Arthur's Indiana Metis powwow.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur's Indiana Metis powwow.....

The powwow was last weekend at Indy. I went. I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated after being to the other "event" I went to the previous weekend. It was typical for a Indiana powwow.

Some of the same spooky people were at both events but the real difference I noticed was this last one had a better all around "feel good" feeling and not so much "oddness".

This one had a couple good dancers. That other event didn't have what I would call dancers. Couple of the dancers were down right painful to watch. My opinion..... there was only one jingle dancer out there and she should not be dancing jingle yet........ needs alot more practice. Dress needs to be longer. One woman *cough~choke~sputter* "traditional" dancer was really odd.She was at the other event also. She comes up at just looks at me ..... stops and kinda smiles while she just stares at me. Anyway her dancing is also odd she took real slow steps..... kind of swung side to side..... all this really slow hesitating steps.... had her eyes shut..... face up... looked like she was rocking instead of dancing.

I thought the drum area was kind of cool....... It was in a circle of tall pine trees in the middle of the circle. That made for some nice shade for them. There were three or four drums. One wasn't too bad. Other one was ok. One was bad. It was better than a tape player for your only drum though....

One of the things I didn't understand with the grand entry was the lead singer for it didn't keep an eye on the dancers and so when head vet (George Martin) came back full circle they kept going and going...... George just stopped and stopped other dancers to wait till they got done. He had to stand there at least two times through.

Traders were sparse ( I love lots of traders! ) but were not bad. None of the plastic or japanese crap that I noticed. I got some grand homemade Juniperberry soap!

When I and the hubby were walking around....... by this one trader a guy came out from under the awning. He came out to greet me. I think he wanted to shake hands or something but I'm not like that without out some kind of exchange first. He had some kinda leather hat on. He thanked me for coming. Said he hoped we were having a good time and that he hopes we enjoyed ourselves. Yeah..... it was Arthur.

For the most part it was pretty uneventful. It was a nice evening out of the house.
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

I have to agree... it went a lot better than what I was expecting, was a cool area, and I enjoyed singing there this past weekend.

As for the drums, I thought they all did a good job. If you like Southern... Thunder Nation did a great job, if you like Northern... Estayapi did a great job... we sing a little old school Northern, but more Southern than anything else... and I thought we did pretty well... I do know what you mean about the second grand entry... it went a little long, but I can't remember who got that song other than... it wasn't us... LOL.

Sunday was interesting with the rain, but the pavilion worked well as a back-up. A little cramped, but the dance kept going!

All in all... we had a good weekend, were some things that made me lift an eyebrow, but was definately A LOT better than last year.

Just my 49 cents worth.

Paselo
    I became a singer because I love to sing... and to feed my addiction to cough drops!

Comment

There were powwow drums there????
      Howw odd. Metis are not into intertribal dancing and singing. But.......... put on the jiggin' tunes, you can't sit 'em down.

Comment

We did sound for the powwow. We gave them 5000 watts on eight concert speakers on stands. We arrived on Friday night. (OK Saturday morning about 1:00AM) from the Akron, Ohio area. We would have made it in before midnight but someone swiped all the powwow signs. It's hard to read street signs in the dark. Big powwow signs are easier to follow. We missed a few turns then decided to use the S.W.A.G. method of navagation (sceintific wild assed guess). Works every time! After unloading and staging sound equipment for setup in the morning, we crashed in the "tin tipi" (motor home) for the night.

I have never seen a circle setup like this one. There was an infield of pines where the drum arbor was, and the circle surrounded the pines. I thought it was quite odd but soon realised the thought process that was put into this unique idea. The drum area stayed shaded due to the tall pines and was actually cooled from the breese. Natural air conditioning on a hot day. Someone was thinking in a good way. The circle was almost 200 feet in diameter it seemed. It was huge. You could fit 500 men with bustles and not have a traffic problem. Lots of space to dance. Usually everyone dances under a hot sun, but not here. If you moved to the inside of the circle, the "natural air conditioning" actually cooled you down and at least 1/2 of the circle was shaded at all times. Someone was really thinking of the dancers not over heating in the circle.

What impressed me most was a round dance on Saturday afternoon. There were enough dancers and spectators in this hugh circle to actually form a ring around the circle with all holding hands without a break. (no beginning, no end)

When my daughter (12 years old OK almost 13) looked at the circle for the first time on Saturday morning. She told me that the circle looked like a grass race track. I told her "What do you expect, Were in Indianapolis home of the Indi 500. The whole city is consumed with auto racing." We both laughed and smiled. I then told her to put on her Fancy Shawl dance outfit and get ready for Grand Entry. She skipped off with a glee to get ready. "Today we Dance"!

The Saturday supper feed was BBQ chicken off the coals with all the fixings. "All you can eat" and boy did we eat well. There was enough food to feed everyone at the powwow including spectators. Everyone was invited for dinner that attended. Dancer, vendor, drum, spectator, it didn't matter who you were. If you were hungry, you left with a full belly and a smile.

Saturday evening we danced untill moments before the rain came in. The session was extended almost an hour passed the advertised closing time of the circle. The drums didn't stop untill all the dancers left the circle and surrounding area. The drums stayed untill the last dancer stopped for the night. It was a great day!

Sunday morning was plagued by rain and the dance area was moved to the covered pavilion to protect us from the rain. During the dancing the sun came out briefly only to be chased away by another rain cloud time after time. It didn't matter because we danced all day and stayed dry. The powwow was suppose to end at 5:00PM on Sunday but the drums kept running songs untill almost 7:00PM. Just like Saturday evening, the drums didn't stop untill the last dancer left the area.

Over the past year, I have been told by several people about "Arthur's Powwows" and what a mess they were. I was advised not to commit to his powwows. I have found those rumors to be very untrue. The entire powwow comittee was very kind, helpfull, and very respectfull to all who attended. Arthur was a wonderfull host as well. He did this one Right!!!

I will be back! You have been warned!!!!!
        Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Comment

The Peoples Pow Wow of Indiana

My Brothers and Sisters,
          I feel honored people call the pow wow mine but in truth "It is the peoples not mine". I am just a spoke in the great wheel just like the layout of the circle that some were able to see while there.
          The Zibiodey/ River Heart Metis were the Sponsors as were the American Indian Center of Indiana and Eagle Creek Park. Arthur is just a hard worker trying to make sure the families are having a wonderful time and making sure peoples needs are met plus it is good to re-educate the public to understand our ways and feelings.
          Thank you for the love, honor and respect.
          Arthur

Comment

and then he had to open his mouth.........

Originally posted by arthurmedicineeagle
            My Brothers and Sisters,
            I feel honored people call the pow wow mine but in truth "It is the peoples not mine". I am just a spoke in the great wheel just like the layout of the circle that some were able to see while there.
            The Zibiodey/ River Heart Metis were the Sponsors as were the American Indian Center of Indiana and Eagle Creek Park. Arthur is just a hard worker trying to make sure the families are having a wonderful time and making sure peoples needs are met plus it is good to re-educate the public to understand our ways and feelings.
            Thank you for the love, honor and respect.
            Arthur

Just so ya know and that we're on the same page. I don't love, honor and respect what your doing with the "metis" thing and leading so many down the wrong path with that. But that's just my opinion and your entitled to yours.

And as far as the re-educating the public to understand your ways and feelings that bothers me.......... but we'll never see eye to eye on that. Not meant as an attack..... just stating my thoughts on the matter.

Like I said before......... I went to see what the event was all about and I tried to be fair post the truth as to how I found it because so many wondered how it would be. Nothing more ....... nothing less.
            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan

Just so ya know and that we're on the same page. I don't love, honor and respect what your doing with the "metis" thing and leading so many down the wrong path with that. But that's just my opinion and your entitled to yours.

And as far as the re-educating the public to understand your ways and feelings that bothers me.......... but we'll never see eye to eye on that. Not meant as an attack..... just stating my thoughts on the matter.

Like I said before......... I went to see what the event was all about and I tried to be fair post the truth as to how I found it because so many wondered how it would be. Nothing more ....... nothing less.
              Holy Shyt, Mato! First you lift him up, then you slap him down!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

My kinda woman!!!
                There are 2 types of people in the world...
                Really stupid people who think they are smart
                and
                Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad
                  Holy Shyt, Mato! First you lift him up, then you slap him down!

yeah yeah...... tease away.... but I never lifted him up..... just tried to be nice about the powwow. I mean so many have talked and talked about this I wanted to see for myself. Cause I'm not going to sit back and gripe about something I've never been to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
                    yeah yeah...... tease away.... but I never lifted him up..... just tried to be nice about the powwow. I mean so many have talked and talked about this I wanted to see for myself. Cause I'm not going to sit back and gripe about something I've never been to.
                    I was jusss messin with you.lol I could tell by the way you wrote your first post that you were being subjective.

JD

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I know ya was........... just cause ya love me so much.....

)

Comment

Nuff

I have to say, we need to be blessed that at these small Indiana Powwow's everyone there are really good people. I think it's a blessing to have them, period. I have been to the large Powwow's like the National 13 and the large South Dakota Powwow's and you dont' get the family atmosphere like you do here. It's like a true historical camp. Mato, my two young ones danced there and I am glad you didn't say anything about them. They were even ask to be a part of antother Powwow by Arthur. That is a great learning experience and Honor for them. This Powwow I believe is the 2nd. It takes time to build into a large event. We met some great new people at this one also. I am sure we'll all be great aquaintances for a long time. Like Pesalo, Logan and Standing Bear. Arthur, I am mailing you the pictures Monday! They all turned out real good. By the way, this is Lorie Parker, Dalton and Josie's Mom. They are real excited for the fall.

Lorie

Comment

I love kids and wouldn't say anything about them. They have a pure spirit when they are out there. They just know what they are taught.

That jingle dancer I was talkin about was in her 20's.

By chance was your son the little fancy dancer that danced Sat eve?
                          Last edited by Mato Winyan; 06-24-2006, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Lorie Parker, Dalton and Josie,\
                            We look forward to serving the young people, My family and others spent time teaching me and my friends, so the circle must continue forward.
                            Thank you Lorie and please let the children know we appreciated their dancing and will continue to appreciate it. See you all soon.

Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaDancers
                              I have to say, we need to be blessed that at these small Indiana Powwow's everyone there are really good people. I think it's a blessing to have them, period. I have been to the large Powwow's like the National 13 and the large South Dakota Powwow's and you dont' get the family atmosphere like you do here. It's like a true historical camp. Mato, my two young ones danced there and I am glad you didn't say anything about them. They were even ask to be a part of antother Powwow by Arthur. That is a great learning experience and Honor for them. This Powwow I believe is the 2nd. It takes time to build into a large event. We met some great new people at this one also. I am sure we'll all be great aquaintances for a long time. Like Pesalo, Logan and Standing Bear. Arthur, I am mailing you the pictures Monday! They all turned out real good. By the way, this is Lorie Parker, Dalton and Josie's Mom. They are real excited for the fall.

Lorie
                              Hi Lorie. I saw that you are part Lumbee. I lived close to Lumbeeland(lol) for over twenty-five years and had the pleasure of meeting many of them. Sometimes, staying in their homes overnight. Who is your family over that way. I may know them. PM me if you don't feel comfortable putting it out in public.

Jim

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.