im a loving person,always and will be.

Creator be with all,
    Stacks_Alot

Leave a comment:

• sokoki_wolf
    replied
    i saw someone who called themselves "Running Bare"

Leave a comment:

• ndngirl70
    replied
    Originally posted by Anishnawbe10
    T hey call me Big Chief Morning Wood....
    LMAO

Leave a comment:

• Anishnawbe10
    replied
    ok

T hey call me Big Chief Morning Wood....

Leave a comment:

• badmaninc
    replied
    Originally posted by DANCINGEAGLE
    Isn't it funny, that, when you meet certain people at p/w's they all have the same ndn name. I meet more MorningStar's, Mayflower's, MedicineOwl's, TwoHawks, Man with Eagle Spirits, etc... than ever now. I even mc'd a p/w one time and had someone ask me how could they get an ndn name, or worse, how do you become ndn. I should have told them for a nominal fee I could take care of all of that for them. Boy, people's stupidity.

Same names, there is a possiblity they are relatives. You never know.

Leave a comment:

• Stacks_Alot
    replied
    lol... yes there are some interesting ones out there. Not many natives give their ndn names out. I used to, but its usually my side names now. Stacks Alot is a common one my huki'api use. An elder out west gave me that after watching me stack rocks when i got bored in the evenings . So the name stuck. Other than that Ive learned pretty quick to keep my "good" name to myself. I did like the quote about saying your fist name and ya didnt get it out at a powwow...lol =)

Stacks_Alot

Leave a comment:

• ndngirl70
    replied
    My dad gave my mom a new name after she bought a new set of cookware. She is still called "Many Pots" around the old homestead!

Leave a comment:

• Dakota Wica'hpi Ina
    replied
    Originally posted by Singing Eagle
    BTW - I'm joking!
    AWWWW! I know of some textbook indians and wannabes out east that would pay bucks for that book! I was even working on the list!
    got dang!

Leave a comment:

• sokoki_wolf
    replied
    when ever im asked what my indian name is, i smile and reply" fred"
    ( and i didnt get it at a powwow)

Leave a comment:

• WocusWoman
    replied
    [QUOTE=ndngirl70]What about "Breaking Wind"...QUOTE]

Good one for my husband!

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X