2nd Annual Rio Grande Powwow, Las Cruces, NM Nov 17-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Annual Rio Grande Powwow, Las Cruces, NM Nov 17-18

There is going to be a contest powwow at New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM -Football Practice Field (Outdoors)

2nd Annual Rio Grande Powwow

November 17th - 18th

Host N drum: Callin Eagle, Window Rock, AZ
    Host S drum: Southern Hill, Mescalero
    Host guest drum: Atsa Butte, Whiterock, NM

MC: Clayton Small
    AD: Eddie Littlesky
    Head Judge: Terry Pecos, Jemez

Head Man: Dariel Yazzie
    Head Woman: Tara Abeita, Isleta Pueblo, NM
    Head Girl: Adriana Wanhata
    Head Boy: Kai Campana, Navajo, Albuquerque, NM

November 17th-Friday
    Flute song
    Welcome Introductions -12 pm
    NA Group Dancers, White Mountain Crown Dancers & More
    Gourd: Mescalero Gourd Society - 3-=5pm
    Grand Entry 7pm - Contest/Intertribal Dancing

November 18th-Saturday
    9a-Welcome Introductions
    Native American Group Dancers
    Gourd: 11-1pm
    Grand Entry:2pm & 7pm -Contest/Intertribal Dancing

'Tiny Tot Contest', sponsored by Kai Campana and Family - boy / girl winner

Host Hotel: Best Western Mesilla Valley Inn

For vendor or powwow information call Suky Ramos (915)-422-1700

email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Nezbah; 11-14-2006, 06:10 PM.
    You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
    [email protected]

Wow!

wow! Kai will be Head Boy??..cool!!...
    we will be there..
    safe travels
    Happy Trails!....

Comment

Originally posted by Tradish_Mom
      wow! Kai will be Head Boy??..cool!!...
      we will be there..
      safe travels

YEAH!!!!!!! He is, even his gramma n grampa is comin down from Montana for Fri nites session, this will be the 1st time they've seen him dance....:D We're doing a tiny tot contest so ...... bring ya tinies......to contest :D

you too....drive safely!! We'll have to rendezvous in the rooms....lol aka 49! ahhhhhh jokes....we'll see ya down there.

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
      [email protected]com

Comment

Friday Nite

I thought Friday nite's session was a social powwow.??? we can not make it to friday nite session.. the kids are in school .. actually we will be late getting into Las Cruces.
        i have a seminar to attend to on campus up to 11am.. then it's powwow time.. yea..
        Callin' Eagle hosting
        Happy Trails!....

Comment

Wanda!! Helloooo!!! How are you doing! Wow! THe kids are hosting a pw this weekend! RIght on!!! :) Just wanted to say hi to you.. hope you and your kids are doing well!! When will you be down this way again?? :)

Comment

Hiii!!!

Originally posted by BurBz
            Wanda!! Helloooo!!! How are you doing! Wow! THe kids are hosting a pw this weekend! RIght on!!! :) Just wanted to say hi to you.. hope you and your kids are doing well!! When will you be down this way again?? :)
            Doing fine... finally recovered from a major trip to Austin, TX this past weekend. Callin' Eagle was Invited Northern Drum and they scheduled us for a couple of school presentations..
            the hospitality the Austin Powwow committee provided for us was excellent.. we were spoiled...
            we left last wednesday and arrived home at 6:30am yesterday morning.. burnt out yesterday at work.
            umm... i will be heading down this weekend to visit.. my daughter and grandbaby... it is Callin' Eagle's free weekend..
            not too sure about Thanksgiving weekend.. no local powwows...
            Happy Trails!....

Comment

I thought Friday nite's session was a social powwow.??? we can not make it to friday nite session.. the kids are in school .. actually we will be late getting into Las Cruces.
              i have a seminar to attend to on campus up to 11am.. then it's powwow time.. yea..
              Callin' Eagle hosting

I guess the contest is on.......LOL. I dunno, this is the first year they are doing contest, Terry Pecos is helping them...or should I say taking over?? haha...kidding. I was on the phone with Suky getting all the info on Friday night, that's the only reason why I knew all this. I didn't even know any of the info since they hadn't sent it out yet. Yeah, they said that AB will be covering for you on Friday night, that's why they are the 'guest' drum. Sooooooooo...we'll see you there.

[email protected]

Comment

Gettin ready for this one!!! woooooo hoooooo

Hey the GE time for Saturday is actually 2pm..... phew.

Hope to see ya non Ft McD stragglers there!!

POWWOW TIME......... HOOCHAAAAAA!!!

[email protected]

Comment

Yeah, they said that AB will be covering for you on Friday night, that's why they are the 'guest' drum. Sooooooooo...we'll see you there.[/QUOTE]

we will be there on time... so, AB could enjoy Ft. McDowell... we are leaving friday morning..
                  see you in the evening...
                  the contest is on!
                  Happy Trails!....

Comment

Yeah, they said that AB will be covering for you on Friday night, that's why they are the 'guest' drum. Sooooooooo...we'll see you there.

we will be there on time... so, AB could enjoy Ft. McDowell... we are leaving friday morning..
                    the contest is on![/QUOTE]

Hey, did you know they want you all there by 1pm friday...that's the time they wanted us to be there...so, you might want to check on that... ya'll have a safe one...

Comment

Originally posted by ABdrum
                      the contest is on!
                      Hey, did you know they want you all there by 1pm friday...that's the time they wanted us to be there...so, you might want to check on that... ya'll have a safe one...[/QUOTE]

Nope, didn't know that... i told them we will be there by 5:00pm.. they said "fine". Grand Entry is at 7:00pm so we'll be fine....umm... i wonder why 1:00pm?
                      I have a interview appointment @10:30am... we will leave soon after.
                      Happy Trails!....

Comment

Hey, did you know they want you all there by 1pm friday...that's the time they wanted us to be there...so, you might want to check on that... ya'll have a safe one...

Nope, didn't know that... i told them we will be there by 5:00pm.. they said "fine". Grand Entry is at 7:00pm so we'll be fine....umm... i wonder why 1:00pm?
                        I have a interview appointment @10:30am... we will leave soon after.[/QUOTE]

they have other performances besides the powwow and they wanted us to be apart that...so, that was the memo that was given to us. so, they asked us to be there anywhere around 12pm and 1pm. We were told, that they wanted a mini powwow or something before all the students leave for break. I guess that was the reason they wanted a drum group there early.

Comment

Can anyone confirm or at least tell if the rumors are true.

That this powwow is now a SOCIAL powwow and NOT a contest powwow?

...Social's fine and all...........but, Contest would be nice.

Heard it from Terry Pecos........so, feel free to rag on him for the rumors.
                          "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bo Jangles
                            Can anyone confirm or at least tell if the rumors are true.

That this powwow is now a SOCIAL powwow and NOT a contest powwow?

...Social's fine and all...........but, Contest would be nice.

Heard it from Terry Pecos........so, feel free to rag on him for the rumors.
                            well, last i heard from Suky and John it was contest and points will start with friday nite session. they do have alot of sponsers enough for a contest powwow.
                            The way i understood at first, was that friday nite was a social session and contest dancing will start on saturday but Suky clarified it .. contest will start on friday nite.
                            not sure when Terry heard the latest?
                            Happy Trails!....

Comment

Okay. A bit more clarification on what I heard.

I'm now hearing that it's just contest in Juniors and Teens, with no contest in the Adult Divisions.

Anyone tell me otherwise?

I've tried the Committee via email and telephone........to no avail. Even call some former professors to see if they could find some info for me.

I used to know a Kiowa guy that was sort of the head of the Indian Students thing-a-ma-jig.....Lance Lujan I think was his name.

I think he's gone now...moved or something.

Anyway.

Any word on Adult Contest Divisions?
                              "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.