Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PappyRoach
    replied
    Well the plan is to have it on turf by the forth of July powwow which is generally a BIT better than memorial day.

One thing is for sure. the current powwow committee need to go. If theses powwows hope to retain any chance of being as great as they once were the current folks need to go. They are just too far out of hand.
    Hope to see some of you in July. I may have to work but will be there in the evenings. If you can't find a camp spot, drop me a line.

Leave a comment:

• ndnMSW
    replied
    Weellll HOO-RAH to you or whatever it is you jarheads say to each other....lol. Man, you're tough! Hope you catch that ride to RE...we're sewing like mad tryin to get some stuff done for Joe B and the girls...lol. We're on track to finish though, just gotta get through the 4-year old birthday party on Saturday...lol.

Leave a comment:

• Ol'Girl
    replied
    Bum wheel kinda tender, but I've been baby'ing it ever since. I'll try to run this evening. Usually like to run first thing in the morning, but I'm scurred. LOL! Could try my elliptical or recumbant bike, but MARINES just can't take the easy way out! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• ndnMSW
    replied
    Congrats Ol' Girl! Sometimes age is a virtue...lol. Helps with some of those old songs....hahaha! Hows the wheel??

Leave a comment:

• Ol'Girl
    replied
    Womens Fancy
    1 Shibabe Hodge
    2 Kelly ? (local)
    3 Katy ?

Mens Fancy
    1 Gabe Bullock
    2 Eric Bird
    3 Josh Hill

Womens Trad
    1 Melissa Montoya - tie
    2 Misty Blue ? - tie
    3 ?

Womens Jingle
    1 Jackie Klein (also won jingle special)
    2 Illiana
    3 Maya

Eric Bird won trick song special for the men
    Yours truly won for the women...LMAO!

Sorry, don't know anybody else down there. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• ndnMSW
    replied
    So no one knows the winners?????

Leave a comment:

• eap7
    replied
    I'd also say that the biggest change suggested is...move it to the turf area! It seems like it should be there because it would be in the middle of the vendor circle. I know there are powwows on concrete or on rinks. Sometimes they put down area carpets (thanks NMAI National Powwow) to make it better. But it is a bad idea to have it on a concrete stage if you have a better area right in front of the stage. Yes, there's all those amphitheater seats for spectators, but it was never filled up. There weren't that many spectators to necessitate having it on stage. And if you lose dancers because of the location and still keep it there, that's just too bad.
    So...put chairs for spectators around the turf and have the powwow there!

Leave a comment:

• eap7
    replied
    Well I have to say that people's warnings about the concrete...were right. I met/saw some other powwows.commers who mentioned this thread too. Kind of funny. I flew home yesterday and was sore on the plane, and today my legs are still sore. Can't imagine how the "higher impact" dancers feel...wow! I've danced on concrete before but never went to a powwow on a stage. It was a pretty small powwow...on Fri. there were maybe 20, 25 dancers and about the same number of spectators. Very empty in a big ampitheatre. It got somewhat bigger, especially with spectators on Sat. and Sun. The tribe did try to be hospitable- gave out free water bottles, dinner on Sat., and had lots of specials. But in the end, the MC's constant remarks about "thanks for coming to Cherokee and spending your money here" kind of showed the powwow's priority and put me off. It was an expensive trip. It was also an unnecessarily long powwow for so few dancers. They didn't have any need for Friday. I think the MC felt bad that so few people showed up, because he kept saying "we're going to take it easy on our dancers today. Some of them just drove 18 hours. Some of them just got in an hour ago". There were just exhibitions on Fri., but then what was the point of dancing then? I don't think I'll be back to the powwow, although its a beautiful area and I'd love to come back and rent a cabin to relax sometime.
    Last edited by eap7; 05-27-2008, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CloudN9ne
    replied
    one question who all won?

Leave a comment:

• Okwataga
    replied
    so who all came?
    did you have fun?
    what would you have done different?
    will you come back for the 4th of july?

Leave a comment:

• timmy tiger
    replied
    Hi Okwataga.

If everything works out on the 13th, I will be in Cherokee, should be for sure, for the pow wow on the 4th. YAHHHOOOOOOO and hopefully it will be on the ground and not on the stage. That's so much easier on the dancers.

Leave a comment:

• Okwataga
    replied
    Our family is supposed to hold the men's fancy dance special for the 4th, hope we can move them down to the ground instead of hte concrete stage????

heard there were very few teen dancers.....

Leave a comment:

• kontest kritik
    replied
    walmart iz p.o'd haha!! i just checked it out too, and with about 40-50 dancers grand entry took about 10 mins. ha! if i had an outfit i could easily get in somewhere.at least most of the dancers will place haha! i relly dont see what the fuss about the concrete is, hollywood- concrete/ red earth- concrete/tampa-concrete/uh lets see thats just a few of many that are on concrete. it is rough on the body though ,but it is on any surface if u dance hard. hopefully the "committee" gets a reality check and works to improve this once decent powwow. anyway the drums are: stony creek, kotano jrs.sp?, birdtown crossing,gabe bullock gots a pick-up crew, soldier creek s.-host, awohali-n.-host . i think that was it, they all sound smooth though, so if anybody, no, please anybody come on to cherokee and b gelling haha if u do! at least the drums are good. oh yeah registration closes at noon tomorrow! im thinking about heading to lawrenceville ,ga. i know, im going to see if they will take the powow there too!! haha!! combined it would then b apowow not show. haha or i could recruit all the street dancers here, that might give the powow 60 dancers then.

Leave a comment:

• timmy tiger
    replied
    Walmart--didn't they cancel the pow wow several years ago for a year or two and then decided to bring it back. I was there several years ago and then I didn't make it the next year and I was told by someone that I know there that they didn't have it that year. I saw what you are talking about last year at the July pow wow. But I still like to watch those who at least try to do it--that's rough I do know that.

Leave a comment:

• walmart ndn
    replied
    Well its official people. This powwow has been completely run into the ground. What used to be a purty good lil powwow has turned into nothing more than a show for the tourists. It MAY get better tomorrow but i seriously doubt it. This has always been a 2 day powwow & the powers that be made it 3 days just to make money, which judging by the crowd tonite i dont think they did. And im glad.

Personally i think it has been done on purpose over the last few years so they can have an excuse to get rid of it. But thats just me. The dancin on the concrete stage has got to go.

Anyone ever see the dancin chicken at the local fair or carnival?...LOL!!!

If anyone would like to complain, PLEASE call or email the following people :

George Lambert...(828)[email protected]
    Loretta Kirby.......(828)[email protected]
    Mary Ferguson....(828)[email protected]

They would love to hear your complaints, ideas & thoughts...LOL!!!

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.