COPY CATS!!! They Just keep biting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It don't stop with those

Here are some beadwork that haven't been worn out there yet but following the tipi them, especially center of crown.

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...o=7552&cat=503

http://www.sharpsindianstore.com/

So it looks like we need to give credit to Tooky for inspiring all these new outfits, but all do respect, I think people should come up with their own ideas. Just think of how many new beautiful unique outfits we are missing out on, because we choose to copy instead.
    undefined[SIZE=3]undefineR Tweety Rez

Comment

are you seriously suggesting that only ONE ndn out there is entitled to wear a tipi/tipi symbol on his or her outfit????????

that's like saying, "Hey, you can't have a santa ornament on your Christmas tree cuz that's copying!"

I've seen tipi designs that predate tookie's outfit.

there's tons of tipi-using tribes out there...I've got no prob with any of those members using such a design.

what does bug me a little is a non-tipi-using tribe (Navajo, Cherokee, generokee, LOL) using a tipi design...that's when those kinda designs just begin to become pan-indian and lose some meaning....

now, as a beadworker who does take custom orders for people, I've been asked to do some designs that TO ME didn't seem traditional or "tribally representative" for the orderer, but I don't feel that it's my place to correct a customer...sometimes I'm asked for design advice and I give it, sometimes I'm not asked and I stay out of it.
      sigpic

See my trading post ads
      See my photo gallery
      See walela49's myspace page

Comment

I'm not referring to beaders for hire

No I'm not serious about anything on this posting site really. It meant for discussion. I wouldn't lose sleep over anything on here.

As far as beaders for hire, I wouldn't expect that you should correct anyone. What you going to do? Have a form for them to fill out regarding their ancestory???

Anybody can have whatever they want out there as far as beading design even if it isn't a part of their tribal region or heritage....thats obviously how it is today.

SO whats the diff??? Why be serious? However I do have an opinion. So do you and so does the next Joe who posts...in the mean time its entertainment.
        undefined[SIZE=3]undefineR Tweety Rez

Comment

And this one time at Band Camp.....

"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

I think a lot of the dancers from non-tipi tribes have tipis for NAC...same with the waterbirds (which are often in conjuction with the tipis)...I think that's cool if that's the case.

Comment

"HEY THAT OTHER CROW GIRL HAS AN ELKTEETH DRESS JUST LIKE MIIIIINE!!!"...aaaaye! hahaha!
              *BE EASY*

Comment

Originally posted by tweety_rez
                http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...518&perpage=45

Here is one of the first I seen sporting Tipi on their beadwork and center of crown.

Now check out all these copy cats!!

and then

and
                http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...o=6659&cat=519

I could go on and on....and how do you know who is the copy cat? Well Like I said first Tookie came out with hers and all the rest appear in the next seasons.

The same person probably beaded all of those! ayyeee
                The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by buckskin pantyhose
                  "HEY THAT OTHER CROW GIRL HAS AN ELKTEETH DRESS JUST LIKE MIIIIINE!!!"...aaaaye! hahaha!
                  lmao girl u crazy!
                  SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by buckskin pantyhose

^^LOL, ahh man that had me laughing...you crazy, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by walela49
                      are you seriously suggesting that only ONE ndn out there is entitled to wear a tipi/tipi symbol on his or her outfit????????

that's like saying, "Hey, you can't have a santa ornament on your Christmas tree cuz that's copying!"

I've seen tipi designs that predate tookie's outfit.

there's tons of tipi-using tribes out there...I've got no prob with any of those members using such a design.

what does bug me a little is a non-tipi-using tribe (Navajo, Cherokee, generokee, LOL) using a tipi design...that's when those kinda designs just begin to become pan-indian and lose some meaning....

now, as a beadworker who does take custom orders for people, I've been asked to do some designs that TO ME didn't seem traditional or "tribally representative" for the orderer, but I don't feel that it's my place to correct a customer...sometimes I'm asked for design advice and I give it, sometimes I'm not asked and I stay out of it.

I totally agree here... many people use this design.. and i dont see aything wrong with it.. and Im sorry but to say that This Person was the first... I Dont think Sooo...maybe she was the first YOU have seen,, but definately NOT the first..

All i can say.. Is if these people wear thier regalia in Pride and respect... then More power to them!!!! why should we be Judging over such triviials.. Like comon...

BTW.. I found all theose Pics beautiful..
                      Beautiful work

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by tweety_rez
                        Here are some beadwork that haven't been worn out there yet but following the tipi them, especially center of crown.

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...o=7552&cat=503

So it looks like we need to give credit to Tooky for inspiring all these new outfits, but all do respect, I think people should come up with their own ideas. Just think of how many new beautiful unique outfits we are missing out on, because we choose to copy instead.

O.K. since everyone from now till the end of time can't wear anykind of Teepee, cuz someone else beaded it first. Maybe you should go ahead and let the rest of us know what else is not suppose to be used or should I say copied.

I think your logic is flawed. I have seen teepees in beadwork, long before this outfit was made.

Comment

yeah there are lots of people who use teepees in their beadwork....I don't know who was first.....but it is definately not going to be the last. I have teepees on my sons baby mocs. My mom has beaded necklaces with teepees and her login is teepeemaker on some email accounts is she copying someone else, no I don't think so. She makes teepees, she learned from my grandma who made teepees also. My grandma even had a bunholder with a teepee on it....so the teepee beadwork has been around probably as long as the teepee......heehee!! sorry for the last comment I was just crazy!!
                          @}-->-->--BuckskinRose--<--<--{@

Comment

I would like to say what I have seen

I live in the Great Lakes area. I was on the curcuit since I was small child. I know that hand drums existed when i was young, because i was at a round dance in Hobeama, but they were never in our parts, but i can't speak of the mide lodge either, because i hear that they existed within there ceremonies.
                            After Scimitzun started and all the western tribes brought their hand drums, hell it was a hand drum bonanza in our area. People start bringing them to the local powwows, selling them, having workshops. It just progressed from there. Now today, they are everywhere, but before Scimitzun there wasn't a hand drum anywhere in oue area. Also with contemporay and old style mens traditional. After Scimitzun again, i never heard that word OLD STYLE so much. Everyone was walking and talking old style that it was almost sickning.
                            In 1995 i was given a pair of dreamcatcher earings by the Wawasuk family during my travels. Never seen anything like them before, i was very proud and honored when i recieved them. Five years later, Hell it was another bonanza this time on dreamcathers, and there was also writings that the Ojibwe created them. I know we all need a sales pitch and a story behind our products that are being marketed, but were they really created by the Ojibwe people. Five years before they were in Montana and Arizona, so i really dont know to this day where they came from, but i do know they were else where, before in our area.
                            So i guess i am trying to say that the Western states and Provinces and tribes have a big effect on our powwow ways.
                            I am a dancer who had wore a turban and flap leggings, and i want to give credit where credit is due. I liked to watch Jerry Clealand SR. from Pontiac Michigan who wore both on a consistant basis, ever since I was small. He stayed true to his roots, and i and i admired that about him. I wanted my outfit to lookm like that, not like his , but that original Ojibwe style.

Comment

stop copyyyying me
                              lol
                              187TatankaOyate..KingBird..DakotahHotaine..
                              ..MidniteExpress'..HighLife..

..BuffaloHorse
                              ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
                              BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
                              ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
                              LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
                              StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
                              Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
                              ..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
                              CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
                              NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
                              RIP lil brother

Comment

Maybe someone should create a family design with the tipi, than I can see why someone wouold complain. Otherwise....its a tipi design!!!

Im just gonna bead someone elses name on my belt for sheets and giggles.

Does any one person owns the rights to use a buffalo or an eagle design? Its in how the buffalo or eagle is portrayed within another design.
                                There are 2 types of people in the world...
                                Really stupid people who think they are smart
                                and
                                Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X