Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sycuan Powwow Sept 7-9th

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    From what I heard, this powwow's known to have tabulation mistakes w/in the past years. You think after 3 years, they'd be able to get it straight due to complaints from dancers. & having "Ryan Rumley's tabulation crew" is plainly a suggestion, don't think its self promoting...But I do gotta say that they do a good job at tabulations at other powwows that I've been to & I haven't heard any complaints from dancers about the way they tabulate.
    Overall, Sycuan was a fun powwow, but however, on Sunday, it just got a little weird w/ the ties w/in different categories & then the winner call outs.
    I called the committee the other day as I stated in the previous posts & they said that they were done tabulating. Then another dancer called after I did that same day & they told her that they were still calculating. Which is weird, cause why would they say different? Not only that, but taking people's names & numbers & saying they'll call back when they haven't at all.
    *~*bLiNgin' ya bLiNd*~*

    Comment


    • #17
      Unofficially there have been some changes in the Adult category winners. So it is true they did have tabulation errors and somebody isn't just making up bad comments about a pow-wow again.

      I hope the committee gives Paul a list of actual winners.
      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
        Unofficially there have been some changes in the Adult category winners. So it is true they did have tabulation errors and somebody isn't just making up bad comments about a pow-wow again.

        I hope the committee gives Paul a list of actual winners.
        Yes they are doing that also.
        New to the site--Introduce Yourself

        Find a Pow Wow Near You!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by ItzRaeRae View Post
          From what I heard, this powwow's known to have tabulation mistakes w/in the past years. You think after 3 years, they'd be able to get it straight due to complaints from dancers. & having "Ryan Rumley's tabulation crew" is plainly a suggestion, don't think its self promoting...But I do gotta say that they do a good job at tabulations at other powwows that I've been to & I haven't heard any complaints from dancers about the way they tabulate.
          Overall, Sycuan was a fun powwow, but however, on Sunday, it just got a little weird w/ the ties w/in different categories & then the winner call outs.
          I called the committee the other day as I stated in the previous posts & they said that they were done tabulating. Then another dancer called after I did that same day & they told her that they were still calculating. Which is weird, cause why would they say different? Not only that, but taking people's names & numbers & saying they'll call back when they haven't at all.
          DUH!!! Who do you think is a part of Ryan Rumley's crew??? None other than skybird! Anyway, these people are just learning how to do tabulations, yes there is gonna be mistakes made, that's how we learn...from our mistakes. Now it might take a few years......I don't think anybody has learned this stuff over night or from a 1 time deal and since these people only have their powwow once a year, go figure! But it took a few years for that other crew to learn also, they didn't have things perfected the first 3-4-5 times, they still don't!! And if you dancers know that this has happened in the past and have complained, then why do you continue to show up??? Because of the money.....not because of the love of dancing but because you want to win....and I know of SOME that start whining around the minute they are not in the top 2!! Everybody knows who they are.....it's a given with them at these powwows. Those are the complainers....get a grip people. Let these people learn and don't fault them for mistakes that are made. If you can't handle losing.......don't go! Remember that this tribe doesn't have to have this powwow at all OR put out all that prize money...........especially for a bunch of ungrateful morons!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
            Nope, they are not. This powwow always has problems. But Morongo and San Manuel have not.
            Always remember that you can not judge a powwow by what happen somewhere else. Just cuz they are down the road from each other, doesn't mean the same committee is running it. On the Cali curcuit, each powwow is run by a different band/tribe.
            By the way, I would definetly recommend Morongo or San Manuel.
            Thats true, my plans have not changed and i will definitely be heading out that way.

            Comment


            • #21
              Daaaaaaamn, *lmao* calm down!! Why you all tryin' to defend the tabulators!? You one of them? *LOL*
              I'm not trying to put down the pow-wow itself, just about how the tabulations are "counted". Like I said...fun powwow to be at, but just got a lil weird on Sunday. I haven't been to this powwow in a looooooong time, & decided to go this year. Of course, there wasn't a big show up, I'm guessing cause of the tabulation history from previous years, but as much as they don't like to hear the complaints & how much of a hassle it is, why don't they just get a tabulation crew who knows their stuff & maybe things will be smoother when it comes to Sunday evening. If that's something that their lacking is knowledge of point keeping & counting, then I feel that they should've been better prepared & taught the proper way of tabulating after the 1st time of messing up so that way they won't get a bad rep of having "the worst tabulation pow-wow" name & lose so many dancers that won't go back.
              *~*bLiNgin' ya bLiNd*~*

              Comment


              • #22
                So defensive.... sounds like you're one of the people responsible for the tabulation problems.

                I think u could figure out a system beforehand and test it out in a simulation. Excel Spreadsheets is a neat tool! *hint hint*

                The ballots at Sycuan for judging this contest had on one side 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and then a space for the contestant name and on the other side they had (6), (5), (4), (3), (2), (1).

                If you're using that point system you should have wierd results in all categories.

                On top of that, maybe some people who were judging got confused and weren't sure which numbering system they were supposed to use. So there's a lot of room for error w/that ballot and point system.
                The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Nope not one of the tabulators, not even a tribal member. In fact I didn't even GO to this powwow, haven't been there in a couple of years for the simple reason that I don't like the way the powwow is run! Therefore, I DON'T GO! I just think that if you decide to attend this powwow KNOWING what has happened in the past, then live with it! Why come back and complain about the tabulation or judging or whatever, if you don't like it.....don't go! But the money draws greedy people..then when they don't win they complain. And as for getting on here and naming a tabulation crew that you belong to.............that's real classy!! Give these people a break, so they mess up..goes with the flow cause a LOT of these powwows have had tabulation problems. Why just the other month ASU had a BIG FLUB! And so did Pechanga....that's what happens when you have a lot of dancers...things happen. If you don't like it.......don't go!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Truthfully, I've only heard good things about Sycuan and this is my first time ever to go there.

                    I got to see my dad there! :) That was the main reason I went.
                    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Pow-wows!!!!! Can you smell what's cooking?!!! A lot of things happen at these big lucrative Casino pow-wows and for some of us who do like to sing and dance and try to keep that perspective, although, there is that money thing. Like it's been said once before, you can't win them all, there's always another one down the pow-wow trail. "But does it have to be this one?!!!", come on pow-wow folks we need to come with the attitude, win, lose or awww there's always a next time, dude! As for the tabulations, trial and error, it happens!! Get-over-it, go on to the next one.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Pow-wows!!!!! Can you smell what's cooking?!!! A lot of things happen at these big lucrative Casino pow-wows and for some of us who do like to sing and dance and try to keep that perspective, although, there is that money thing. Like it's been said once before, you can't win them all, there's always another one down the pow-wow trail. "But does it have to be this one?!!!", come on pow-wow folks we need to come with the attitude, win, lose or awww there's always a next time, dude! As for the tabulations, trial and error, it happens!! Get-over-it, go on to the next one.

                        Comment


                        • #28
                          [QUOTE=Ms49_Queen;965767] Why just the other month ASU had a BIG FLUB! QUOTE]

                          asu had a flub?? i dont remember that..lol..off the subject

                          Comment


                          • #29
                            Originally posted by Ms49_Queen View Post
                            DUH!!! Who do you think is a part of Ryan Rumley's crew??? None other than skybird! Anyway, these people are just learning how to do tabulations, yes there is gonna be mistakes made, that's how we learn...from our mistakes. Now it might take a few years......I don't think anybody has learned this stuff over night or from a 1 time deal and since these people only have their powwow once a year, go figure! But it took a few years for that other crew to learn also, they didn't have things perfected the first 3-4-5 times, they still don't!! And if you dancers know that this has happened in the past and have complained, then why do you continue to show up??? Because of the money.....not because of the love of dancing but because you want to win....and I know of SOME that start whining around the minute they are not in the top 2!! Everybody knows who they are.....it's a given with them at these powwows. Those are the complainers....get a grip people. Let these people learn and don't fault them for mistakes that are made. If you can't handle losing.......don't go! Remember that this tribe doesn't have to have this powwow at all OR put out all that prize money...........especially for a bunch of ungrateful morons!
                            When you invite people to your powwow that boasts top dollar, you don't get your practice tabulating in on the people who have traveled many miles to come and dance at your dance! You know what you are doing before you set word out across the country and abroad. That is my thinking anyways. Everyone wants a fair shake when they go to these things, it's no fun being practiced on! And no, no tribe HAS to have anything! But it is in honor when people choose to come to your powwow, wow, not a good way to get people to come back by calling people morons.

                            Comment


                            • #30
                              Now you know

                              Originally posted by Ms49_Queen View Post
                              DUH!!! Who do you think is a part of Ryan Rumley's crew??? None other than skybird! Anyway, these people are just learning how to do tabulations, yes there is gonna be mistakes made, that's how we learn...from our mistakes. Now it might take a few years......I don't think anybody has learned this stuff over night or from a 1 time deal and since these people only have their powwow once a year, go figure! But it took a few years for that other crew to learn also, they didn't have things perfected the first 3-4-5 times, they still don't!! And if you dancers know that this has happened in the past and have complained, then why do you continue to show up??? Because of the money.....not because of the love of dancing but because you want to win....and I know of SOME that start whining around the minute they are not in the top 2!! Everybody knows who they are.....it's a given with them at these powwows. Those are the complainers....get a grip people. Let these people learn and don't fault them for mistakes that are made. If you can't handle losing.......don't go! Remember that this tribe doesn't have to have this powwow at all OR put out all that prize money...........especially for a bunch of ungrateful morons!

                              Now you know. If you don't like the History of these mistakes, DON"T GO!...LOL!!!
                              Don't forget why you dance.......to make otherz feel goot!----from the North...

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • skybird5
                                Ft. McDowell Casino Pow Wow
                                by skybird5
                                I was looking at the schedule posted online at the Ft.McDowell Casino website last night and it says that each group of dancers will have winners announced right after their group contests.
                                So Friday night-Golden Age contests, winners announced and they're done. Saturday night-Adult women, both...
                                04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
                              • Windjammer
                                Schemitzun '04
                                by Windjammer
                                Congrats to all the winners at Schemitzun this year, dancing and singing in all that heat and humidity you all deserve it. This was actually my first time going back in quite a while and I must say that I was disappointed with the overall atmosphere and tempo of the pow wow. For one thing, Schemitzun...
                                09-01-2004, 12:16 PM
                              • Guest's Avatar
                                Whitefish Jrs.
                                by Guest
                                Did Whitefish Jrs. break up?
                                04-11-2001, 04:50 PM
                              • Josiah
                                OKC Powwow
                                by Josiah
                                OKC Indian Clinic 3rd Annual Powwow
                                Oklahoma City 18th Aug 2007

                                We went to this powwow last year and was impressed with the committee
                                Well this year again the committee was stellar
                                They fed 900 people in 30 mins!!!!
                                That is better than most Army Chow halls!...
                                08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
                              • Embrey07
                                Winnerz from Winnebago?
                                by Embrey07
                                Anybody have the winners from here? dance and drum winners...
                                07-28-2008, 10:58 AM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              • MikeBurgess
                                Heart races
                                by MikeBurgess
                                Hi everyone,my heart tends to race pretty fast lately and I don't know if it’s because I started taking too much coffee per day or because of a more serious health problem. Now I'm literally a coffee addict. Any idea to stop this?
                                11-06-2021, 06:50 AM

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X