Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redbird Powwow Update

Some updates for the Redbird Powwow:

We have our full head staff filled in now and we are looking forward to our first open Native American flute circle on the evening of July 20. The regular powwow scedule, starting with gourd dancing, will take place on Saturday and Sunday.

On Friday eveneing we are also planning a potluck for vendors, volunteers, tipi folks, flute players and anyone else who wants to come and share a meal, starting about 5:30 pm somewhere near the arena. (Follow your nose to the smell of food).

The Southwest Kwapa Bird Singers from Somerton Arizona will be joining us again this year. We also welcome hand drum groups, both on Friday evening and throughout the weekend.

We are also gathering blankets, in two varieties; new, lightweight but warm blankets that we can ship out in the fall to needy families, and not so new blankets that can be used as sweat lodge coverings, for a couple of locl lodges who could use some new coverings. The elements take their toll on lodge covers.

Finally, we are looking for contributors to the 2007 powwow program to write about why they sing and dance. Information on that is below, followed by the updated powwow information.

Why We Sing, Why We Dance – Redbird 2007 Powwow Program

I would like to ask you if you would be willing to write something for the Redbird 2007 powwow program.

Usually I put the program together myself, but I don’t want to do that this year. Instead, I would like to compile the thoughts of others about what a powwow is to them, why they sing, why they dance. This is also open to people who are not singers or dancers, including those who are not Indian, because it would be good to know what it is about the powwow that continues to attract non-native people.

Time is an issue. I need your thoughts, ideas, stories, and a picture if you want to send one, by July 7. I will make every attempt to include everyone who responds. I will also give you credit but you have to tell me what name and tribal affiliation, if any, you want to appear as the credit. I will try to include pictures. I will also not edit your work for anything but spelling errors.

It doesn’t have to be flowery or three pages long; in fact, what will work best is three to four paragraphs, or less.

If you aren’t sure if this is something you want to participate in and you need more information, please visit our website at www.RedbirdsVision.org

The absolute deadline is July 7 and that is not very far away. I apologize for such short notice; the idea came to me yesterday while I was not in front of a computer, and I am getting this request for your participation out as quickly as I can.

Many thanks for your help! Mitakuye Oyasin,

Corina

Redbird’s 2007
    Children of Many Colors Native American Intertribal Powwow
    July 20-22, 2007
    Moorpark College Athletic Field
    7075 Campus Road, Moorpark, California 93021

Friday, July 20 6 p.m. - 10 p.m.
    Open Native American Flute Circle
    Saturday July 21 11 a.m. -10 p.m.
    Gourd Dancing, Grand Entry, Intertribal and Exhibition Dancing
    Sunday, July 22 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Gourd Dancing, Grand Entry, Intertribal and Exhibition Dancing

Native American Art, Craft, Food and Fine Jewelry Vendors
    Informational and Non Profit Organizations
    Tipi Village – Tipis Welcome
    All Drums Welcome
    All Dancers Welcome
    Public Welcome
    $2.00 suggested donation to benefit Redbird,
    a 501(c)(3) non profit association

Special Guests:
    Southwest Kwapa Bird Singers
    Somerton, Arizona
    Host Northern Drum
    Wild Horse Singers
    Host Gourd and Southern Drum
    Hale and Company
    Master of Ceremonies
    Michael A. Reifel, San Carlos Apache
    Arena Director
    Victor Chavez, Dine
    Head Gourd Dancer
    David Patterson, Sac and Fox Nation
    Head Man Dancer
    Robert Silent Thunder, Tsalagi/Grovan
    Head Woman Dancer
    Jozie Villa, Apache
    Head Teen Boy Dancer
    Gregory Whitehorse, Apache/Tsalagi/Costanoan
    Head Teen Girl Dancer
    Tyla Simon, Blackfoot
    Whip Man
    Randy Folkes, Chumash/Gabriellino
    Redbird
    Promoting the awareness and celebration of Indigenous cultures and people and creating a sustainable future
    P.O. Box 702, Simi Valley, CA 93062 (805) 217-0364
    Email: [email protected] Website: www.RedbirdsVision.org

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.