"old Style" For Us Ladies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "old Style" For Us Ladies

Greetings Pow wow Peeps I was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on old style fancy shawl and old style womens traditional.......looking for advice on styles of regalia and style of dance especailly for fancy shawl???? Miigetch/Nyweh AMZ:)
    THUNDERING BEAR DESIGNS

Just ReMemBer U cAn TaKe DA GuRll oFF dA REZ.....BuT U CaNt TaKe DA rEZ oUt oF DA GURL!! So AS DA BeAt GoEs ON.....AMZ

long time ago, the fancy shawl dancers, around where I'm at, didn't have the big beaded bibs and capes. the dresses were usually more elaborate than the shawls, which is opposite now, and the dancing was more subdued. It was more about alot of footwork instead of big shawls and lots of turns. I guess the focus was more on the footwork, instead of how high and far you can toss your shawl, or how fast you get around the arbor, or how high you kick. The ladies held their shawls near their waste, with arms slightly bent, or sometimes, and this is waaay old school, they held their shawls in the fist and their fists on their hips or their waist.

I think this old style of fancy should come back more prevalent. We only see a few ladies doing this, and at that, it is usually with the Senior women's category. I think you would be just absolutely awesome if you did it!!
    Ipsica Waci
    Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Originally posted by NDNPrincess View Post
      Greetings Pow wow Peeps I was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on old style fancy shawl and old style womens traditional.......looking for advice on styles of regalia and style of dance especailly for fancy shawl???? Miigetch/Nyweh AMZ:)
      There is a video demo on this website that Paul G. made, it is done very well. I like to do this type of old style fancy myself, when I'm in my cloth dress.

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman View Post
        There is a video demo on this website that Paul G. made, it is done very well. I like to do this type of old style fancy myself, when I'm in my cloth dress.
        Look, I found it! WW

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...nal&perpage=90

Comment

From what I have seen in photos, many of the old-style shawl dancers did not have fringe on their shawls. But it looks like ribbon edging was quite common. The dresses were a little shorter too, some ended just above the knee, at least during the 1960s.

Comment

Very nice. Joyful and elegant at the same time. It would be nice to see it make a comeback.

Comment

Gee it was nice to see that video! Thanks for finding it WW!

Reminds me of when I was a little girl. There was a fancy dancer on the Pine Ridge Reservation, Anna Fire Thunder, who was just excellent. She made it look easy and fun, so thats why I started to Fancy Shawl dance. Man, in the early 80's, it was nothing like it is now! No dayglow colors/neon, and we just had the plain chainette fringe. Oh, and Dennis One Star was also one of my favorites!
              Ipsica Waci
              Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Miigwetch Nyweh Thank you

Thankz so much ladies for ur advice and kind words.....and great direction well keep shining out duuurrr :) maybe one day will meet on da trail...you'lll see me dancing by with my old style fancy shawl lol thankx again

payce luv and fried bread grease AMZ :P
                THUNDERING BEAR DESIGNS

Just ReMemBer U cAn TaKe DA GuRll oFF dA REZ.....BuT U CaNt TaKe DA rEZ oUt oF DA GURL!! So AS DA BeAt GoEs ON.....AMZ

Comment

Originally posted by NDNPrincess View Post
                  Thankz so much ladies for ur advice and kind words.....and great direction well keep shining out duuurrr :) maybe one day will meet on da trail...you'lll see me dancing by with my old style fancy shawl lol thankx again

payce luv and fried bread grease AMZ :P
                  HEY GIRL WHAT UP!? It's your fave bannock diva ayyyyeee! Hey you coming up to Odawa this year? Lemme know!
                  Got percap?

Comment

WW,

This video is Madonna Thunder Hawk interpreting the earliest form of the fancy shawl dance.

She is one of the original pioneers of this dance.
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.