Clown dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clown dancing

I have seen some good clown (real and dressed up *L) at powwows across the land. They bring a good spirit to the powwows where they apprear.

Pow Wow TV - Clown Dance Adults Song 4..Red Lake 4th of July 2008

Has the switch dance replaced clown dancing?

Is clown dancing and switch dancing the same thing?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

no they are different..........some cultures have a form of clown dancing integrated into their identity.....switch dance would be a new form of idiocy......
    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Yeah, I agree they are different....
      But it seems that switch is replacing the clowns....
      Too bad you don't see more of the old clowns....

Comment

Hey Whome, do you have any pics of old time clown dancers?
        sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
        [email protected]

Comment

Aw, Gee! Clowns are distinctively that...!

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
          Yeah, I agree they are different....
          But it seems that switch is replacing the clowns....
          Too bad you don't see more of the old clowns....
          Clowns have no limitatations, non serious and show up whenever they want too....Aye!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
            Hey Whome, do you have any pics of old time clown dancers?

ndns,

No I don't. I wished I did. I knew "Great Lightning" who was Crazy Horse Bison's dad, from Standing Rock. But I also met one who was Cheyenne-Arapaho and went by "Chief Little Bit."
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
              ndns,

No I don't. I wished I did. I knew "Great Lightning" who was Crazy Horse Bison's dad, from Standing Rock. But I also met one who was Cheyenne-Arapaho and went by "Chief Little Bit."
              I remember seeing clown dancers as a kid, but I have no idea who they were....
              sigpic

[email protected]

Comment

me too. There was that one guy at Stroud PW every year. He was a goot one!
                The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Well i Hope that switch dancing hasn't replaced Clown dancing... because they are 2 separate things....
                  My take switch dancing was that you tried to dance the best in the category you switched into... not be the craziest.. but that seems to be what it's evolved into now. When we had "womens grass" we borrowed an outfit and did our best to show we could grass dance... and when we watched "mens fancy shawl" we saw some of our favorite male dancers using some of our favorite womens shawls (outfits) and could kick it out wicked! it was always fun to see the guys using "signature moves"!

Clown dancers that i remember seeing when i was growing up... Used humor to teach lessons. THey appeared anywhere anytime.. from grand entry until grand exit. Now we have special contests. Especially at New years and Halloween. (These are always entertaining and fun to go 2)

Maybe i'm a lil ol' school... But clown dancing and switch dancing are different.. and should be kept different

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol

Comment

Red Lake

Clown Dance contest tomorrow night at red lake.....
                    sigpic

[email protected]

Comment

Clown Dance contest tomorrow night at red lake.....
                      Are you going to be there? I really wish I could go and use my brand new camcorder, that santa brought me.....
                      OPPS EXCUSE ME, AM TRYNA RECORD

Comment

Originally posted by LisaMOOSE07 View Post
                        Are you going to be there? I really wish I could go and use my brand new camcorder, that santa brought me.....
                        the plan is to be there on new years day.... new years eve will be at mahnomen. where you gonna be?
                        sigpic

[email protected]

Comment

the plan is to be there on new years day.... new years eve will be at mahnomen. where you gonna be?
                          I will be at home on New Years Eve with the hubby and boys, watching movie, ordering Pizza and cooking treats. Then on New Years Day taking the kids to the Water Park in Thief River, I made the plans with the kids a while back, before I knew the plans in Red Lake...
                          So that was a bummer to see and I can't break their hearts and cancel that plan.

Have you heard anymore on Brandon or where can I get more info?

Thanks my friend, and hope to see you down the trail soon.
                          OPPS EXCUSE ME, AM TRYNA RECORD

Comment

last year at the blackeagle pw in bernaillio there was a very good clown dancer. i was thrilled he(it) made the rounds during the intertribals but it seemed like he was gettin some weird looks. im not totally sure everyone knew what they were lookin at haha or dealing with. was very nice anyways and totally lookin forward to see the clown come back.
                            thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

does anybody remember bouncing betty? heres a link to a clown twostep. this footage was filmed somewhere in oklahoma.
                              YouTube - 97th annual clown contest

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X