X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCIC's 38th Annual PW aka Orange County Pow Wow

Here is the info:

Southern California Indian Center’s 38th Annual Pow Wow
    Co-Sponsored by the Autry National Center.

July 28, 29 & 30, 2006
    4700 Western Heritage Way
    Los Angeles, CA 90027
    **It is located off the 5 Fwy next to the Los Angeles Zoo

Head Staff
    MC: Hammond Motah, Comanche
    AD: Brian General, Seneca
    Host Southern Drum: Southern Express, No. California
    Host Northern Drum: Young Spirit, Alberta, Canada
    Head Man: Eddie Roubedeaux, Otoe
    Head Woman: Leya Hale, Navajo/Sioux
    Head Gourd Dancer: Tom Phillips, Kiowa
    Water Boy: TBA
    Cultural Chairs: Starr Robideau, Cheyenne/Chippewa, Adam Loya, Tongva & Chuck Narcho, Tohono O’odham
    Honorary Chairs: Mrs. Jackie Autry & Ken Robbins
    Business Chairs: Paula Starr, Cheyenne & Tracy Stanhoff, Potawatomi/Choctaw

Contest Information:
    Over $26,ooo In Prize Money
    Point System In Effect
    4 Places In All Dance and Drum Categories (except Tiny Tots)
    $100 To the first five drums to register on Friday
    Northern and Southern Drum Contest Is Combined

*Team Dance Special Contest (All Ages)
    $500 Winner Take All Sponsored by Adam Loya
    *Teen Girls Fancy Shawl Special Contest (13-18)
    $200 Plus Shawl and Skirt Sponsored by Starr Robideau
    * Richard Bunnell Memorial Straight Dance (18 & Up)
    $500 Winner Take All Sponsored by the Bunnell Family
    Other Special Contests TBA

Free Parking!!!

Pow Wow Schedule: Schedule subject to change
    Friday, July 28, 2006 Saturday, July 29, 2006 Sunday, July 30, 2006
    Gate Opens : 2pm Gate Opens : 9am Gate Opens: 9am
    Gourd Dance: 5pm Gourd Dance: !0am & 6pm Gourd Dance: 10am
    Grand Entry: 7pm Grand Entry:12pm & 7pm Grand Entry: 12pm

The Largest Pow Wow and Arts & Crafts Show in California
    General admission: $5.00; Ages 13 to 17: $3.00; Seniors (55+):$3.00; Ages 6 to 12: $1.00; Ages 5 and under FREE
    Discount Coupon for The Autry Museum with paid admission to the Pow Wow

For more information: (714) 962-6673 www.indiancenter.org or email:[email protected]
    For Arts and Crafts Booth Registration email: [email protected]

Here is a break down of the prize money:

Juniors(6-12): Girls (combined) & Boys (combined)
    1st: $100 2nd: $75 3rd: $50 4th: $25

Teens(13-17): Girls– Fancy shawl, Jingle, & No./So. Traditional (combined) Boys– Fancy, Grass & No. Traditional/So. Straight (combined)
    1st: $300 2nd: $200 3rd: $100 4th: $50

Adults(18-54): Woman's– Fancy Shawl, Jingle, No./So. Cloth (combined), & No./So. Buckskin (combined) Men's– Fancy, Grass, No. Traditional & So. Straight.
    1st: $700 2nd: $ 500 3rd: $300 4th: $100

Golden Age(55 & up): Woman's (combined) & Men's (combined)
    1st: $700 2nd: $ 500 3rd: $300 4th: $100

Drum Contest: Northern/Southern Combined
    1st: $2000 2nd: $150 3rd: $100 4th: $500

Comment

~SCIC's 38th Annual PW aka Orange County Pow Wow~

This should be an awesome gathering...
      **"Father eagle will always guide and protect."**

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly
        This should be an awesome gathering...

Thanks Grizzly. We are really looking forward to it. It has been hard to pick up the pieces after moving from the Orange County Fair grounds since we were there for 20 plus years. But The Autry National Center has really made us feel like family and have open their arms to help us out. See you there.

Comment

Originally posted by One_Chey_Ojib
          Thanks Grizzly. We are really looking forward to it. It has been hard to pick up the pieces after moving from the Orange County Fair grounds since we were there for 20 plus years. But The Autry National Center has really made us feel like family and have open their arms to help us out. See you there.

Hey gurl, let's see if you can figure out who this is!! LOL. Ohhh we're leaving wed night be there Thurs, hittin D-Land and all that. We'll be there for Fri night, can't wait to see you all!!
          You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by One_Chey_Ojib

Looking forward to your gathering, hope to see you all there!

Comment

So sad the host hotel won't be next door like last year. Single tear drop runnin down my face. Will have to see the parkin lot lay out when I get there. I hope there won't be any cry babies or people that can't read a freakin map complainin hmmm. lol J/K please save all the hateful replies to me till after, ...please
              Last edited by VIP4life; 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM.

Comment

contest info.

Just some info here for all the dancers and singers.

Contest registration will be open on Friday July 28 at 4pm and close for the day at 7pm. Then will open back up on Saturday at 10am and close at 12 pm.

To the first five (5) drums that register $100 will be paid to them. Northern and Southern drums are combined, but we added a 4th place to the contest.

Adult dancers: you WILL contest on Friday and then a second time on Saturday night.

Dancers and singers upon registering will get a parking pass and a wristband.

We start ON TIME!!!!

If you have any questions regarding this pow wow my email is [email protected] and phone number is 213-387-5772

Comment

One_Chey_Ojib... It turns our that we won't be making it to your gathering this year... We got asked to attend another gathering here in AZ... We'll best of luck with your pow wow and hope everything goes well!

Comment

Winners posted anywhere? How was the gathering?

Comment

~2006 Scic Powwow Results~

Jr. Girls Traditional
                      4-Emily Etcitty 3-Larissa Bohay 2-J.D. Randall 1-Alendra Logan

Jr. Boys Traditional
                      4-Askii Key Kadena 3-Tamana Moquish 2-Dillon Shrock 1-K. Kapena

Teen Girls Traditional
                      4-Unique Bob 3-Briana Smith 2-Jashun Tsosie 1-Celeste McGurk

Teen Girls Fancy Shawl
                      4-Kathy Jimenez 3-Sonia Sierra 2-Lyndsey Etcitty 1-Toni Bee

Teen Boys Traditional
                      2-Eric Bohay 1-Tyler Bella

Teen Boys Grass
                      4-Jackson Tahuka 3-Charles Windy Boy 2-Cory Etcitty 1-Mason James McGurk

Teen Boys Fancy
                      4-Raymond Sanchez 3-Nathan Logan 2-Fabian Phoenix 1-Butch Black Hawk

Women’s Cloth No/So Traditional
                      4-Angela Campos 3-Ilene Robideaux 2-Virgie Tsosie 1-Leah McGurk Brown

Women’s No/So Buckskin
                      4-Sammye Dominguez 3-Tamara Toya 2-Jacinta Tsosie 1-Sandra Hale

Women’s Jingle
                      4-Leah Nightwalker 3-Bessie Medicine Bird 2-Lolly (Red Eagle) Roach 1-Henrietta Scalplock

Women’s Fancy Shawl
                      4-Sammy ScabbyRobe 3-Candace Gadwah 2-Susan Jackson 1-Verna Street

Women’s Golden Age
                      4-Nancy Robideaux 3-Toni Allrunner Hawk 2-Annie Begay 1-Caroline Reyes

Men’s No. Traditional
                      4-Leland Red Eagle 3-James Red Eagle 2-Lonnie Street 1-Ardell Scalplock

Men’s So. Traditional
                      4-Silas Perkins 3-Shude Victors 2-Steve Campos 1-Chris Denetdale

Men’s Grass
                      4-Giles BullShield 3-Dennis Navaquaya 3-Andrew WindyBoy Jr. 1-Denny Stanley Jr.

Men’s Fancy
                      4-Jute McCloud 3-Matthew Porter 2-Julian Phoenix 1-Dennison Brown

Men’s Golden Age
                      4-Henry Allen 3-Barry Hamilton 2-Mark Roanhorse 1-Andrew WindBoy Sr.

Drum Contest
                      4-Oklahoma Outlawz 3-Green River 2-Dark Horse 1-Bear Springs

CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners!! Thank you Vonnie for the info.

Comment

Congrats! to all the winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly
                          Jr. Girls Traditional
                          4-Emily Etcitty 3-Larissa Bohay 2-J.D. Randall 1-Alendra Logan

Jr. Boys Traditional
                          4-Askii Key Kadena 3-Tamana Moquish 2-Dillon Shrock 1-K. Kapena

Teen Girls Traditional
                          4-Unique Bob 3-Briana Smith 2-Jashun Tsosie 1-Celeste McGurk

Teen Girls Fancy Shawl
                          4-Kathy Jimenez 3-Sonia Sierra 2-Lyndsey Etcitty 1-Toni Bee

Teen Boys Traditional
                          2-Eric Bohay 1-Tyler Bella

Teen Boys Grass
                          4-Jackson Tahuka 3-Charles Windy Boy 2-Cory Etcitty 1-Mason James McGurk

Teen Boys Fancy
                          4-Raymond Sanchez 3-Nathan Logan 2-Fabian Phoenix 1-Butch Black Hawk

Women’s Cloth No/So Traditional
                          4-Angela Campos 3-Ilene Robideaux 2-Virgie Tsosie 1-Leah McGurk Brown

Women’s No/So Buckskin
                          4-Sammye Dominguez 3-Tamara Toya 2-Jacinta Tsosie 1-Sandra Hale

Women’s Jingle
                          4-Leah Nightwalker 3-Bessie Medicine Bird 2-Lolly (Red Eagle) Roach 1-Henrietta Scalplock

Women’s Fancy Shawl
                          4-Sammy ScabbyRobe 3-Candace Gadwah 2-Susan Jackson 1-Verna Street

Women’s Golden Age
                          4-Nancy Robideaux 3-Toni Allrunner Hawk 2-Annie Begay 1-Caroline Reyes

Men’s No. Traditional
                          4-Leland Red Eagle 3-James Red Eagle 2-Lonnie Street 1-Ardell Scalplock

Men’s So. Traditional
                          4-Silas Perkins 3-Shude Victors 2-Steve Campos 1-Chris Denetdale

Men’s Grass
                          4-Giles BullShield 3-Dennis Navaquaya 3-Andrew WindyBoy Jr. 1-Denny Stanley Jr.

Men’s Fancy
                          4-Jute McCloud 3-Matthew Porter 2-Julian Phoenix 1-Dennison Brown

Men’s Golden Age
                          4-Henry Allen 3-Barry Hamilton 2-Mark Roanhorse 1-Andrew WindBoy Sr.

Drum Contest
                          4-Oklahoma Outlawz 3-Green River 2-Dark Horse 1-Bear Springs

CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners!! Thank you Vonnie for the info.

Hey Grizzly!! On the JR BOYS ALL CATEGORIES COMBINED

The 1st place winner should be: Kai Campana
                          That's mah lil one!!

whoooooooooo hooooooooo great job KAI! I am sooo proud of you for dancin your heart out and sweatin til ya dropped. You made me prouder than proud.....

Powwow was fun, HOT HOT HOT, think I dropped 10 lbs from all the sweat. LOL. We just got back last night, ended up passing out in Kingman on the way home, *S*. Powwow committee did a great job, thanks for the hospitality!! The '9 was interesting.........ayeeee. I wish we had more time for sightseeing but hey, powwowin is good enough for me!!

Everyone danced hard even in that heat. Food was good and even some of those jokes were good. The switch dance busted my gut.........OH CANADA!!!!.......... those of you who were there, probably know what I mean. Especially the jelly roll move, oh my god, that was too much. We had a blast so its all good
                          You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
                          [email protected]

Comment

The MC needs to attend anger mgmt. class or something cuz all he said was beating down someone for this and that. All in all, he did a wonderful job 1st time out. Just joshing on the anger mgmt class. That tiebreaker in jr boys combine was awesome. Keep on doing what you're doing. As far as the heat, luckly pw wasn't earlier in the week. BTW, Silas took the annual Men's S. Trad. special.

Comment

~SCIC's 38th Annual Pow Wow Results~

Originally posted by Nezbah
                              Hey Grizzly!! On the JR BOYS ALL CATEGORIES COMBINED

The 1st place winner should be: Kai Campana
                              That's mah lil one!!

whoooooooooo hooooooooo great job KAI! I am sooo proud of you for dancin your heart out and sweatin til ya dropped. You made me prouder than proud.....

Sorry Nezbah, I posted the results as I got it. Awesome, so that was your lil one that placed first eh? Tell him to keep it up!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X