Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sounds of Thunder Powwow, Weatherford, Tx.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds of Thunder Powwow, Weatherford, Tx.

spoke to the contact person/number that was posted on website to verify some info and the gentleman that answered the number stated that unfortunately the powwow has been cancelled as of yesterday due to the Chief of Police pulling the rug out from under them? so i said i would pass the word on that its cancelled. Contact # is once again posted on the website if no one believes me.

Wow, I saw that it was moved from Weatherford to Willow Park. Now it's been cancelled? Awww...it sure looked like it would've been a good one.
    Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Well that's very depressing.
      "As through this world I've wandered, I've met lots of funny men. Some will rob you with a six-gun, and some with a fountain pen." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

darn.........we were lookin forward to a fun weekend n dallas!!! anything else going on???

Comment

i've heard rumors of financial difficulties....
          sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
          [email protected]

Comment

As of about 7pm CDT, the website had a big banner across it the says "Cancelled Due to Discriminatory Factor." Wow.

http://www.soundsofthunder.us/

Comment

WOW!!! We were really looking forward to this one. Seems like this committee has had some really bad time getting this pow wow to happen. It seemed like they were doing a really good job. Just can't help but wonder what happened. Guess we'll hear something eventually.
              But man, if it because they were discriminated against then I'm sure it will be a pretty big deal.
              Just have to wait and see what the coming days bring.

Comment

I have contacted them to see what happened. If anyone knows for sure, post it. The fact that the word discriminatory is used makes me feel a letter to the editor (Fort Worth Star-Telegram) comin' on.
                "As through this world I've wandered, I've met lots of funny men. Some will rob you with a six-gun, and some with a fountain pen." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

From someone who knows:

Sounds Of Thunder has been postponed not cancelled.
                  And, no it was not due to financial situations.
                  Look for us in the Spring of 09, and not in Parker County.
                  We pray that the people continue to want to be apart of the Sounds Of Thunder Pow Wow.
                  We as a people have not given up, and we look forward to seeing every each and every one of you in the Spring 2009!

Comment

Sounds of Thunder POSTPONED

Hello everyone.
                    I want to take this opportunity to let you know a little about what is going on and stop any misinformation or rumors.
                    I am a Board Member and the Administrator for the Sounds of Thunder Scholarship Foundation. It is true that we have postponed this event due to some racial discrimination from the Chief of Police of Willow Park Texas. This past Tuesday afternoon I endured nearly an hour of continual racial profiling of our people and misguided information. My favorite of these was, "these people travel on the powwow trail and it is nothing but a traveling crime spree." I won't say anything more on the content of the rest of the meeting as I have already filed a complaint with the ACLU and have contacted a very well know Native Attorney here in the Fort Worth area. We are pursuing all legal remedies available to us. Our concern now is to make good on our vendors return of their fees.
                    We appreciate everyone's concern and we were looking forward to seeing our friends, old and new. We hope that when we have a new location....far from Parker County, you will join us and celebrate our victory! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will answer them as quickly as I can. Thank you for your support and we will win!

Comment

Thanks for posting, Wolf

I hope you won't totally rule Parker County out of the picture. Most of the people in Parker County were looking forward to this.........and believe me there were plenty of of Parker County Indians that were really excited to FINALLY have a pow wow in our area........and very sad and upset not to be able to go to the pow wow next weekend.
                      Who can we write or call or complain to???
                      Let me know and I'll write and pass it on to others and see if we can't get some action.
                      We're REALLY disappointed!!
                      Don't hate Parker County just because you got screwed by some jerks.

Keep us updated on the new plans.

Comment

Sounds of Thunder

Originally posted by NancyJo View Post
                        Thanks for posting, Wolf

I hope you won't totally rule Parker County out of the picture. Most of the people in Parker County were looking forward to this.........and believe me there were plenty of of Parker County Indians that were really excited to FINALLY have a pow wow in our area........and very sad and upset not to be able to go to the pow wow next weekend.
                        Who can we write or call or complain to???
                        Let me know and I'll write and pass it on to others and see if we can't get some action.
                        We're REALLY disappointed!!
                        Don't hate Parker County just because you got screwed by some jerks.

Keep us updated on the new plans.
                        You have to understand, we are NOT upset with the people of Parker County, we hurt for them as well as ourselves. It is some of entities we have dealt with trying to put this event on. We have tried to GIVE to this community and the powers that be become greedy and put us out of business. The last straw was the bigotry I sat through at my last meeting with the Willow Park Police Chief. He had threatened last week to shut us down and he succeeded. I cannot go into specifics here because I have filed a complaint with the ACLU and have contacted an excellent Native attorney here on our behalf.
                        We are working with one of our sponsors on the new location for Spring. We hope you will all come for this event in the spring. I believe it will be bigger and better than we had expected. If you have questions please post or email me at [email protected]

Comment

Sad situation. I'm glad we can look forward to Spring. I just hope it stays close to Fort Worth....and NOT Dallas. Like NancyJo, I would like to write my share of letters, and even without the details (which I understand can't be made public if there is litigation pending), I may still do so.

Comment

Wow, well, keep us posted.
                            Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

You bet, we'll still come to the powwow, I will always support Sounds of Thunder!!!
                              You guys/gals on the committee have done an excellant job on this pow wow!!
                              I was so impressed with how you started you advertising so early.......it gave people plenty of time to prepare to be there.
                              I'm sure you're being hit with a lot of stuff right now, but please hang in there and know that we are still behind you!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X