Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Dance Southern style

Everybody answer this, ok?

I have a question about how to dance round dance if you're southern cloth/buckskin.

Do you dip on the honor beats like you would if you're dancing a straight song? Do you dance on your toes like the northern ladies and barely take steps?

Do you dance fast or slow?

How do you judge a round dance for southern style? What do you look for?
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

That is a good question....I have seen women dip and dance in place and others not even bat an eyelash-meaning no change whatsoever. Everytime I have contested with a round dance I do dip for the honor beats. I'd like to see what others have to say.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave..Dakota leader.

Comment

It's open for intepretation in AZ...remember that this isn't OK, anything goes!!!!!!
      I was told that for a round dance, a southern cloth dancer dances slow..it's a round dance not a war mother's song or a 49 song. HOWEVER...
      I usually dance fast and turn on the hard beats...what's been called "scout dancing", I never dip on the honor beats for a round dance. There are a LOT of dancers who do however. I think LOTS of women southern cloth dancers just do what ever they think looks good and I can say that MOST judges don't have a clue about what's the right style.
      I know that doesn't really help but at least it explains why some people do certain things.

Comment

Work at your brain's pace. lol

Back when I used to do southern cloth, all my friends and I danced slow, small steps. However, not alot of people bowed on the honor beats. I always do because they're freaking honor beats... I gotta show some honor, WOOT !!! :P But the last powwow I went to some time in January all the ladies danced fast. There was one lady who danced very slow. In some way, I think we all noticed her more because her slow careful movements where very graceful. She was a lovely dancer. I'm partial to moving slow... but that's so my brain can keep up. hahahaha But I agree, I don't think anyone knows exactly what to do. They go with what they know and like.
        ~*The only thing we know for sure is that we believe.*~

Comment

Omaha style

I can only speak for Omaha style and they either wear camp dresses or ribbonwork. When rounddancing, the left foot (leading) kind of angles in the direction going (clockwise), basically it's not pointing straight toward the center. Then the right foot, which is pointing toward the center, meets the left foot at the arch (or so). Kinda looks like a ballet dancer's first position in a plea (sp?) but not so out, more like a "V" or a backwards lower case "y". Confused Yet? We dance slow and we can bow or not. I think of the elder ladies and they would not bow.

Comment

Its very true about anything goes in AZ.

I'm just curious to see what other people think about this issue.

Comment

I dance fast and don't look down, whether I'm in my buck or in cloth.

Comment

Yo super!

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
                Its very true about anything goes in AZ.

I'm just curious to see what other people think about this issue.
                What tha...what'z thiz thread doing in pw talk any hoo...hmm
                "The age old question fast vs. slow..hehe...well I was taught by some of your aunties (Ms supers otoe aunties) and then was taught by ma sis (Shayne Hughes)..so I'm confused lol....hmm..gotta say however you were shown to dance....and I will continue to be confused till the next all -around I participate in lol..and your rite anythang goes these dayz...just gotta remember that most of these peeps are new and dance like the current champs...I've been lucky to have those ol school ladies show me their skillz and give me heck for not dancin rite....holla bck Mz. SuperNdngurl...do yo thang

Comment

just from an onlookers point of view, i've seen most southern women dance slow & dip during the honor beats. I think it looks more graceful, just as it does during a straight song.

I've also seen southern women dance it fast & it just didnt look as good unless she really "worked it" smoothly the entire time. I've also seen a few women that shake thier fans while dancing fast to a rounder...does anyone know where that started?
                  *BE EASY*

Comment

Omg...

Originally posted by Ivanasnagu View Post
                    I dance fast and don't look down, whether I'm in my buck or in cloth.
                    why not just go BUCK... my brother said...

Sorry he's RETARDED!!
                    One of the most adventurous things left us is to go to bed. For no one can lay a hand on our dreams.

Comment

my wife dances fast started a couple yrs ago and started to notice others were kinda copying her. she only started dancing fast cuz slow was making her legs hurt more than usual. and she said dancing slow was boring.

Comment

Originally posted by skybird5 View Post
                        I was told that for a round dance, a southern cloth dancer dances slow..it's a round dance not a war mother's song or a 49 song. .

whats that mean?? who dances fast to 49 or war mothers song???

Comment

skybird5 means soldier dance, right?

Comment

A codger speaks.

In the 1950's at most Oklahoma powwows, after parade in, there would be round dancing. There was no contesting, just the opposite. All the women danced alike, a nice kind of a "swing and sway' as viewed from the front or back, and they were all in step going sunwise. Each step to the left was on every other beat, the accent beat, the body rising with each step. No honor beat stuff, as I recall. It was beautiful to watch. The men had a more active step, left foot to the left on every accent beat, also moving sunwise.

At that time, the idea of a round dance contest was a laugh. If you're all trying to dance alike, how could it be a contest?

At some powwows, a few women stepped forward and back while moving left. That was about the only change-up that I saw, and it was not the norm.

At Taos Pueblo, NM, they are immersed in making the songs and dancing the round dance. The women dance either sunwise or anti-sunwise on the same song; it depends on which group you care to join. The Taos men don't use honor beats when rendering round dance songs. That is a powwow style outside of Taos.

Having said all that, in a way, I feel sorry for the women and girls who were asked at a later time, to round dance as contestants. Being called upon to do so, they were sort of forced into making up stuff so the judges would notice them. Bowing or changing direction momentarily on the honor beats is one change. Raising the fan is another. Using a rabbit or owl dance step is another. Active stepping as the Okie men do is another. Then there is "tiptoeing", zig-zagging, and turning the torso from side to side. It is all fairly recent from my old perspective.

Sorry I don't have a solution. Too late for tears. Again, it has to do with someone along the line, introducing round dancing as a contest. Probably has to do with money and winning, but it is anathema to what round dance used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
                              A codger speaks.

In the 1950's at most Oklahoma powwows, after parade in, there would be round dancing. There was no contesting, just the opposite. All the women danced alike, a nice kind of a "swing and sway' as viewed from the front or back, and they were all in step going sunwise. Each step to the left was on every other beat, the accent beat, the body rising with each step. No honor beat stuff, as I recall. It was beautiful to watch. The men had a more active step, left foot to the left on every accent beat, also moving sunwise.

At that time, the idea of a round dance contest was a laugh. If you're all trying to dance alike, how could it be a contest?

At some powwows, a few women stepped forward and back while moving left. That was about the only change-up that I saw, and it was not the norm.

At Taos Pueblo, NM, they are immersed in making the songs and dancing the round dance. The women dance either sunwise or anti-sunwise on the same song; it depends on which group you care to join. The Taos men don't use honor beats when rendering round dance songs. That is a powwow style outside of Taos.

Having said all that, in a way, I feel sorry for the women and girls who were asked at a later time, to round dance as contestants. Being called upon to do so, they were sort of forced into making up stuff so the judges would notice them. Bowing or changing direction momentarily on the honor beats is one change. Raising the fan is another. Using a rabbit or owl dance step is another. Active stepping as the Okie men do is another. Then there is "tiptoeing", zig-zagging, and turning the torso from side to side. It is all fairly recent from my old perspective.

Sorry I don't have a solution. Too late for tears. Again, it has to do with someone along the line, introducing round dancing as a contest. Probably has to do with money and winning, but it is anathema to what round dance used to be.
                              I agree......

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X