Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDNQt
    replied
    justventing - I know Barry wasn't letting everyone go in the back because yes, they weren't paying. And I know that for a fact. Also, last year there were problems in the back because of people's actions from the night before. But that really isn't why I am responding. I am responding to the winners comment and the dropping stuff. The winners are picked by the judges. There were a variety of judges and it is up to their discretion on who they pick. I know that because I am the tabulator. We may not agree with who is picked but there is nothing to be done about that.

And as for the dancer. Evidently that dancer dropped his item (I can't even remember what it was) and picked it up within an instant. So unless you were looking at that dancer you wouldn't have known it. I am not really defending the AD, because I don't know him and don't know what he knows. That was my first time meeting him. I had seen him before but still don't "know" him.

Everybody else has remarked about what a good time they had, so I don't know why you didn't. I just hope you will quit badmouthing the Richmond powwow because you are just discouraging others. Why not let them make up their own minds?

Leave a comment:

• justventing
    started a topic Calling for a boycott

Calling for a boycott

My life is powwowing. On occasion I participate in powwows in the Lumbee/Haliwa area. Upon arrival to the Richmond, VA powwow they are only letting select people to the back. When I asked Barry he stated dancers were bringing their whole familys and not paying. They were so worried non participants were not going to pay, even tracked down a family member to see their bracelette. Maybe they should place a attendant at the back door so dancers could park and dress away from the general public.

The Arena Director had no idea what he was doing. I have to give a shout out to Kieth Colston, he did a great job in serving as the MC and arena director. There were several times the headlady or represtentative wasn't the in the arena to lead off the dances and the AD wasn't there to police anyone up.You can drop your stuff durring contest, pick it up and not disqualify yourself cause the AD isn't gonna do anything.

Dancers don't have to stop on time to place. Heck, you don't even have to dance on beat to win. I'm not saying that the Lumbee's and Haliwa's arent good dancers but I find it interesting that they place over world class dancers. Must have been a full moon.

I have finally decided to boycott these powwows. To any one that was thinking of going to this powwow i encourage you to go catch a movie. A B silly flick would be better than this powwow.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.