Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Drum Frame

Powwow People,

For those of you who have made powwow drums, what is the best (and most economical and sturdy) way to make the frame?

Thanks

SDS
    SouthernDrumSinger

Drum Frame

Originally posted by SouthernDrumSinger View Post
    Powwow People,

For those of you who have made powwow drums, what is the best (and most economical and sturdy) way to make the frame?

Thanks

SDS
    Siyo, I made my drum frame from western red cedar 1 x 4s bevelled together and glued, with 2 inner rims of maple plywood supported by 4 posts of doug fir. The rawhide handles suspend the drum from the 4 point holder and go through the internal posts instead of the side of the drum. The rims were 3/4 ply cut 2 inches wide; glue was Hipurformer hot melt glue. Thickness of the WRC was nominal 3/4. The width of the slats and the degree of bevel will vary depending on the circumference of the drum. I made mine 31 1/2 in diameter and 16 1/2 high, with buffalo rawhide heads and lace. Total cost for materials was about $400. Another way might be to buy a manufactured bass drum rim and put rawhide heads on, but i have seen that kind collapse from the rawhide pulling; mine is extremely strong. To hold the drum, I used 2 x 3 fir with uprights mortised in and the center mortised out where the arms cross for a flush fit and easy disassembly. The rawhide handles of the drum are held in cutouts on the top of the uprights made with a hole saw in a drill. I allowed for about 1 1/2 inches of clearance on all sides to allow the drum to move freely in the frame. Sty yu, Steve

Comment

Drum Frame?

Originally posted by SouthernDrumSinger View Post
      Powwow People,

Thanks

SDS
      My second try at answering, first try lost in cyberspace. Are you asking about the frame that holds the drum or the frame of the drum itself?

Comment

by getting a sheet of bend-able plyboard and 3/4 inch plyboard, and if you already have the tools, you can make two big drum frames for under $100.
        It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.