X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strugganona
    replied
    the 3 second rule? niiicccee....
    I think some things you cant do much about. Like if a bell falls off the strap-it happens.....but if the whole strap falls off, than walk off...
    But if no one but you and some spectators see it, then all you can do is hope they'd do the right thing.
    Money makes folks do crazy things. That's too bad. I like dancing and I like when most of the people present are there to dance, too. Makes the vibe of the pow wow where you want to dance harder.

Leave a comment:

• WocusWoman
    replied
    I think people who attend competition dances and participate in the competition part, should not expect anything. You should just dance your best and have fun to boot. As for dropping things, that's a no-no in my book. Its not like the 3 second rule for dropping an oreo in the kitchen floor:)

Leave a comment:

• hobbs49
    replied
    he picked it up within an instant...

Originally posted by NDNQt View Post
    [...snip...]And as for the dancer. Evidently that dancer dropped his item (I can't even remember what it was) and picked it up within an instant. So unless you were looking at that dancer you wouldn't have known it. [...snip...]
    I always thought that if an item drops, hits the floor, is thrown down, rolls across the floor, comes undone, wiggles free, whatever, that the dancer should DQ him/her self. Which judge is in charge of deciding if it was picked up in an instant or after the 3-second rule expired? I think that the judges are there to somehow score the person's ability to dance well compared to others. The dancers should have enough dignity to walk off with their heads high if they drop and they know they've dropped.

But then again, there are a lot of folks out there who live and eat thanks to the contest so I'm sure that a self DQ can be difficult thing to do.

How do others feel about this?

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    I used to have fun at the Richmond powwow...especially at the Holiday Inn!!!

Leave a comment:

• Strugganona
    replied
    I wish I had gone juss so I know what this is about.
    but I agree...you never know...and sometimes local dancers never get a "fair" chance-except @ their local pow wow. Which-Im not saying is what happened here. Juss saying is all

Leave a comment:

• kiyaanii mom
    replied
    Originally posted by buckskin pantyhose View Post
    Sounds like a lot of the same issues that you hear about at other powwows....big time dancers not placing over locals, it happens a lot. Regardless of how well known the dancers are, things are different at local powwows. Thats why you should dance your booty off everywhere you go!

I've been to this powwow several times as well as the Lumbee & Hollister powwows and have always enjoyed dancing at all of them. Over the years i've been fortunate to have made some really good friends from Lumbee & Haliwa areas.

I admit, regardless of who shows up, you never know who's gonna win!

Leave a comment:

• buckskin pantyhose
    replied
    Sounds like a lot of the same issues that you hear about at other powwows....big time dancers not placing over locals, it happens a lot. Regardless of how well known the dancers are, things are different at local powwows. Thats why you should dance your booty off everywhere you go!

I've been to this powwow several times as well as the Lumbee & Hollister powwows and have always enjoyed dancing at all of them. Over the years i've been fortunate to have made some really good friends from Lumbee & Haliwa areas.

I admit, regardless of who shows up, you never know who's gonna win!

Leave a comment:

• kiyaanii mom
    replied
    Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno View Post
    Order of the Arrow?
    All Eagles....

Leave a comment:

• xTekno
    replied
    Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
    Maybe they already have toooooo many of those.... <JKS>
    Order of the Arrow?

Leave a comment:

• kiyaanii mom
    replied
    Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno View Post
    At first, I thought it said "Calling for a boy scout"!!
    Maybe they already have toooooo many of those.... <jks>

Leave a comment:

• Luzenza
    replied
    I didn't even go, the weather was getting rough down south. Didn't feel like dodging a tornado on 64if it came to that. I think they had the same issues when they had that Jamestown Indian thing in Hampton at that funny shaped coliseum back in the summer of 2007. still enjoyed the powwow though.

Leave a comment:

• xTekno
    replied
    At first, I thought it said "Calling for a boy scout"!!

Leave a comment:

• ac_miss
    replied
    It takes one person or one action to ruin things, but I wouldn't boycott the pow wow altogether just for a previous AD's mistakes. I'm sure the committee has learned from this experience and will choose another person the next year.

BTW...I've never been to the area either and I don't know who you're talking about.

Leave a comment:

• xTekno
    replied
    K-mom, it sounds like we all need to take a trip up there and straighten some stuff out, eh?

Leave a comment:

• kiyaanii mom
    replied
    Sounds like the things you are complaining about are mostly things the AD takes care of.... Therefore, I would probably not attend a pw that had this person's name as AD. (I don't know who it was. I wasn't at this pw.)

I don't think it is bad to let other people know what you didn't like about a pw. Hopefully the committee will hear what you said and decide if it has merit or not. That is the same for me. Maybe they will decide to get a better AD...

Actually my hubby has been to a pw in Richmond. And he enjoyed it. So we probably return if we ever get a chance.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.