• Show
Clear All

• Coyot_In_The_House
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sweetsage02
    replied
    Originally posted by dancing_plumes
    I know there has to many more out there, What do you's do, how do you handle the situation, when someone just outright copies your style of dance or style of outfit. It becomes really fustrating, when it is a adult, I can see children picking up things, but a adult!!!
    So all you trend setters do you have a monkey see monkey do, stalking all your ideas.
    ASIDE FROM HAVING TO COPYRIGHT "YOUR STUFF" - JUST KEEP IN MIND..."OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER (QUITE) DUPLICATED"

Leave a comment:

• ajibik
    replied
    Boy, just a bunch of copy-catters, huhn!?!?

Leave a comment:

• notsocheese
    replied
    Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie
    Just get out there and dance and bead and sew to your heart's content and if you have a design or outfit or a dance style pretty close to another's so what the hell, dance cuz you luv it and be proud to be out there with everyone.
    ITA with ya!

Leave a comment:

• ojibwaysweetie
    replied
    Just get out there and dance and bead and sew to your heart's content and if you have a design or outfit or a dance style pretty close to another's so what the hell, dance cuz you luv it and be proud to be out there with everyone. So close this thread now will ya? Its silly.

LMAO

Leave a comment:

• emma_sophia
    replied
    Okay, I have to throw in my 2 cents and share this: many years ago I made a dress for a fancy shawl dancer with a very unique design. After she wore it, a young man approached me with tobacco and asked if he could copy the design for a jingle dress for his girlfriend. I was so flattered and humbled that someone wanted to copy what I had created. I think anyone whose designs are copied should consider themselves a trendsetter.

And by the way, I invented french braids!!! LOL, just kidding!

Leave a comment:

• lou_c_fur6swic6
    replied
    Imitation is the best form of flattery!!!!

Leave a comment:

• TKMJ Productions
    replied
    Originally posted by indianjoe1946
    WOW !! Interesting statement TKMJ ! Perhaps a good topic for a new thread, eh ?
    Gotta protect the songs. Gotta protect the stories and meanings. People take songs and twist them. They mess up words and dont know their true meaning. If a song is done right I usually dont say anything but when a song is done wrong, you gotta say something so it can be corrected.

Now mind you if a drum plays another drums song without permission, the least they can do is do the song correctly and dont mush it up.

Leave a comment:

• indianjoe1946
    replied
    Originally posted by TKMJ Productions
    Now ya all know why we do copyright native music. It's to protect the songs from the hobbiest and the wanabi drums.

All of the drums I work with know that they can gift a song. They also know they need to tell me who the gifted a song to. That way I know who has permission to use the song at a powwow.
    WOW !! Interesting statement TKMJ ! Perhaps a good topic for a new thread, eh ?

Leave a comment:

• Lakota Wiyan
    replied
    Thats just great!! I Like what you said about the I me My Syndrome. I think its a compliment to imitate someone, and you just never know whats going on in another part of the country.....someone else could have gotten the same "original" idea that you did waaaay over der :::::> (points with lips).
    There are walmarts all across the country, so dont think that new piece of ribbon or material is all that "unique"!!j/k
    Besides, there are some "trends" that absolutely should not be mimicked....I think the day and age of the neon EVERYTHING is on its way out....HOLY COW....day glow dancers....looks like a Valley Girl conference from the 80's!!

Leave a comment:

• tweety_rez
    replied
    That was a joke

incase any of yall uptight folks didn't get it.

Leave a comment:

• tweety_rez
    replied
    All I'm saying is....

If I see someone bust out a new crown with a big TIPI right out in the center of it, I just think I might puke on em. LOL

Get a real design please.

Leave a comment:

• TKMJ Productions
    replied
    Now ya all know why we do copyright native music. It's to protect the songs from the hobbiest and the wanabi drums.

All of the drums I work with know that they can gift a song. They also know they need to tell me who the gifted a song to. That way I know who has permission to use the song at a powwow.

We had a situation a few years ago where a wanabi drum swiped a song from one of our clients. We let it slide at the powwow but they got a letter from the white courts for copyright infringment. They got an invatation to see a white man judge. We let the white law take care of the wanabi problem. I'm sorry to say that we lost a wanabi drum to the circle. NOT!!!! OH WELL!!!!! WHAT YA GONNA DO!!!!!!

Sometimes you gotta use the white mans rules to solve a white man problem.

Leave a comment:

• billyjoejimbob
    replied
    Maybe someone should create a family design with the tipi, than I can see why someone wouold complain. Otherwise....its a tipi design!!!

Im just gonna bead someone elses name on my belt for sheets and giggles.

Does any one person owns the rights to use a buffalo or an eagle design? Its in how the buffalo or eagle is portrayed within another design.

Leave a comment:

• shorty
    replied
    stop copyyyying me
    lol

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X