Denver March Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suthernwaterbird
    WHAAAT?? there was what, 3 southern drums? Thas ridiculous. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to show up next year.
    suthern,

Actually there were 8 southern drums.

Here's some of the adult dance winnners:

Men's Fancy 1st Jazz Bearstail
    Men's Traditional 1st Hawk ThunderHawk
    Men's Grass 1st Randy Paskamin
    Men't Straight 1st Juaquin Hamilton

Women's Southern Buckskin 1st Toni Tsatoke, Salina Todome got 3rd in Southern Buckskin.

Roberta Wind Chief 1st Women's golden Age
    (?) Zephier 1st Men's Golden Age

More news....

There were over 1500 registered dancers. Some guy showed up on Sunday with a shiner. One girl got hickeys on her ankle (according to the emcee). Nobody got divorced. *L

Controversy....

Randy Paskamin's number got called out as the winner of the Men's Old Style Grass dance special....

... and he didn't even dance in the that contest!

Hmmmmm?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

dang really? who actually won it?!?
      Watch your broken dreams...
      Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff
        The Consolation winners danced of for the 500$
        Wayne Fox won it.

others were
        Adam Nordwell
        Lakota Clairmont
        George Growing Thunder
        Julius Not Afraid
        Mens inhumanity to each other is surpassed ONLY by what women do to each other.
        <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
        Quote: "I blame it on my youngnessness..." BTH
        DEATH TO ALL LURKERS!!!! ME

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff

Well after a long and tense wait. Randy came up and told the announcer, "hey, I didn't even dance."

The first four got called up by number.

After the long and tense wait they also called up Lakota Clairmont, by name.

So to save face, they let the 5 consolation winners compete against each other to determine the winner. The five were:

George Growing Thunder, MT
          Adam Nordwell, NV
          Julius Not Afraid, SD (*L registered as from Oklahoma City)
          Wayne Fox, ND
          Lakota Clairmont, CO

Two out of the three judges were from Ft. Berthold rez.

Guess who won?
          Last edited by WhoMe; 03-28-2006, 03:11 PM.
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

dam how da hell did THAT happen?!? sounds really "fishy" to me too ....

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
              So to save face, they let the 5 consolation winners compete against each other to determine the winner. The five were:

George Growing Thunder, MT
              Adam Nordwell, NV
              Julius Not Afraid, SD (*L registered as from Oklahoma City)
              Wayne Fox, ND
              Lakota Clairmont, CO

Two out of the three judges were from Ft. Berthold rez.

Guess who won?
              I was wondering why Adam didn't place....they should have let the crowd choose.

Comment

re: special

well, they also kept calling for a consolation winner number which never showed up I don't think..hahaha phantom dancers..but if he didn't dance then how did they get his number for first place??? LOL..that is too funny...unless someone wanted him to win first oops didn't realize he wasn't dancin out there...lol...crazee...that happened in the traditional special too..the night before they kept calling this number but nobody claimed the prize..lol...
                "Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of mankind. Did you think the Creator would create unnecessary people in such terrible danger? Know that you yourself are essential to this World."-A. Looking Horse

Comment

who is the new Denver March Princess?
                  Wiky Chick

Comment

old style.....well from what i think.....

all dancers where gooot dancrs....they all had there style... a lil bit of ole and lil bit of them. so they all deserve what they got. for those who didnt know i notice one give there prize up to a drum group... but if i had to choose between these fize i wud have to say that Lakota had my vote as far as OLD STYLE . like i said some put what they where taught as far as old style, but they where all goot dancers...

Comment

I have good things to say and bad things....all in all I fully enjoyed Denver March pow-wow 2006....all except for the way the singing contest was ran. In my opinion...favoritism was used...I witnessed it myself.

The dead give-away for the Denver March fix-ups this year..should have been quite evident when Randy Paskemin's number was called out for the first place champion in a grass dance special that he DID NOT even dance in!!! come on now......

And what about the judging ways...drums such as us rock hill, yellowface, arapaho nation were judged only 2 times, when others were judged 3 or 4.
                      In my opinion it seemed as though they were delibertly trying to catch us off guard and wanting us to mess up, but every time they called upon us, we were more than ready...I mean they automatically jumped from drum 21 to drum 26 (us) for a contest song, then back to 22, and then skipped over us until the evening ??? what's up with that?

A youngbird singer also said come Sunday night, after the drum contest results were announced that Rock Hill was in 2nd and Meskwaki was in 1st, well then how come it didnt come out that way, there was no way that those 2 drums could have lost all of that come sunday unless something was going on behind the books...when this was brought to our attention, our lead singer went to the announcer stand and asked to speak with a pow-wow committee meber as well as a family member, and when asked if he could look at the books/ballots. they refused and when asked why? they gave no answer. If all was ran fair and the results were what they shoiuld have been shouldnt they be able to show the books right then and there? and have nothing to hide?

IDK many things were sketchy at that pow-wow and what comes to mind all over again was WINNEBAGGO POW-WOW *L*

But that is just my two Canadian cents...*L*....

Big ups to Blackstone and the McGilvery Girls..ya'll rocked it....and to the Boyz..woot! woot! and MNX!!!....

Katie
                      My Sun Keeps Shining Day to Day- You May Hate It. But No One Can Ever Take That Away.

Comment

Originally posted by Veon

BTW, Adrianna Roulliard won the DMP Princess title.
                        "Talk Is Fine- If You Got The Time, But I Ain't Got No Time To Spare...."

Comment

Holy all the Drama!!

First of all, never have been to Denver March Pow-wow, I don't get to say too much, BUT.... I'm sure the spectators notice all the mess up here and there. Granted for Larger powwow such as Denver it's a shame but when you have like 10,000 people show up and you have all kinds committe members running around and not quit on the same page, things happen. Still one would think when they take numbers a second person would verify all the numbers wouldn't you? And I'm sure in every powwow or almost every powwow theres gonna be favortizim. Family blood is thick right!? But the dancers came forward and did the right thing and from what I can tell everyone enjoyed themselves right. so let all hope and pray it works out better next year
                          I'M HAVING PEPSI WISHES AND INDIAN TACO DREAMS

Comment

Denver March is a good powwow that I look up to as an organizer of another urban powwow.

It's too bad that a couple of mistakes were made so visible to everybody in attendence....but as far as the grass dance special goes.....that was an honest mistake. Anybody that knows Randy P. knows that he wouldn't stand for bull-sh*t like that....he's survived on the circuit for a long ol' time by being good natured and fair. so I think they just wrote down the wrong number.....there are still good people and fair contests out there....:):)
                            Last edited by uw_n8iv; 03-29-2006, 05:04 AM.
                            there's no "i" in Yakama

My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Furiously-Fancy
                              Yeah and Jennifer and Candice had a dance off too! KEWL!!
                              hmm..
                              Mr Oakley was here

see my powwow videos here...
                              www.youtube.com/oaklee84

Comment

DANG!! knew randy was good but dang winnin a special that he didn't even dance in?!? but props to him for going up and tellin the truth though ...

were the sponsors of the special just hopin noone would notice and how much different/same was HIS number to the dancers called out to the dance off?!?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.