What? No Host Drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What? No Host Drums?

There is a powwow in Tennessee that called to ask for some advice.

They said they wanted to do something different this year.

Instead of host northern and southern drums, they want to instead have a drum contest.

They said they would offer $4000, $3000, $2000 and $1000 in a combined drum contest. This is done in hopes of bringing in multiple drums.

Is this suicide, since it's not close to too many drum groups?

Is this a good idea?

If you were/are a singer, would you travel that distance on a chance of taking home some prize money?
    Last edited by WhoMe; 04-18-2006, 02:19 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

I was working on a committee where we had enough money for a real good host drum, instead I talked them into a drum contest that paid $3000-$2000-$1000. Instead of us having one real good drum and a lot of locals we ended up with Blackstone, Black Lodge, Southern Cree, Young Grey Horse, Dine Nation Jr., Cathedral Lakes, and Red Stone. Needless to say we were very happy with the decision.
    It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

No host drum

I am sure some good drums would show up for that kinda dough. But it just seems a little cheap to me them not having a host drum. I want to say 'doesn't seem traditional', but I guess with competitions come competitive ways of doing things.
      Dance together.

Comment

Many people choose to go to powwows, because of who is advertised as the head staff. It seems a big risk to put that much $$ into a drum contest and not get the caliber of drums you are hoping to attract.

If this is what they choose to do, they better be sure to advertise the contest and maybe even talk to some lead singers.

Comment

I don't know if I agree with not having a host drum or not, they are usually the drum judges, are they not? Personally I know ERS would travel over one state for $'s like that. When and where?
          What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nativegal
            Personally I know ERS would travel over one state for $'s like that. When and where?

Nashville NAIA Powwow, October 20, 21 and 22, 2006.

I will post details once the poster comes out.

Comment

If your powwow is between two other powwows on a drums schedule it would work out. A friend ran apowwow the weekend before a big contest powwow so he got a few good drums that were on their way to the big powwow.
              There are 2 types of people in the world...
              Really stupid people who think they are smart
              and
              Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Welp...We're out...gotta contract in the mail for that weekend!

LOL....Maybe Zotigh can go and take 1st place since we're not gonna show! ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Originally posted by stomp
                  I want to say 'doesn't seem traditional', but I guess with competitions come competitive ways of doing things.
                  What's traditional for some Tribes isn't for others. Our Tribe never advertises a host drum and we never have Head dancers as everyone is considered equal. The only powwow staff would be the arena director and/or whipman/whipwoman, MC etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakeeya
                    What's traditional for some Tribes isn't for others. Our Tribe never advertises a host drum and we never have Head dancers as everyone is considered equal. The only powwow staff would be the arena director and/or whipman/whipwoman, MC etc.

Kaykeeya,

This is a good point.

Powwows didn't used to have Host and Invited Drums anywhere!

Now we think it's strange when there aren't any.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                      Kaykeeya,

This is a good point.

Powwows didn't used to have Host and Invited Drums anywhere!

Now we think it's strange when there aren't any.
                      Ennit huh!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                        There is a powwow in Tennessee that called to ask for some advice.

They said they wanted to do something different this year.

Instead of host northern and southern drums, they want to instead have a drum contest.

They said they would offer $4000, $3000, $2000 and $1000 in a combined drum contest. This is done in hopes of bringing in multiple drums.

Is this suicide, since it's not close to too many drum groups?

Is this a good idea?

If you were/are a singer, would you travel that distance on a chance of taking home some prize money?
                        I KNOW WE WILL IF WERE NOT CONTRACTED THAT WEEKEND
                        long hair

Comment

Usually it's the drums that draw dancers. Who wants to dance to unexperienced drums. It's never the mc, or the
                          ad or the head dancers that interest me. I could care less. It's the drum groups that can rock that are big draws. Maybe ask some drums if they are interested. Like invited drums or something like that. Just adding my two cents.

Los

Comment

Big time names don't get me moving - somehow a lot of them are starting to sound a little to much alike, and other than the words, a lot of those Ojibwe drums just don't sound Ojibwe to me. I like those old timey songs better anyhow - like in that song from "Risky Business" starring the Cruiser.

There main thing that influences my decision on whether or not to go to a dance is who the spiritual advisor is - some of those guys out there are pure nuts. I remember I was out in Michigan once (man, that place is duster than SoDak!) and this one guy who was sposed to know everything was just talkin crazy all weekend - I swear he was just makin protocol up on the spot - like playing "Simon Says". But I guess that's his way.

I like goin where that Emmit Eastman is too - he's fun to be around and likes to chew the ol' kidney fat at mealtime! Pretty good dancer too.
                            Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.