Non-natives spectating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-natives spectating

I'm new to the board...I know from searching previous threads that there have been similar threads in the past dealing with non-natives who go and dance at pow-wows. I didn't feel like those threads applied to me because I have no intention to attempt to dance at a powwow because I am non-native and I think it would be disrespectful to you guys. But I am very interested in Native American culture and would love to come and be a spectator.

I had some specific questions. First, am I welcome to come to any pow-wow or are there some that are reserved for natives only? And if a pow-wow is reserved for only natives, are outsiders welcome if they have been invited as a guest (not that I have anyone in mind to invite me but in case I ever do in the future)? Second, I read the "etiquette" page here on the site and took note of all the things mentioned on there. But is there any points of etiquette not mentioned on that page that any of you could add tailored specifically for non-natives such as myself? Finally, does anyone have any suggestions of a good pow-wow that I could attend in the near future (somewhere in the vicinity of Western NC)?

Thanks!

Powwows are all opn to the public, so you can feel free to attend any powwow. There are dances called intertribals that allows the public to come in and dance with us, just make sure you remember the etiquette rules and you'll be well. Things like not touching regalia, make sure you have shoes on and for women there shoulders covered. Events that are refered to has gatherings tend to be more for natives. There are a couple of powwows going on up that way one is Easter weekend that Friday and Saturday, then there is one Mother's day weekend. I'll have to get back to you with the locations. Feel free to leave me a pm with your email address and I'll let you know where those are. Also there will be one in Ellijay,ga that's on Hwy 515 if you want to go outside of NC. I hope this helps, I'm sure there will be more that will be helpful to.
    The look on a baby's face the first time they hear the drum is priceless.......

Comment

Originally posted by Meow View Post
      I'm new to the board...I know from searching previous threads that there have been similar threads in the past dealing with non-natives who go and dance at pow-wows. I didn't feel like those threads applied to me because I have no intention to attempt to dance at a powwow because I am non-native and I think it would be disrespectful to you guys. But I am very interested in Native American culture and would love to come and be a spectator.

I had some specific questions. First, am I welcome to come to any pow-wow or are there some that are reserved for natives only? And if a pow-wow is reserved for only natives, are outsiders welcome if they have been invited as a guest (not that I have anyone in mind to invite me but in case I ever do in the future)? Second, I read the "etiquette" page here on the site and took note of all the things mentioned on there. But is there any points of etiquette not mentioned on that page that any of you could add tailored specifically for non-natives such as myself? Finally, does anyone have any suggestions of a good pow-wow that I could attend in the near future (somewhere in the vicinity of Western NC)?

Thanks!
      First welcome, second the threads and the etiquitte within apply to all, generally. Many powwows and other gatherings are for us only, but you probably would never hear of them in the first place. Most in the cities or urban areas are not, some in the more rural areas are open too. All who are respectful and want to just sit, watch and learn are welcome.

Check out the Gathering of Nations site for etiquitte rules: http://www.gatheringofnations.com/powwow/whatto.htm

this ones a good link too for general information:

and you can use this site to find out about local powwows.

have fun
      Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

I've been going to pow wows for about 6 years now and I've been out in the circle twice. Both times I was personally invited to dance and both times were for special dances for cultural performances. Strangely enough, at the same place too... I've always felt the best approach is to just kick back and watch. Even though I can go out during intertribals, I still don't feel that's my place. If someone comes up to me and asks me to dance, then I'll go out there. But I go out to enjoy the songs, the dancers, the food, all those nice looking women, seeing friends, and just relaxing. Just pay attention to the MC, don't touch anybody's regalia (NEVER call it a costume), and you'll be fine.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.