• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suthernwaterbird
    nobody
    • Nov 2004

Nmai

Is it going on this year??? Anyone have any info? Couldn't find anything on the site.
    bucwild2012
  • ccreek10
    Tiny Tot Dancer
    • Feb 2005

They're planning the next one for 2007 sometime. Haven't found out the details yet.

Comment

• bahnisiain
      Eastern Blanket Dancer
      • Dec 2001

i happened to like the pow wow at NMAI, i'll aim for it next year.
      Bahnisiain

Comment

• WhoMe
        PauWau Coordinator
        • Jul 2003

The Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian will again have their National Powwow in 2007.

Due to the expense and staff needed for the event, the National Powwow will take place every other year.

Last year, the committee selected the theme "Origins of the Powwow" to accomodate the educational mission of the Smithsonian. Using this theme, selected dancers demonstated the earliest possible form of each of the powwow dances. The origin of each powwow style was also explained in detail as well as the origins of other powwow protocol.

Next year, we will have an equally educational theme that is currently being developed.

Hopefully both powwow participants and the public can benefit from the educational aspect of these themes.
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

• Strugganona
          Miss Struggs
          • Feb 2006

I really enjoyed this pow wow, too.

The explanations were really unique, but truly ingenius considering all the toursits. It was Swwwweeeeet when the lights would turn off and the spotlight was put on the lone dancer exhibitioning the style. I liked that they included the Crow style and Traditional Side Step as well.

My only concern was the food situation. There weren't enough food stands, and the lines were toooooo looooong to stand in. If you are a dancer and/or singer, it was an inconvenience to HAVE to stand in line for 30 minutes just so you can eat or feed your kids. It was a bit useful when the McDonalds around the corner was discovered until EVERYONE went there. Then there was a 30 minute wait there, too. I know that having food stands is no where near as easy to have as craft vendors, but I hope that this will be fixed for the 2007 pow wow.

Other than the food, I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS! I LOVE DC!
          "Talk Is Fine- If You Got The Time, But I Ain't Got No Time To Spare...."

Comment

• bahnisiain
            Eastern Blanket Dancer
            • Dec 2001

DC is a gret city to start with, lots of things to do anyway. the explainations were great. i agree that the lines for getting food was LONG! what they should do is have more food vendors.
            Bahnisiain

Comment

• between2worlds
              Great Uncle Patrick
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Strugganona
              It was a bit useful when the McDonalds around the corner was discovered until EVERYONE went there.
              About a block and a half the other way from McDonald's is a Burger King as well, but not too many people found that .

I live in the DC Metro area and will probably be posting a "How to do DC on the Cheap" guide once we get more details on the 2007 NMAI powwow (more than just "probably in August" according to the folks I know there).

~b2w

Comment

• Emmy
                Flat E!
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by between2worlds
                About a block and a half the other way from McDonald's is a Burger King as well, but not too many people found that .

I live in the DC Metro area and will probably be posting a "How to do DC on the Cheap" guide once we get more details on the 2007 NMAI powwow (more than just "probably in August" according to the folks I know there).

~b2w
                there are tons of food place around the Verizon center... subway, mcd's, fuddruckers, chipotles, burgerking, quiznos cosi, popeyes... thats all i can think of quick and close
                Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

~Flat Beat~

Comment

• between2worlds
                  Great Uncle Patrick
                  • Nov 2005

Love Fuddruckers!!!!

I know a lot of the out of towners were confused as to where you can find grocery stores and such like in DC, heard grumbling about the cost of hotels (cheaper north and east of DC but there are reasonably priced ones within blocks of green line train stations which is the train line that has a station underneath Verizon Center), lots of stuff that us locals can help folks clue in to.

~b2w

Comment

• bahnisiain
                    Eastern Blanket Dancer
                    • Dec 2001

Fuddrucker's is one of my favorite places. we used to have one near me, but closed.
                    Bahnisiain

Comment

• Strugganona
                      Miss Struggs
                      • Feb 2006

I think that yous all will HAVE to post detailed maps and directions on how to reach all the places to eat! I mean VERY detailed, too....*L*....how many minutes/footsteps before we need to turn and what not. Otherwise, I will get lost and way crabby. *L*
                      "Talk Is Fine- If You Got The Time, But I Ain't Got No Time To Spare...."

Comment

• kiowakat
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2002

good times!!!

Comment

• hywalker
                          Kiowakat's #1 fan
                          • Sep 2005

had a great time there in 2005, our first time in dc too. i think we might have starved but found that the police were very helpful in pointing us in the right directions and cabs that come out of nowhere as soon as u wave your hand lol. I am hoping we can make it there in 2007, u just cant see it all in 1 trip . of course if we would have read the packet the museum gave us we would have found restaraunts and such pointed out, had the perfect timing to find this information while reading the package on the plane ride home lol ah well. would appreciate any visitor guide u would put out , specially if it has maps and how many footsteps to the food lol.
                          Please visit http://www.kiowakat.com/
                          "The truth shall set you free, but first it's gonna piss you off a whole lot".

Comment

• between2worlds
                            Great Uncle Patrick
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hywalker
                            would appreciate any visitor guide u would put out , specially if it has maps and how many footsteps to the food lol.
                            Being the geek sort, I will be putting up a website of the stuff (as soon as I can get a firm date out of the NMAI staff that I trade emails with). I am hoping that when I do some of the local folk will be chiming in... and any of the out of towners who have suggestions/questions as to where stuff is will also contribute!

~b2w

Comment

• Eagle Plumes
                              Pow Wow Committee
                              • Sep 2005

Your so helpful BTW!
                              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.