X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of plans for us.

Here is what I remember from last year.

Powwow info.
    Drum contest is split N & S they paid 5 places last year. Then one extra northern drum showed up. Made it 6. So the committee up'd the drum contest $1000 for each place (on both N & S, even there was only 3 S) and added an extra place.. THAT WAS AWESOME! 9 or 10 drums total.

Dance Contest is pretty normal. With adults being split into 18-39 and 40 - 59 ( i think) them golden age (with categories.)

Powwow times: Be award of Grand Entry times. Everything started about an hour earlier than normal. For example: Normal GE 7:00 pm But they started at 5 or 6 then ended at 7:00 or 7:30. This powwow is in conjunction with the Seminole Tribal Fair. And they have a lot of stuff going on and only that one big arena to have everything. So in the evenings they had concerts or princess pagents etc. I don't know if that will be different. Because of the time this powwow is all business, GE, Contest, Exhibition and get out. Then the last day (Sunday) was more relaxed and of course the switch dance. (Wayne S. was up to parr)

The Hard Rock has a mini mall with some awesome stores and eateries there. So there is a lot to do in the off time. The hotel will probably remain booked and the price was $500 plus last year too. We stayed at another hotel and drove over or taxied over.

Site Seeing: We took a cruise on an aligator reserve. That was totally cool. We also went to South Beach, that was cool too. Just be sure to take your walking shoes there. Parking was hard to find.

Weather: The nights were pretty cool. But last year either while we were there or right after we left, South Florida had the worst cold snap in years. The news people were warning homeless to cover exposed skin because it was gonna dip in to the 30's. We were laughing, because that was our daily high.

Well I hope that helps. You all have fun. I'm gonna try again next year.....

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
      MayC,

When you bit into it .... did it start spinnin'????

*L
      LOL unfortunately no LOL. Now that I think about it there's a vendor down here who sells gator and shark kabobs. They're not bad.
      Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

I'll be there Sunday, I'm bringing my boys along. WhoMe here's a schedual of some Jai-Alaia events http://fort.lauderdale.eventguide.co...ts/e100212.htm
        don't you be wastin' all your money
        on syrup and honey because i'm sweet enough

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Comment

Kiyaanii, Thanks for the great insight.
          I know it will come into good use. That's for sure.
          One thing I'm looking forward to is more time to sightsee. Especially if the powwow wraps up early enough.
          We arrive early enough on Thursday too, so we can have alot of the day to either sleep (haha) or be tourists. I say Touring around is the way we'll go.
          Miss Niss: Are we gonna rent 2 separate cars or 1 minivan for all of us to caravan around in? LOL

Comment

Cant wait to see you guys down there Linds....I'll be there thurs evening, ready to go!! Hopefully it'll be nice too....i'm excited!
            *BE EASY*

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Oji_Flava*~ View Post
              Kiyaanii, Thanks for the great insight.
              I know it will come into good use. That's for sure.
              One thing I'm looking forward to is more time to sightsee. Especially if the powwow wraps up early enough.
              We arrive early enough on Thursday too, so we can have alot of the day to either sleep (haha) or be tourists. I say Touring around is the way we'll go.
              Miss Niss: Are we gonna rent 2 separate cars or 1 minivan for all of us to caravan around in? LOL
              No prob. I wish we were still going....

I guess we will meet another time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                I'll be there Sunday, I'm bringing my boys along. WhoMe here's a schedual of some Jai-Alaia events http://fort.lauderdale.eventguide.co...ts/e100212.htm
                Ginger,

I have been to the Dania Jai Alai Arena! I will probably go on the Wednesday night when we get there. Thanks for the information! See you on Sunday!

Bux,

Good seeing you this weekend! Where are you playin'? I wanna come support you?

Linds,

We will finally get to meet! There are a bunch of us coming from here. I just got an email that some friends from Texas (great party crew) just booked their flights too!
                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Wow... a 1-4 pw?.. No room for ndn time?

Oji... 1 or 2 cars.. I dunno... I'll ask "mom" what she wants to do. Either way is fine wiff me... as long as we go sightseeing. I wanna see an aligator. LOL.. of course.. with a cage between IT and ME!!!

Man O Man.. I can't wait. Holay.. we'll have nuffin' but time to go be tourists... nothing on thursday, after 5pm off on friday and saturday... hmmmm.. Niiice!!

OE sisters... the canadian sisters will be there TOO!!
                  ~* Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to *~

Comment

Originally posted by Miss_Nish View Post
                    I wanna see an aligator. LOL.. of course.. with a cage between IT and ME!!!

OE sisters... the canadian sisters will be there TOO!!
                    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! it'll be good to see you two! :) i can't wait...

they have airboat rides/tours that you can take through the swamps and stuff... but i suggest you take one that's given by a native (of course!)... we took one from buffalo tiger (google him) and our "tourguide" was this dude named ernie redwing...

it was SOO much fun - were were the only ones on the ride, so of course it lasted a lil' longer and we could joke w/him about all the crazy stuff tourists do...

anyway - he took us to visit these alligators that lived in swamps and stopped the boat right by where the live.... and once he called 'em, they swam right up to the boat! man, these alligators were HUUUUUUUUUGE too! i coulda reached out & touched one, but i didn't dare. we learned all kindsa stuff about the waters and plants too - very interesting!

i could tell you all about it, but you should just see for yourself! it's def worth it and a lotta fun :)
                    "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

Is it safe enough to bring my SIS!!! LOL.. ya know how she's ALWAYS falling or tripping!!! I googled it... looks interesting!!!!!

Whatcha say Oji? The girls would prolly like that, too.

Comment

Buffalo Tiger’s Airboat Tours, 305-559-5250

It's up to you..

Comment

YES! Let's do it. The girls will for sure love it.
                          Should we call and book it? Dunno for when though.

2 weeks and we'll all see one another. I need to start getting my summer clothes outta my storage bins.

Comment

You guys will LOVE the airboat ride...it's so much fun! You should call just to make sure they're runnin' right now, i'm not sure if it's seasonal or if it matters down there.

2 weeks!!! WOW! Cant wait to catch up w/you guys & you too WHO ME!
                            *BE EASY*

Comment

We also got Bux's bball game to watch.

Comment

when does the powwow start and whens the first grand entry
                                bucwild2012

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.