Loosing time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loosing time

As powwow season winds down we can begin to reflect on our year of powwowing.

Last week, I went to a powwow in California. Part of this trip was by air and the other part was on the powwow highway. My driving shift was in the middle of the night, both coming and going between the hours of 2am and 8am. When I got there I was tired. A minivan loaded with dancers and singers for any length of time takes it's toll, yet many of you do it as a way of life.

When I got home I was more tired. Couple that with being on a timezone 4 hours different than my home, by biological timeclock was obliterated. I'm sure several of you can relate?

But alas, I had to go to work like everybody else. It took several days to recooperate back to my normal time schedule.

Do you have any stories from the road to share?

Please share them here?
    Last edited by WhoMe; 10-09-2007, 05:03 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    Do you have any stories from the road to share?
    Dang.... you're opening a can of worms!

Stories from the road? Maybe this should be in the 49 section so people can really give up the dirt! haha....

One of my favorite stories from the road was one of those where you kinda had to be there...... It involved this annoying freaking girl we called "Green Bean" and an all-night road trip home from Red Earth back in like 92 or so..... anyway, about 20 miles west of El Reno around 3 AM, we (me, my sister, & our friends Shelly and Chris) were so fed up with Green Bean that I stopped the truck in the middle of I-40, got out, and proceeded to go on a cursing tirade while walking up and down the middle of the inter state. I think I even invented some new curse words, all so Green Bean would shut the F up and quit being a spoiled little snot. Freaked out everybody in the truck - Shelly was the only one brave enough to sit up front w/ me after that. I don't even remember if there was any traffic on the highway - I probably almost got smashed by a semi or something, but those all night road trips can really work people's nerves, even among the best of friends. In restrospect, it was freaking hilarious - but you kinda had to be there......
    Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

Gah, just got back from Kinder yesterday. We've been on the road since mid September for Soboba, Morongo, and Kinder. I swear, you try traveling with three other women! LOL!! My gawd, if just one more of my sisters stays out partying all weekend then refuses to drive her share, I'm going to leave her her there! LOL. We all agreed to only 4 hours at the wheel but my leg turned into 8...... dayum. The last two hours up I-35 was rugged. I think I slapped my self silly, chewed gum, drank a case of cokes, hung my head out the window and I was still hurtin. We've had a blast, met many nice people, saw some good dancing, and enjoyed some kick azz singing. Now I wish we were headed back to Cali for San Manuel, but I had to get back to work so I can save to do it again next year. Dammit!

Comment

I didn't really do much pow wowing this year...my family was out for a memorial. I did get to hit a couple pow wows...and I learned the fine art of camping. For me, it was a first with an actual dome tent and air mattress, and using the *gasp* PUBLIC SHOWER!!! To me, this was really roughing it...not to mention I pulled up to Julyamsh Pow Wow in a Taxi...talk about rugged...but hey, I still enjoyed it. Maybe see y'all around the trail next year...if my Job will allow it...
        HOWDY HOWDY HOWDY!!! LONG TIME NO SEE!!!

Comment

Str8,

Your story is a common one. In travelling with new people, there is always the possibility of personality conflicts. I have heard of both physical and verbal confrontations from dancers and singers as the result of travelling together.

Ivana,

Oh.... the partiers that leave responsibility at home? Been there done that. It gets old really quick when someone doesn't do their share of the driving because of their partying. I have been there and fumed at the extra hours I had to put in while someone who didn't deserve it, got to sleep.

And staying awake at night? Yes, I think most of us have travelling food that puts us in our comfort zone before we take the wheel. Mine is coffee, a cold drink, hot pork rinds and a slim jim. I only eat pork rinds and slim jims when I am on the road. Oh and I only drink virgin bloody marys on the plane. *L

lilbig,

I hear ya on the "not being able to travel as much as I would like to." But I did hit a good variety of powwows, across the country this year.

As for camping, I'm with ya. I consider myself "a true urban Indian." I like airconditioning, hot showers and cool/clean sheets. I have camped and it takes a lot of work before, during and after. I prefer to just check out of a hotel rather than break down a camp. *L

Comment

Like LBW, I haven't been to many pow-wows this year.

Last month, my oldest brother, sister, niece, myself and my daughter Raegan traveled in my parents' van to the Traders Village pow-wow in Grand Prairie, TX. On our way there on I-45, this big tire came out from no where and hit our van head on. There was no time in trying to avoid it. I was asleep, so I didn't get to see anything, but I did feel the big BUMP. When I came to, all I saw was a big tire rolling off to the side down a hill. We stopped and assessed the damage. The whole front bumper came off and was lodged underneath the van. The whole front radiator was busted and leaking fluid, so we knew it was bad. We had to wait almost an hour for a state trooper to come out and write an accident report. Luckily, my other brother was several miles behind us in his truck and a local towing truck was in the area, so we transferred all of our stuff into his truck while they took the van away. My parents had to bring my sister's car and my husband came in our car to pick my parents up while they dropped off my sister's car for us to use. We were a bit shaken, but the weekend and the pow-wow turned out to be pretty nice despite our mishap. The tire missed hitting the front windshield by several inches. If it had hit our windshield, more damages could have been made and we could have been seriously hurt, so I thank the Creator for watching over us that day.

My parent's van turned out to be a total loss. Their van used to take them to pow-wows and bingo (*LOL*), so it was cherished very much. Their insurance is taking a bit longer to settle the claim, so they're having to use my (now my dad's) old beat-up 96 Ford Contour to get around, but they're not complaining. It still gets them to bingo. *LOL*
            Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

sleep depreavion is a problem for lots of ppl.
              i dont want to go again to the story but it does give a nother meaning to all night driving.and i dont want to go on another out of state trip for a long while
              Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM.
              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

4 hour drive one way, is about the farthest I want to travel to a Powwow
                I like camping there but even that is tiring, too much of the camp stays awake till late and the rest get up early!
                We have been lucky with our traveling and camping companions are really cool and share groceries and even pots and pans, These kind of folks are hard to find that is for sure!

In the past month went to 2 different powwows where we camped for the 3 days but both were 2-3 hours drive so it was not too bad

We are talking about a long drive to the North next Summer perhaps Crow Fair??

I do know one thing,
                I know I am getting old when it takes me 2 days after a 3 dayer to get back to normal and over my Powwow hangover!
                Last edited by Josiah; 10-10-2007, 01:59 PM.
                ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                Till I Die!

Comment

i too would rather check out of a hotel .. then break camp .. Im a "hand over the room cards" kinda girl haha. last time i camped my oldest was a baby .. she is gonna be 13 in 5 days lol.

but yeah there are all sorts of pow wow trail horror stories out there .. i have lived them all i think. ppl who say they have their money for their share of the room .. then when it comes to them paying .. nothing (waiting on the western union thang .. of course!!). and they use up all the towels to boot!!

and then theres the "i have no license so i cant drive" and they dont tell ya until you done drove their asses .. 8 hours already and its their turn to drive. errr!!!! or they end up making every gas stop a 1/2 hour - 45 minute stop .. everytime.

then there's the leaving a "tainted love" jacket in the backseat of your van ... when they hop out to jump into her cousin's ride. you dont even wanna know!!!
                  Watch your broken dreams...
                  Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by ac_miss View Post
                    Like LBW, I haven't been to many pow-wows this year.

Last month, my oldest brother, sister, niece, myself and my daughter Raegan traveled in my parents' van to the Traders Village pow-wow in Grand Prairie, TX. On our way there on I-45, this big tire came out from no where and hit our van head on. There was no time in trying to avoid it. I was asleep, so I didn't get to see anything, but I did feel the big BUMP. When I came to, all I saw was a big tire rolling off to the side down a hill. We stopped and assessed the damage. The whole front bumper came off and was lodged underneath the van. The whole front radiator was busted and leaking fluid, so we knew it was bad. We had to wait almost an hour for a state trooper to come out and write an accident report. Luckily, my other brother was several miles behind us in his truck and a local towing truck was in the area, so we transferred all of our stuff into his truck while they took the van away. My parents had to bring my sister's car and my husband came in our car to pick my parents up while they dropped off my sister's car for us to use. We were a bit shaken, but the weekend and the pow-wow turned out to be pretty nice despite our mishap. The tire missed hitting the front windshield by several inches. If it had hit our windshield, more damages could have been made and we could have been seriously hurt, so I thank the Creator for watching over us that day.

My parent's van turned out to be a total loss. Their van used to take them to pow-wows and bingo (*LOL*), so it was cherished very much. Their insurance is taking a bit longer to settle the claim, so they're having to use my (now my dad's) old beat-up 96 Ford Contour to get around, but they're not complaining. It still gets them to bingo. *LOL*
                    ac,

OHHHHH YES! There are many hazards of being on the road to powwows.

I have encountered sleep deprevation, rocks on the road, livestock, people changing tires without any lights, deer, elk and inebriated drivers in front of me.

It truly was not your time to be with the Creator when the tire only missed your windshield by inches.

2line,

It sounds as though you have had a bout with sleep deprevation too?

Josi,

I don't envy you camping in Oklahoma weather. I don't know how you do it when the weather hits 100 degrees. What do when it gets that hot?

Comment

ac,
                      Josi,

I don't envy you camping in Oklahoma weather. I don't know how you do it when the weather hits 100 degrees. What do when it gets that hot?
                      Make sure you take a portable fan if they have electricity. *LOL* That's how we used to do it while camping at Chieftain Park in Carnegie.
                      Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Make sure you take a portable fan if they have electricity. *LOL* That's how we used to do it while camping at Chieftain Park in Carnegie.

ac,

Do they work good in the portopotties?

Comment

I HEAR YA THERE GIRL HAD TO HAVE THE FANS AT CHIEFTAN...LOL
                          "finding your best friend in life and love is glorious"

Comment

ac,

OHHHHH YES! There are many hazards of being on the road to powwows.

I have encountered sleep deprevation, rocks on the road, livestock, people changing tires without any lights, deer, elk and inebriated drivers in front of me.

It truly was not your time to be with the Creator when the tire only missed your windshield by inches.

2line,

It sounds as though you have had a bout with sleep deprevation too?

Josi,

hello yes and no i drove the first 8 hr of a 26 hr road trip,i got the one and only ticket of the trip, but the conditions of the rest of the drivers on the back home trip was to say the lest sleepy,the young dancers wanted to sleep and had no fear in doing so,the driver was nodding off and one valent soul steped up to the set and drove even though there was no feeling in left hand or foot {humm} but at last someone woak up and brung us all home,in good rested shape
                            Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

Originally posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan View Post
                              hello yes and no i drove the first 8 hr of a 26 hr road trip,i got the one and only ticket of the trip, but the conditions of the rest of the drivers on the back home trip was to say the lest sleepy,the young dancers wanted to sleep and had no fear in doing so,the driver was nodding off and one valent soul steped up to the set and drove even though there was no feeling in left hand or foot {humm} but at last someone woak up and brung us all home,in good rested shape
                              OH this reminds me of a true story.

My buddy, his 15-year old son and I went on a trip to dance. On the way back my buddy and I were totally exhausted and we had 2 hours to go.

So he asked his son if he thought he could drive the rest of the way home. Enthusiastic, his son was eager to take the wheel.

So I crawled up on the passenger side, my buddy jumped in the back seat and off we went with his son driving.

After a while my buddy got up to check on his son. First he looked right and saw me bundled up and cozy, then he looked left and saw HIS SON bundled up and cozy. Then he looked forward and saw us heading in the mediun to the oncoming traffic!!!!!

*L

He grabbed the wheel and told his son to step on the break. We went spinning onto the other lane.

Thank goodness no one hit us when we finally came to an abrupt stop.

Whew!

It wasn't our day to meet the Creator either.

And to this day everytime I see his son I say, "do you remember that trip when your dad first let you drive?"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.