• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aihsc
    AIHSC
    • Apr 2005

Bogus Arkansas Powwow

On the “Northern Cherokee Nation” powwow April 13 - 15, 2007 at Mulberry, Arkansas:

The “Northern Cherokee Nation of Arkansas and Missouri ”, based in Missouri, is not a state or federally recognized “tribe“. Nor is it accepted as a genuine Cherokee group (or as American Indian) by any of the three legitimate Cherokee tribes. The “Northern Cherokee of Arkansas and Missouri ” like many other groups in Arkansas and Missouri, was founded by non-Indians who have fabricated their own American Indian history, cultures, and traditions. There are well over 200 groups alone that call themselves some type of Cherokee “tribe” or “nation” - even two that are located in Alaska! In addition, this non-profit corporation was terminated for administrative reasons by the State of Missouri on 12/29/06 and cannot legally conduct activities other than to liquidate assets and finish business at hand. According to the Arkansas Department of Commerce the “Northern Cherokee“ cannot legally conduct business in the State because of this termination.

Shame on any legitimate Indians who support this bogus group with their participation.
  • Wakalapi
    www.wakalapi.com
    • Jun 2001

Cherokee of Alaska?? Holay... wonder why there isn't a Tlinget Nation of Louisiana ennit?
    "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
    Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

• JinglnCrazyLilBird
      Procrastinator Tater
      • Aug 2004

There's a group of active Northern Cherokees here in Kansas. They have a powwow annually at the university where my mom works. I have always wondered about them since I had never heard of any Cherokees splitting off and heading up North in our history. I assumed they were one of those state-recognized groups. The one powwow I went to, I left before it even started. They gourd danced for a couple hours and most everyone there was a cloth/tradish dancer. I was fixing to see some other dance styles. However, my mom and I did get to sit next to their "Chief" when we showed up late (as usual lol) and couldn't figure out where we were supposed to be. Luckily they had one good vender so I got some beading supplies out of it.

The people that participate in their group are nice enough but I don't take kindly to those that further corrupt the Cherokee name. One should never be embarrased about their tribal claims, and yet I am. I swear if I see another ad for "AUTHENTIC CHEROKEE MADE" regalia that is more likely authentic china made, I'm going to go authentically Cherokee psycho on someone! lol I've been saying it for yeeeeears, the Cherokee nation needs to re-unify and re-educate. There needs to be some sort of clear standard set for what it is to be Cherokee so that those interested in reattaining their heritage can do it in a way that doesn't make a mockery of the rest of us. Those who aren't cherokee but claim it because it seems an easy tribe to adopt should realize that what they are doing is not in line with traditional ways of Cherokee communalism. They claim Cherokee to fulfill some personal desire and do not reflect on how their claim and subsuquent behavior effects the tribe. This is selfishness not commitment to one's people. Because both Cherokees and the masquerading non-cherokees have lost this sense of community (although for many cherokees, it is not their fault since it was the government that forced them to adopt a strong sense of individuality), they have not considered how their every behavior effects the repute of our nation. Now after years of misbehavior, our tribe has accrued a noticeable disgrace. I, for one, don't understand why these bogus groups don't see it. I only hope that somewhere along the way we can finally sift away the dirt and shine as gold again.

Somehow this turned into a rant... sorry :P We're getting down to the end of the semester so my adrenaline from having to rush to get things finished has me crazed! Someone needs to take the keyboard away from me. lol
      ~*The only thing we know for sure is that we believe.*~

Comment

• WocusWoman
        N8tiffUmatillaMAMA
        • Feb 2004

I live in Alaska, I'm not Cherokee, and I've never heard of a Cherokee tribe or group in all the 18 years that I've lived here...

Comment

• Blackbear
          Honey Connoissuer
          • Nov 2000

Uh... I'm not aware of any Cherokee "tribes" in Alaska. There might be some social or nonprofit groups (clubs) of cherokee descendants here but not "tribes".
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

• Blackbear
            Honey Connoissuer
            • Nov 2000

Hey, btw.... why do you have the Lumbees and the Saponis listed on your BEWARE list of suspect tribes? Both of those groups have previously proven that they are established indian people.... You need to do your own research on them before putting them on the chopping block dude.
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

• superndngyrl
              hello
              • Mar 2002

where is his beware list? i wanna read it. *L*
              The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

• WocusWoman
                N8tiffUmatillaMAMA
                • Feb 2004

I know of a couple of cherokees, even one that has a great-grandmother Cherokee princess in their lineage, but I cannot think of a group in Alaska that has formed to my knowledge.

Maybe they are hiding somewhere in this large state, waiting to come out when its time? Maybe.... when hell freezes over!

Comment

• Blackbear
                  Honey Connoissuer
                  • Nov 2000

Maybe they just took over where Papa Pilgrim left off eh Wocus? LOL

Ok it says in Arkansas and MO. Since when did arkansas have a lumbee nation of NC and USA and MO have a saponi group? I know there's supposed to be a lumbee of CA and I think one in OH that are suspect.....
                  Last edited by Blackbear; 04-10-2007, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• WocusWoman
                    N8tiffUmatillaMAMA
                    • Feb 2004

HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Papa Pilgrim, now I could believe that those crazies might also claim to be a cherokee tribe. Too funny, lol.

Comment

• WocusWoman
                      N8tiffUmatillaMAMA
                      • Feb 2004

My 17 year old son still gets a kick out of that whole story, everytime his name comes up, what a weirdo. Why do so many weirdos end up in Alaska. I know many Natives in the village towns are very weary about strangers showing up, because of some of the incidents that have taken place in their wake. Papa Pilgrim is a fine example of this. I don't doubt that there might be a so called Cherokee Tribe in Alaska, I just don't know of any around.

Comment

• native nation
                        n8vNation
                        • Feb 2006

man....that's something else.

Comment

• NorthofAda
                          Back where I belong
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
                          Maybe they just took over where Papa Pilgrim left off eh Wocus? LOL

Ok it says in Arkansas and MO. Since when did arkansas have a lumbee nation of NC and USA and MO have a saponi group? I know there's supposed to be a lumbee of CA and I think one in OH that are suspect.....
                          I checked that link, Blackbear, and found some interesting info. I was disturbed, though, that when you click on the "Links" menu item they have this to say about Powwows.com...

"Powwows.com - ... Sadly, not recommended any more. It has associated itself with Manataka as a partial sponsor it's last craft contest. As such, it has become an enabler for an organization that exploits the American Indian."

And I thought we were the good guys....

Comment

• SeaHawk
                            Junior Dancer
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
                            Hey, btw.... why do you have the Lumbees and the Saponis listed on your BEWARE list of suspect tribes? Both of those groups have previously proven that they are established indian people.... You need to do your own research on them before putting them on the chopping block dude.
                            I saw that list. I remember reading about some folks in Ohio calling themselves the "Saponi Nation", maybe that is who they are talking about. Please do not confuse them with the Haliwa-Saponi Indian Tribe of NC. No relation... no how.
                            "I am not a superhero; just one of the few working hard and long for the survival of my PEOPLE."

Comment

• aihsc
                              AIHSC
                              • Apr 2005

Alaska Cherokee/ Lumbees/Saponi of Missouri

“Alaska Cherokees” - I know there are no real Cherokee Tribes in Alaska. But there is a group claiming to be a Cherokee “tribe” in the Kenai area (which is Kenaitze Indian territory) and a group in the Big Lake area. The first Big Lake homesteaders were solid European descendants such as the Gronwoldt’s and the Andersons (the closest Indians to Big Lake were/are in the Tanaina Indian village of Kinik.) The point is that there are fake “Cherokee” tribes all over the place. BTW, my daughters are Yupik/Shawnee - I spent over 35 years in the Kuskokwim and Yukon Delta regions.

The Lumbees listed is the California Non-profit 501 3C corporation called the “United Lumbee Nation of North Carolina and America” - not the Lumbees of NC. Please note that the name on our site is different from the legit Lumbees. This group was started by two women in a California CB club. They sell franchises, one of which was started in SE Arkansas by a guy calling himself “Chief Kodiak, which has now have moved to the Hot Springs area.

The same with the “Saponi Nation” on our list. It is a group formed in West Plains, Missouri that claims they moved there in the early 1800’s and is not the same as the Haliwa-Saponi of NC. Again, please note that the group is listed under Missouri.

BlackBear: We have done our research - the real groups are not on our “chopping block" :>)

The complaint about Powwows.com will be removed in the future if no other similar associations occur. Perhaps they learned their lesson. They got caught up with a group in Arkansas calling itself the “Manataka American Indian Council” during the big craft contest. Several winners refused to take their prizes because of this.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.