Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber River-April 4-5, 2008 Pow Wow

Directions to Pow Wow

Turn on McGirt Road (located in front of Campbell Soup)
    1 mile to Chavis Farms

Gospel Sing, 7pm

April 4, 2008

7pm- Grand Entry

April 5, 2008

Boat Race- 10 am

Horse Race- 1 pm

Grand Entry- 2pm

Head Staff

MC: John W. Oxendine

Host Drum: Kau-ta-noh Jrs.

Head Male: Bostic Locklear

Head Female: Joann Lowry

Arena Director: John Chavis

Head Judge: Wendy Strickland

Contest Monies

Adults (18 +) : 350, 250, 150

Teens (12-17) : 100,75,50

Juniors (7-11) : 75, 50, 25

Tiny Tots (0-6): All winners!

Drum Competition
    (4 sitting/ combined)

350, 250, 150

Host Hotels

Hampton Inn, Laurinburg, NC
    115 Hampton Circle, Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA 28352
    Tel: +1-910-277-1516 Fax: +1-910-277-1514

Scotland Inn
    1500 S US Highway 15-401 Byp, Laurinburg, NC
    910-276-0632

Any Questions? Please Contact me via personal email or cell:

April Whittemore, 910-977-7796 / [email protected]
    Eye7 Consulting

I think we're gonna go to this one this year.
    Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Contest?

Is this a contest or traditional powwow? If I'm not mistaken it is being held the same weekend as the NC State powwow.
      "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

"She walks in beauty in two worlds." ~ Lumbee Proverb

Comment

See you in Maxton!
        Eye7 Consulting

Comment

Lumber River CONTEST Pow Wow, April 3-5, 2008, Maxton , NC

Lumber River Pow Wow and Festival

April 3, 2008

Gospel Sing, 7pm

April 4, 2008

7pm- Grand Entry

April 5, 2008

Boat Race- 10 am

Horse Race- 1 pm

Grand Entry- 2pm

Head Staff

Contest Monies

Drum Competition
          (4 sitting/ combined)

350, 250, 150

Host Hotels

Scotland Inn
          910-276-0632

Eye7 Consulting

Comment

Lumber River-April 4-5, 2008 Pow Wow

Lumber River Pow Wow 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions to Pow Wow

Turn on McGirt Road (located in front of Campbell Soup)
            1 mile to Chavis Farms

Gospel Sing, 7pm

April 4, 2008

7pm- Grand Entry

April 5, 2008

Boat Race- 10 am

Horse Race- 1 pm

Grand Entry- 2pm

Head Staff

Contest Monies

Drum Competition
            (4 sitting/ combined)

350, 250, 150

Host Hotels

Scotland Inn
            910-276-0632

Eye7 Consulting

Comment

Rain?

There are few questions about rain.

If it rains on friday we will cancel for the evening and begin on Saturday at 2pm-Grand Entry.

What if it rains Saturday?? We have a rain site that will be used.

Thanks! April
              Eye7 Consulting

Comment

Ready for it.

Comment

Beautiful

People it's beautiful out here. We have about 15 vendors set up so far.

The Gospel Sing was awesome last night!!

Travel safe! April
                  Eye7 Consulting

Comment

GOOT!!! GOOT!!! GOOT!!! I am sooooo ready for this, I could just sneeze!!!!!!! I can hardly wait for the opportunity to get to see some of my old buddies from the circuit!!! What aboot my weddin' ??? Well, the warden has decided since we are going to feature dancing and singin' specials at our knot tyin' event, that she would give me an entire year to raise the monies needed to fund the contests....man!!!! I LOVE THAT GAL!!!!! I mean, she's givin' me ah whole year!!!!! N E ways, yep, I'll be your MC for the weekend and I have a crap load of talking to do!!! And if anyone out there knows me, or has carried on a conversation with me, then you know that I'm comin' after ya!!!!!!!!!! Also, my boys are hosting, my fiance' is head judge, and Chavis is AD!!!! SAVE YOUR GAS MONEY AND COME POW WOW WITH US AT CHAVIS FARMS!!!!!! See you this evening!!!!!!!! Ooneh.

Comment

OOOOOOH yeah!!!!!!! I also wanted to let everyone know that I'm gonna' be rockin' my NEW hair do at the P-Dub...You know I'm lettin' my hair grow back out! So, I HAD to come correct with some CORN ROWS!!!!! Yall come check it out!!! This will be the first time for me at a Pow Wow w/the rows...so I'm kinda anxious!!! Also, to my goot lookin' cussin'(April)....On behalf of Kau Ta Noh Jrs. and my Fiance(Wendy)....THANKS FOR THE HOOKUP ON THE HEAD STAFF JOBS!!! And big, BIG ups to the Chavis Farms Pow Wow Committee!!!!!!

Comment

Thank YOU!!

I want to say Thank You to everyone that came out to support the Lumber River Pow Wow and Festival.

KTNjrs and Southern Eagle sounded amazing.

John W. Oxendine, Wendy Strickland, John Chavis, KTNJrs., Joann Lowry, and Bostic Locklear did a great job as head staff.

Due to the HEAVY rain we had to cancel saturdays activities, everything was pretty much flooded...including the rain site.

All registered dancers/drums will receive evening monies.All in all the Chavis family wanted to THANK everyone for coming out.

On to less enlightening information, the good ol' pow wow rumor mill. I hear folks say you can't get to Jesus without meeting with the Devil first. Unfortunately, it seems pow wows work the same way at times. Due to personal agendas and/or lack of hobbies and interests some folks seem to feed off of gossip. I am definitly one boring person, as I have other ways to fill my time. So quickly here we go:

1-No, this was not a wedding event,I am not a wedding planner.......(however I wish I was, I could use some assistance for my own wedding)
                        2-Our prize money was in the envelopes at 5pm on friday evening, I know...I was the one who counted it out. We weren't hurting for funds at all.

I'm not saying all of this to "save" next years pow wow, because the truth is there will not be one. I am saying this because it was pleasure to work with the Chavis Family and I dont want any false information to be spread about or around this event.
                        Again, I appreciate everyone that came out. Thank you!
                        Eye7 Consulting

Comment

Yea!!! It's me steppin' in again!!! I just wanted to take a minute to say THANKS!!! to April() for giving me and my crew a chance to head this pow wow up!!! I had an awesome time on Friday night, and seeing all of them babies out there dancing made me want to make a few more with my Honey(Wendy)!!!! Southern Eagle was kickin' some crz-e a## tunes that made me want to get out there and get on the "Good Foot"!!! Bostic and Joann were cho' an my baby was lookin' so-so FINE!!! Our AD did a great job tending to the arena so's that none of the dancers slipped or tripped on anything!!! Everything was just so cool...THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT CAME OUT!!! And for the pow wow rumor mill...I wonder, how many wannabee's does it take to turn that thing??? And to them folks that are turning it...don't you know that all you are doing is what you're supposed to do??? You're cooling April and My baby Wendy off, an' they need it badly...CUZ THEY ARE THE HOTTNESS!!!!! Luv you guys and thanks for all the support, both positive and negative!!! Keeps me goin'!!!!!! See yall at the next one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumbee Pride View Post
                            ...On to less enlightening information, the good ol' pow wow rumor mill. I hear folks say you can't get to Jesus without meeting with the Devil first. Unfortunately, it seems pow wows work the same way at times. Due to personal agendas and/or lack of hobbies and interests some folks seem to feed off of gossip. I am definitly one boring person, as I have other ways to fill my time. So quickly here we go:

1-No, this was not a wedding event,I am not a wedding planner.......(however I wish I was, I could use some assistance for my own wedding)
                            2-Our prize money was in the envelopes at 5pm on friday evening, I know...I was the one who counted it out. We weren't hurting for funds at all.

I'm not saying all of this to "save" next years pow wow, because the truth is there will not be one. I am saying this because it was pleasure to work with the Chavis Family and I dont want any false information to be spread about or around this event.
                            Again, I appreciate everyone that came out. Thank you!

Keep your head up Lumbee Pride. I know you ARE a good person with a good heart. I will always consider you my friend!

"Don't let the rumors get you down, 'cause come the next powwow, these same people will have something new to talk about!"

"WHOs your people?" *L

wHOmE
                            Last edited by WhoMe; 04-08-2008, 07:09 PM.
                            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

WhoMe..

" U ain't NEVER lied!!" LOL*
                              Eye7 Consulting

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X