Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• littleredblanket
    replied
    lets just say the boys didn't appreciate that he could now hit the REALLYYYYYYY HIGH notes when he sang....lol

Leave a comment:

• TKMJ Productions
    replied
    Originally posted by littleredblanket
    What was really funny was when me and sis was "turning ourselves around" and my breastplate got to swinging pretty goot and I accidently nailed Bruce in the nether region where it would hurt the most. I swear I didn't mean to but I couldn't stop the breastplate before it hit him.
    So ya helped him with his singing? A few extra voice lessons can help any singer. Northern, Southern, It doesn't matter.

I bet he walked funny for a while too!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• littleredblanket
    replied
    What was really funny was when me and sis was "turning ourselves around" and my breastplate got to swinging pretty goot and I accidently nailed Bruce in the nether region where it would hurt the most. I swear I didn't mean to but I couldn't stop the breastplate before it hit him.

Leave a comment:

• TKMJ Productions
    replied
    Originally posted by littleredblanket
    if you noticed the bandana...ya probably saw me and my sis doing the hokey pokey in the arena during one of the giveaways too....had to do something to keep ourselves occupied while we waited in the gift line.
    Hey Sis,

I saw you two in the gift line. You were both having way too much fun. 20 people cut in front of you guys because they thought you were part of the show. Next time sell tickets. You could have made a fortune!

Leave a comment:

• littleredblanket
    replied
    if you noticed the bandana...ya probably saw me and my sis doing the hokey pokey in the arena during one of the giveaways too....had to do something to keep ourselves occupied while we waited in the gift line.

Leave a comment:

• RedShield
    replied
    Originally posted by yellowbearwmn
    And I believe I remember seeing your wife, did she have a scarf on her hat?
    LOL... yep that was her alright! And I was the only straight dancer there I saw all weekend. Sorry to hear about Loudenville, normally the drums up there aren't too bad.

Hope to see you down the trail again though...

Paselo!

Leave a comment:

• yellowbearwmn
    replied
    Originally posted by RedShield
    We were set up between Fearless Hawk and White Hawk... I was changing seats between our drum and White Hawk all weekend... we had a crowd around this weekend, and sang a few Rose Hill tunes this past weekend... maybe that will help, I was also straight dancing in the yellow, red and blue on Saturday night, my wife was the northern traditional in the redish purple top (if you look at the picture next to littleredblanket's post above that's her... she danced all day sunday with her black Bailey on... lol), and my sister was dancing northern traditional in the red.

The drum set up was from left to right from the MC... Silver Cloud, Fearless Hawk, Red Shield and White Hawk up front, with Maza Napin (Iron Necklace) behind White Hawk, and Wolf Creek behind Silver Cloud... there was another drum there on saturday... Rapid River or something like that, that was set up behind Fearless Hawk.
    Ok, I remember who you are. I remember seeing a straight dancer. And I believe I remember seeing your wife, did she have a scarf on her hat?

My family really enjoyed the drums. (like I stated in a prior post)

We just got home from a powwow in Loudonville.
    It really wasn't what we thought it would be.

So we are taking off tomorrow to go to Niagra.

Hope to catch your drum again.

Mary

Leave a comment:

• TKMJ Productions
    replied
    Hello and thank you for the good words.
    Our family will talk about bringing our drum up for a 49.

Northern and Southern 49s are similar but not all the same.
    Same principle.
    We do only sober 49's.

You mention the Flathead in Montana. You go to Elmo, Arlee, Kyi Yo and Browning?
    CrowFair is great also. It's great to watch the spectators ooohing and ahhhing over the sea of tipis.

I was raised in Idaho Falls by my adoptive parents.
    Even though they were non blood, they gave me every opportunity to stay indian.

By the way, one of my brothers says to tell you that you could give the sound guys at Red Earth a run for the money.

If ya ever get tired of running here, come on down to OK.

Thank you again for the good words.
    And thank you again to all from this powwow who made this Okie family feel good.
    Arlee is my home powwow. Elmo, Browning, Kyi Yo, and Crow Fair were all "must go powwows" when we lived in Montana. My wife and I have talked many times about moving to OK. We were looking at moving to Norman cause we like the big storms. But it never happened. Were stuck in Ohio for now. We also talked about moving back to the northwest. Maybe someday.

By the way, a dry 49 is the best kind of 49

Leave a comment:

• RedShield
    replied

You said you are from Redshield drum? I'm trying to remember which drum that was. I remember hearing your drum, just not exactly where you were under the arbor.
    We were set up between Fearless Hawk and White Hawk... I was changing seats between our drum and White Hawk all weekend... we had a crowd around this weekend, and sang a few Rose Hill tunes this past weekend... maybe that will help, I was also straight dancing in the yellow, red and blue on Saturday night, my wife was the northern traditional in the redish purple top (if you look at the picture next to littleredblanket's post above that's her... she danced all day sunday with her black Bailey on... lol), and my sister was dancing northern traditional in the red.

The drum set up was from left to right from the MC... Silver Cloud, Fearless Hawk, Red Shield and White Hawk up front, with Maza Napin (Iron Necklace) behind White Hawk, and Wolf Creek behind Silver Cloud... there was another drum there on saturday... Rapid River or something like that, that was set up behind Fearless Hawk.
    Last edited by RedShield; 09-13-2006, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yellowbearwmn
    replied
    Originally posted by TKMJ Productions
    Mary YellowBear,

Thanks for the good words. Now let's get to the nitty gritty of the matter:

You mentioned bringing your family drum up from OK and doing a 49??????????? I'll make you a deal right here and now!

You bring the drum and I'll supply the sound. I don't mind staying up all night doing a 49
    We put 7500 watts of power through the six speakers around the circle at Austinburg. If you do the 49, I'll make sure we have more speakers and more power for next year. Let's say 10 speakers and 15000 watts of power around the circle. Ohio won't know what hit them. LOL!!!!!

It will be just like back home on the Flathead in Montana to me. Dance till ya drop and the drum plays on!!!!!!

Girl, Your making me homesick for Montana. I miss my mountians echoing the sounds of my old 49 days.
    Hello and thank you for the good words.
    Our family will talk about bringing our drum up for a 49.

Northern and Southern 49s are similar but not all the same.
    Same principle.
    We do only sober 49's.

You mention the Flathead in Montana. You go to Elmo, Arlee, Kyi Yo and Browning?
    CrowFair is great also. It's great to watch the spectators ooohing and ahhhing over the sea of tipis.

I was raised in Idaho Falls by my adoptive parents.
    Even though they were non blood, they gave me every opportunity to stay indian.

By the way, one of my brothers says to tell you that you could give the sound guys at Red Earth a run for the money.

If ya ever get tired of running here, come on down to OK.

Thank you again for the good words.
    And thank you again to all from this powwow who made this Okie family feel good.

Leave a comment:

• yellowbearwmn
    replied
    Originally posted by RedShield
    To Mary...

Thanks for the kind words to the drums... there are some good ones here (one of which... Thunder Nation was putting on the pow wow), and as lead singer of one of the drums there, I'm glad you enjoyed the songs and appreciate the kind words.

As for White Hawk... I am honored to call Pat and Sterling Big Bear friends of mine, and look up to them both a great deal. Sterling comes from a long line of singers and keeps a lot of those Ponca songs alive, and I am honored to sing them with him whenever and wherever I can... but being Shawnee and not a Ponca... with no Poncas on my drum, we don't sing the songs they sing unless given specific permission to do so. I have been honored to recieve a few songs from Sterling, and do my best to pay for those rights and gifts. When it comes to Sterling, Edwin and Jesse, Pat, Lakota and Danny... words can't express how much respect I have for all of them, and honored they have asked my to sit in with them on numerous occasions.

As for 49ing... heck yeah! Thunder Nation actually set their drum up and we kept singing til almost 11. We always like seeing new faces and singers around here, if you bring your drum up next year, you'll be welcomed openly.

If your son is going to be up at KSU for a while... I also highly recommend the following pow wows as well... Columbus Memorial Day and Labor Day pow wows (put on by the North American Indican Center of Central Ohio) the Ohio State Pow Wow (put on by the OSU Native American Student Association) and the Xenia pow wow (put on by the Miami Valley Council.) Other great pow wows in the area that are a little farther away are the Ann Arbor pow wow (UM NASA) in Michigan, and the Penn State pow wow is a good one too...

Glad you enjoyed the gathering... next time you're up stop by the Red Shield drum and ask for Shawn... would be nice to meet you...

Niyawe...

Paselo!
    Thank you for the welcome and the invite.

Many people don't realize the influence of the Ponca songs.
    The Ponca are song keepers for many people.

I was tickled to have a taste of home.

My nephew is slotted for 4 years at Kent State.
    He wants to be an attorney.
    His mother wanted him to go to Haskell but he wanted to go out and see the world.
    To be honest with you, I can't understand why he chose Ohio.
    The tuition is so extreme.
    So far the only friendly people the family has run into was at the powwow.
    I will give him the list of powwows that you gave me.
    He headed out for class first thing, and he said something about hitting a coffeestop. He cracks me up, acts like an old man if he doesn't get his fancy coffee.

You said you are from Redshield drum? I'm trying to remember which drum that was. I remember hearing your drum, just not exactly where you were under the arbor.

It is odd seeing drums on the outside of the dance arbor. We usually bring our drums to the center. However we do realize not everyone does things the same way.

As I mentioned in my first post I was totally impressed with this powwow. I had heard some interesting stories from others who had come out here, attended powwows, then vowed never again.
    Also there have been some horror stories about some of the drums out here.
    One of my brothers called one of our uncles back home and let him hear the drums.

Needless to say he was happy to hear all but one of the drums.
    we couldn't understand what the one drum was singing. I don't believe it was the sound people, since the other drums were understandable.

As for a 49, our family would like to talk about it. We do have one of our drums up here with us, however did not bring it with us.
    We ask before bringing our drum out. Just the way we are.

Thank you again for the warm welcome and invite.
    We'll look you up sometime.

Leave a comment:

• RedShield
    replied
    To Mary...

Thanks for the kind words to the drums... there are some good ones here (one of which... Thunder Nation was putting on the pow wow), and as lead singer of one of the drums there, I'm glad you enjoyed the songs and appreciate the kind words.

As for White Hawk... I am honored to call Pat and Sterling Big Bear friends of mine, and look up to them both a great deal. Sterling comes from a long line of singers and keeps a lot of those Ponca songs alive, and I am honored to sing them with him whenever and wherever I can... but being Shawnee and not a Ponca... with no Poncas on my drum, we don't sing the songs they sing unless given specific permission to do so. I have been honored to recieve a few songs from Sterling, and do my best to pay for those rights and gifts. When it comes to Sterling, Edwin and Jesse, Pat, Lakota and Danny... words can't express how much respect I have for all of them, and honored they have asked my to sit in with them on numerous occasions.

As for 49ing... heck yeah! Thunder Nation actually set their drum up and we kept singing til almost 11. We always like seeing new faces and singers around here, if you bring your drum up next year, you'll be welcomed openly.

If your son is going to be up at KSU for a while... I also highly recommend the following pow wows as well... Columbus Memorial Day and Labor Day pow wows (put on by the North American Indican Center of Central Ohio) the Ohio State Pow Wow (put on by the OSU Native American Student Association) and the Xenia pow wow (put on by the Miami Valley Council.) Other great pow wows in the area that are a little farther away are the Ann Arbor pow wow (UM NASA) in Michigan, and the Penn State pow wow is a good one too...

Glad you enjoyed the gathering... next time you're up stop by the Red Shield drum and ask for Shawn... would be nice to meet you...

Niyawe...

Paselo!

Leave a comment:

• TKMJ Productions
    replied
    Hello,
    I am Mary YellowBear of Oklahoma.
    This powwow that you are all talking about was the first that I have attended here in Ohio.
    (some of my family and I drove my nephews furniture up to Ohio from Oklahoma)
    My Nephew heard about the powwow from some people on Kent State Campus so we made it a family weekend.

I have to say it was a wonderful event.
    Just like home.
    The people who ran this powwow did an excellent job!
    People were friendly and courteous.
    The MC. was great! He sounded like he should be on the radio, or an anchor at a television station.

The Drums were better than we had been led to believe were out here.
    However there was one drum Wolf Stone I think it was.
    I don't understand what they were singing, and was surprised at their continuance. Their drum protocol was non existent.

The one drum was my only complaint about this powwow.
    I did ask about this drum and was told that they were not an invited drum, but chose to show up. I don't put this fault on the powwow committee. We would never allow a drum like that in the arbor back home or in any other powwows.

We enjoyed the ride through the buffalo herd.
    That was quite an enjoyable trip. It was funny to hear the non bloods oohing and ahhhing over the buffs.

My hat is off to whom ever prepared the feed!
    Everything was great!
    The greens were greatly appreciated as were the carrots.
    Everyone was thought about concerning diets and health.
    Thank you very much.

The Aztec dancers were a very nice touch.
    And your sound system was very professional.

It is always fantastic to hear songs that have words.
    And to hear songs from back home made me very happy.
    I believe that the drum was White Hawk?
    Ponca songs have a long and strong history.
    There are fewer and fewer people singing the old songs.
    Thank you to that Drum in particular for making this old girl feel at home.

The wedding proposal was so sweet.
    I wish the couple many happy years together and that their families enjoy many grandchildren.

I will close for now.
    With hopes of possibly returning next year to this powwow (I'm sure we will be able to make this happen, since our nephew is here for the next 4 years). And Possibly bringing up our family drum from Oklahoma. (maybe get a 49 going)

Oh by the way, next year we bring a tent or camper.
    I don't recommend the Holiday Inn there.

Thank you again for the great time.
    I am totally impressed and look forward to future powwows.

Mary YellowBear
    Mary YellowBear,

Thanks for the good words. Now let's get to the nitty gritty of the matter:

You mentioned bringing your family drum up from OK and doing a 49??????????? I'll make you a deal right here and now!

You bring the drum and I'll supply the sound. I don't mind staying up all night doing a 49
    We put 7500 watts of power through the six speakers around the circle at Austinburg. If you do the 49, I'll make sure we have more speakers and more power for next year. Let's say 10 speakers and 15000 watts of power around the circle. Ohio won't know what hit them. LOL!!!!!

It will be just like back home on the Flathead in Montana to me. Dance till ya drop and the drum plays on!!!!!!

Girl, Your making me homesick for Montana. I miss my mountians echoing the sounds of my old 49 days.

Leave a comment:

• yellowbearwmn
    replied
    Just like home

Hello,
    I am Mary YellowBear of Oklahoma.
    This powwow that you are all talking about was the first that I have attended here in Ohio.
    (some of my family and I drove my nephews furniture up to Ohio from Oklahoma)
    My Nephew heard about the powwow from some people on Kent State Campus so we made it a family weekend.

I have to say it was a wonderful event.
    Just like home.
    The people who ran this powwow did an excellent job!
    People were friendly and courteous.
    The MC. was great! He sounded like he should be on the radio, or an anchor at a television station.

The Drums were better than we had been led to believe were out here.
    However there was one drum Wolf Stone I think it was.
    I don't understand what they were singing, and was surprised at their continuance. Their drum protocol was non existent.

The one drum was my only complaint about this powwow.
    I did ask about this drum and was told that they were not an invited drum, but chose to show up. I don't put this fault on the powwow committee. We would never allow a drum like that in the arbor back home or in any other powwows.

We enjoyed the ride through the buffalo herd.
    That was quite an enjoyable trip. It was funny to hear the non bloods oohing and ahhhing over the buffs.

My hat is off to whom ever prepared the feed!
    Everything was great!
    The greens were greatly appreciated as were the carrots.
    Everyone was thought about concerning diets and health.
    Thank you very much.

The Aztec dancers were a very nice touch.
    And your sound system was very professional.

It is always fantastic to hear songs that have words.
    And to hear songs from back home made me very happy.
    I believe that the drum was White Hawk?
    Ponca songs have a long and strong history.
    There are fewer and fewer people singing the old songs.
    Thank you to that Drum in particular for making this old girl feel at home.

The wedding proposal was so sweet.
    I wish the couple many happy years together and that their families enjoy many grandchildren.

I will close for now.
    With hopes of possibly returning next year to this powwow (I'm sure we will be able to make this happen, since our nephew is here for the next 4 years). And Possibly bringing up our family drum from Oklahoma. (maybe get a 49 going)

Oh by the way, next year we bring a tent or camper.
    I don't recommend the Holiday Inn there.

Thank you again for the great time.
    I am totally impressed and look forward to future powwows.

Mary YellowBear

Leave a comment:

• TKMJ Productions
    replied
    Originally posted by MorningStar9
    The Spirit of the Bison Powwow Committee (aka Thunder Nation Singers) would like to thank each and everyone that helped make this year's powwow a huge success. We are honored and humbled by the support from so many Singers, Dancers, Volunteers and Traders in the NDN community. To look out into the arena throughout the weekend and see so many of you smiling and enjoying yourselves - is what this is all about.

A special thanks goes out to Dan Fant & Erin Chittum, our Head Dancers for the weekend - you represented yourselves & your families in a very good way & we are honored to consider you both friends.

Bill Crouse – the most amazing Emcee – you did a wonderful job of keeping the powwow going, and getting people excited about what was happening in the arena.

To Ross Davidson, our Arena Director, we couldn't have asked for a more knowledgeable, respectful person to do the job – Thank you!

Hoka, our Head Veteran. The humble way in which you conduct yourself, is honorable to NDN people and Veterans everywhere.

A big thank you goes out to SilverCloud Singers. We have enjoyed listening to your CDs for a long time, and it was really exciting to have you join us as Host Drum this year.

To Fearless Hawk & Red Shield Singers, it was wonderful to have you join us for the first time this year. We consider you all family & look forward to sharing your songs, and many more laughs along the powwow trail.

Whitehawk & Maza Napin – thank you for sharing your songs with us once again. We have a lot of respect for your families, and wish to congratulate you on the events that took place on Sunday afternoon.

TKMJ Productions – what can we say? Without you, the knowledge you bring, the high-quality sound equipment, your friendship, & hard work – this powwow just wouldn’t have been the same.

To Sarah & Blaine Tallchief, we would also like to thank you for sharing the Iroquois Smoke Dance Songs & dance style with us.

To the other singers, dancers, volunteers – thank you again for your support. Words can’t describe how much we appreciate you.
    So many good words are spoken here. However without you, the powwow comittee, all of this would not have come to pass and touch the hearts of so many. For that, I thank you!

On Saturday morning, the Creator gave us all a sign that the powwow was going to be a huge success. As the rain stopped falling before the gates to the public opened, a comittee member noticed a rainbow in the sky. I looked at the rainbow and noticed that it was complete end to end. I also noticed that the rainbow ends were north and south. It appeared to me at that time that the rainbow made a perfect arching entry gate to the circle.

How can a powwow fail with an entry gate given by the Creator! The Creator's blessings were upon us from the start.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.