Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lansing, Michigan Powwow - Who Won?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lansing, Michigan Powwow - Who Won?

    Who won?

    How was the powwow?

    Any info - greatly appreciated.
    "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"


  • #2
    Thumbs down!

    WHACK!! That describes this pow-wow. Who knows who really won this weekend?? I was there and heard the initial list of winners BUT that was not the official list of winnners.
    Don't get me started on this one. I wrote a 7 paragraph blog about this one on my Myspace......lol If anybody knows the actual list of winners.......let me know too.

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow.

      Details! Details!
      "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

      Comment


      • #4
        The sound system was awfull and there were some discrepancies in a coulple of categories announcing names and they really didn't win. Kudos to Wesley Cleland head man judge who noticed discrepancies just by hearing the winners. Checked the tabulations and made it right with the winners who missed out hearing their name called ~ ges, that's half the fun of winning! Also, kudos to the MSU student association for trying, they work really hard to fund raise and to put on a good gathering ~ they are just so inexperienced and other than carrying a tribal id, a Michigan Indian tuition waiver and the smarts to get into MSU this is their first experience dealing with the powwow culture. So don't be too hard on them. They tried and there is a a lot more to putting on a gathering then the outcome of the winners.

        Golden Age Men
        ???

        Golden Age Women
        Debbie Klien
        Karen Pheasant
        Joanne Whitehouse

        Mens Trad
        Charlie Hindsley
        Will Hedgepath
        Edmond Nevaquaya

        This was a category with discrepancies they called up Mahengun Schwanda for 2nd and Charles Belise for 3rd (he didn't even dance Sunday). But, Wesley made it right with Will and Ed.

        Wmns Trad
        Monica Raphael
        Challis Issac
        Danielle Benton

        Mens Grass
        James Day
        Matt Pheasant
        Jesse Osawmick

        Wmns Jingle
        Gracie Pushatanaquat
        Jackie Bird ??? I think that was her name???
        Eli Montoya

        Mens Fancy
        Darrel Hill
        Nigel Skyler
        Jason Whitehouse

        Womens Fancy
        Josette Waskewitch???someone help me with the spelling.
        Shebabe Hodge
        Patti Bugg
        "Some of ya biggest haters are really ya biggest admirers. Their pride and fear won't allow them to tell ya the truth!" Litefoot

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Polly Powwow View Post
          Also, kudos to the MSU student association for trying, they work really hard to fund raise and to put on a good gathering ~ they are just so inexperienced and other than carrying a tribal id, a Michigan Indian tuition waiver and the smarts to get into MSU this is their first experience dealing with the powwow culture. So don't be too hard on them. They tried and there is a a lot more to putting on a gathering then the outcome of the winners.
          Actually more than a few NAISO members are dancers/drummers (including myself). It just happened that we weren't serving on powwow committee this year. But thank you for acknowledging our hard work. It is incredibly difficult to plan an event like this when you are a full time student and working with a very uncooperative university.
          "If dancing were any easier it would be called football."


          Anonymous

          Comment


          • #6
            You did a great job! There was a LOT going on w/ the basketball, hockey, etc. and the confusion of all that, but I enjoyed it a lot.

            Comment


            • #7
              Tabulations

              I think that the right thing for the pow-wow committee to do is re-tabulate the points and make it right with the people that should have won. Teen jingle also had a winner that didn't attend the pow-wow on Saturday...crazy!
              :49:

              Comment


              • #8
                Anyone else have the winners?
                "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

                Comment


                • #9
                  omg thats all i can say.
                  hopefully the committee takes into consideration everything that people are saying. i'd rather stay home then go to a powwow thats so disorganized not just with contest but the parking the RUDE people workin the powwow just the whole atmosphere wasnt a good one BUT i did enjoy seein my family that I dont always see. that was the most important part for me.
                  ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Zero Props!

                    It wasn't even about the outcome of the winners that made this pow-wow WHACK!!
                    It doesn't take an uncooperative university or being a full time college student to know anything about hospitality. There is no excuse for this! And don't tell me about how much work it takes to put on a pow-wow. Been there, done that, and continue to do so. On top of being a full time college student, mother, and wife. I don't buy the excuses. If this committee were NEW, which I know they ARE NOT, I would give them some props.
                    How much time does it take to bother to ASK your host drum to be the host? A phone call, a contract, some tobacco, anything would have been better than pasting a name on a flyer WITHOUT asking first. And then 2 parking passes for the WHOLE DRUM?? 4 ROOMS WITH 1 BED IN EACH ROOM? Luckily, they are nice guys and showed up anyway, with a FULL crew. Which would have made their drum split $83.00/piece. After gas and food....they would have paid YOU to be the host drum at YOUR pow-wow. That's the reason you ask FIRST. I can appreciate the fact, you did what you could to make this right BUT LEARN FROM THIS. It doesn't seem like you do because it gets WORSE every year. Not the pow-wow itself but the HOSPITALITY......there is none!
                    I could go on and on but I won't. I feel sorry for the dignitaries that put their name on the line for this one. Unfortunately, it DOES reflect their capabilities as dignitaries. I know there are some that will DEFINITELY NOT BE BACK, even if you ask them.
                    Take the lessons out of the criticism you hear and make it better next year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ndneyez View Post
                      It wasn't even about the outcome of the winners that made this pow-wow WHACK!!
                      It doesn't take an uncooperative university or being a full time college student to know anything about hospitality. There is no excuse for this! And don't tell me about how much work it takes to put on a pow-wow. Been there, done that, and continue to do so. On top of being a full time college student, mother, and wife. I don't buy the excuses. If this committee were NEW, which I know they ARE NOT, I would give them some props.
                      How much time does it take to bother to ASK your host drum to be the host? A phone call, a contract, some tobacco, anything would have been better than pasting a name on a flyer WITHOUT asking first. And then 2 parking passes for the WHOLE DRUM?? 4 ROOMS WITH 1 BED IN EACH ROOM? Luckily, they are nice guys and showed up anyway, with a FULL crew. Which would have made their drum split $83.00/piece. After gas and food....they would have paid YOU to be the host drum at YOUR pow-wow. That's the reason you ask FIRST. I can appreciate the fact, you did what you could to make this right BUT LEARN FROM THIS. It doesn't seem like you do because it gets WORSE every year. Not the pow-wow itself but the HOSPITALITY......there is none!
                      I could go on and on but I won't. I feel sorry for the dignitaries that put their name on the line for this one. Unfortunately, it DOES reflect their capabilities as dignitaries. I know there are some that will DEFINITELY NOT BE BACK, even if you ask them.
                      Take the lessons out of the criticism you hear and make it better next year.
                      I just want to put my two cents in. Firstly I had nothing to do with the powwow planning. I was there to sell t-shirts. Therefore I didn't know about the host drum issues. I can assure you, if I had, I would have personally taken care of the matter. From what I have heard of it, I can do nothing but apologize for that.

                      Secondly, as soon as we (NAISO not just powwow committee) had finished cleaning up, we sat down and started brainstorming ways to avoid these problems and others. Rest assured, we are taking these issues seriously. We ARE learning from what happened this year.

                      As for hospitality, personally, I tried my best to be gracious to everyone I saw. I tried to answer questions promptly (especially because I often didn't know the answer). The people standing in front of parking lots on Saturday were from the basketball games and hockey...not us. I'm in my second year at MSU, and I've paid over $200 in parking tickets (and I don't even drive to class); I despise MSU parking services more than I can express via typed words. It's unfortunate that everyone at the powwow had to deal with them. If the lack of hospitality came from NAISO members, well, I cannot speak for them.

                      This year 2 (that's half) of powwow committee were new. And we have had major issues with the university, such as our access to funds being frozen with the student government. They provide more than 50% of our budget; it was amazing we had any money. There have also been other issues that I don't want to discuss over the internet.

                      We are addressing the problems. We are listening to the complaints we've gotten. We are learning from this. By all means please email/call/write NAISO and tell us what you think.
                      "If dancing were any easier it would be called football."


                      Anonymous

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        afterparty?

                        did anyone else buy their tickets to the AWESOME afterparty? Man Gus's is like totally the best bar I've been to in a looong time ;P

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ok im pissed. i mean i had fun singing n dancing but overall the powwow sucked!! it was so whack, what happened??? yea talk about shady business!! who the hell was selling tickets for the so called "Afterparty"...u didnt even need to buy those tickets n dude was selling them 5 bucks each...whats up with that?? im pissed that he scamed me out of ten bucks (me n my man) and probably lots of other people....i think this powwow was messed so im not going again, count me in on the many people that arent attending this one again!!
                          *Tha One N' Only LeSLeY*

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Lesley Smoke View Post
                            Ok im pissed. i mean i had fun singing n dancing but overall the powwow sucked!! it was so whack, what happened??? yea talk about shady business!! who the hell was selling tickets for the so called "Afterparty"...u didnt even need to buy those tickets n dude was selling them 5 bucks each...whats up with that?? im pissed that he scamed me out of ten bucks (me n my man) and probably lots of other people....i think this powwow was messed so im not going again, count me in on the many people that arent attending this one again!!
                            I was like helllll naw lol imma take my gus ticket and trade it in for a new one at cmu LOL j/k supposedly the same folks are putting it on.
                            ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Whack!!!!

                              ok yeah have to agree with every1 this pow wow was all kinds of messed up....
                              there were people placing that wasnt even dancing and ish like that...

                              like in teeen jingle... there were 3 of us on saturday and then on sunday there was 5 of us... and i don't mean to be braggin over here but i know for a fact that i out danced tha other girls....

                              and when they called out the winners of teen jingle they called YESENIA HILL 3RD Place and i was like umm ok and then they called up the girl that supposedly got 2nd and she wasnt dancin on saterday...and to top it off her papers and her money were already signed for.....hahah yeah rite...

                              so i went up to the head lady judge and asked for they books..and i got 3rd place because they didn't put in my grand entry points....haha jus based it on contest....sooo in all reality with gran entry points i go 1st...hahahaha


                              and then to drum comp..

                              our cru was jammin out all weekend and then got tha z... i also asked to c tha books for that and we got 2nd...lost by 2 points...thats it...but they said we got consilation...

                              soooo this pow wow needs to do some big changes on the way they organize everything...it wasn't tha judges fault it was tha commitee's fault...

                              but all in all besides all that drama it was an ok pow wow it used to be better...

                              c u all at cmu pow wow or at u of m...

                              and les... it was good cn u dancin again...and girl we jamme out this weekend to...lululululululu

                              hakah..



                              -YESENIA HILL
                              www.myspace.com/southernx_hunnie2k5

                              ***NO MATTER HOW I TRY I CANT SEEM TO GET U OUTTA MY MIND BCUZ U ARE SO FINE AND I CARE FOR U I HOPE U CARE FOR ME TO NO DOUBT ABOUT IT I DONT WANNA BE A PLAYA NO MORE***

                              LULULULU

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X