Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giveaways: Is Lightly Used OK?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Giveaways: Is Lightly Used OK?

    Hey Ya'll:

    I was thinking things over recently and wanted to pose a question to you all.

    I'm engaged (finally) and was given the right to dance again. As such I am planning a big giveaway (date and time to be announced).

    Would you be offended if you received a clean and in good condition, but used Pendelton blanket?

    I have a giveaway coming up the Summer after next. I am already buying and putting up things to give away.

    I want to do things the correct way, but do not have a lot of cash. I am saving every penny I can get my hands on for the giveaway. This being said, these blankets are also expensive and hard to obtain, as we well know.

    Given the economy and other hardships, is it completely out of the question to use such an item as a giveaway gift?

    Thanks for your insight. I have not hosted a giveaway in sometime and appreciate any feedback. Emily Post does not cover this in her books, ayyyyyyyy!
    Last edited by tsuj510; 01-23-2009, 10:37 PM. Reason: fif
    Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

  • #2
    Originally posted by tsuj510 View Post
    Hey Ya'll:

    I was thinking things over recently and wanted to pose a question to you all.

    I'm engaged (finally) and was given the right to Gourd Dance recently. As such I am planning a big giveaway (date and time to be announced).

    Would you be offended if you received a clean and in good condition, but used Pendelton blanket?

    I have a giveaway coming up the Summer after next. I am already buying and putting up things to give away.

    I want to do things the correct way, but do not have a lot of cash. I am saving every penny I can get my hands on for the giveaway. This being said, these blankets are also expensive and hard to obtain, as we well know.

    Given the economy and other hardships, is it completely out of the question to use such an item as a giveaway gift?

    Thanks for your insight. I have not hosted a giveaway in sometime and appreciate any feedback. Emily Post does not cover this in her books, ayyyyyyyy!
    You know Giveaways have come a long long way from what some would say there origins.
    I have seen stacks of Pendletons pulled fresh from the box and given away and I have seen Pendletons given away
    that were probably used at some point
    Afterall a gift is not just the material item but the thought behind it.
    I would not apologize nor would I feel bad about giving away Pendleton no matter how old it was

    Of course I would dryclean the blanket first and make sure it was not some ratty faded blanket
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

    Comment


    • #3
      I believe it's the giving , not the dollar value of the gift. We try to do the best we can.
      I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !


      They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

      There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

      Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
      It's not me....I think you're an idiot !


      sigpic


      There's a chance you might not like me ,

      but there's a bigger

      chance I won't care

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, I don't know what the protocols for the different giveaways are, but there are some very nice native design wool and wool/blend blankets that cost much less than Pendletons. Even the fleece blankets with native designs are cool to receive in a giveaway.

        Gently used, but dry-cleaned Pendletons (do you know know how much it is to dry clean a Pendleton!?!?!) would be okay for a general giveaway gift like to all visitors, probably, but if you're giving to specific people, I think something new is much nicer. Pendleton mugs are a cool gift and then run about $15. There are smaller Pendletons too. We have one on our wall that's between a crib and twin size and is the thinner Pendleton material. Saddle blanket size I think, when doubled.

        Or buy a single big Pendleton and make vests or jackets. Or wallets. Or purses. Or duffle bags. Or pillows. My daughter paid big bucks for a lamp that has maybe a square foot of Pendleton material on it.
        ...it is what it is...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
          Yeah, I don't know what the protocols for the different giveaways are, but there are some very nice native design wool and wool/blend blankets that cost much less than Pendletons. Even the fleece blankets with native designs are cool to receive in a giveaway.

          Gently used, but dry-cleaned Pendletons (do you know know how much it is to dry clean a Pendleton!?!?!) would be okay for a general giveaway gift like to all visitors, probably, but if you're giving to specific people, I think something new is much nicer. Pendleton mugs are a cool gift and then run about $15. There are smaller Pendletons too. We have one on our wall that's between a crib and twin size and is the thinner Pendleton material. Saddle blanket size I think, when doubled.
          Or buy a single big Pendleton and make vests or jackets. Or wallets. Or purses. Or duffle bags. Or pillows. My daughter paid big bucks for a lamp that has maybe a square foot of Pendleton material on it.
          Dang
          You need to send em here to OKC then!
          There is a drycleaner that also does NDN clothes and they dont charge an arm and a leg
          Better yet they do bail bonds too!
          LOL


          I have recieved all kind of blankets not just Pendletons
          And different sizes too
          So its all in the thought and who your giving away to that I feel is the most important
          I like to personlize the gift as much as possible to the person that I am giving to

          There was a thread a while back that listed all kind of Giveaway ideas and as varied as the Stars
          I think I will have to dig it out again and link it here
          Last edited by Josiah; 01-23-2009, 11:01 PM.
          ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
          Till I Die!

          Comment


          • #6
            Only for me..In my eyes, a gift is a gift. It is something from and of the heart. What could ever be better?
            Living in my mansion....in the trailer park.
            mmmm Salsa!!!!!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Out-The Box Ideas

              Originally posted by Josiah View Post
              Dang
              You need to send em here to OKC then!
              There is a drycleaner that also does NDN clothes and they dont charge an arm and a leg
              Better yet they do bail bonds too!
              LOL


              I have recieved all kind of blankets not just Pendletons
              And different sizes too
              So its all in the thought and who your giving away to that I feel is the most important
              I like to personlize the gift as much as possible to the person that I am giving to

              There was a thread a while back that listed all kind of Giveaway ideas and as varied as the Stars
              I think I will have to dig it out again and link it here
              Man, we need someone like that out here. For the dry cleaning and the bail bonds. That some kind of business combo.

              I bet you money he's a notary public, too....

              It's real expensive to dry clean. But I'm pretty on it with the quality and cleanliness factor. And trying to avoid that old blanket smell. You know the one. Clean, just old.

              Febrezee works.

              To clarify, we are saving up other types of blankets, and will have other items as well.

              I should start a new thread about "outside-the-box" giveaway items...

              Thanks for the idea about the other Pendelton items, wyo-rose-we're saving those up as well. She is planning to make pillows and little pouches out of remnants.

              If anybody can make it to California in 2010, lemme know! LOL

              Thanks.
              Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think your blanket would be a good gift, and the idea of making it into several gifts is good. We mde wallets for my eldest daughters give away.

                I am sure everyone has different ways but my mom in law says giveaway gifts must come from your home which means it is eaither hand made or hand me down (or a bit a both). Some of our best gifts we have ever recieved were used. Except the pack of socks. I also love a pack of socks. And although socks can be hand made, they are not so great when used.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tsuj510 View Post
                  Man, we need someone like that out here. For the dry cleaning and the bail bonds. That some kind of business combo.

                  I bet you money he's a notary public, too....

                  It's real expensive to dry clean. But I'm pretty on it with the quality and cleanliness factor. And trying to avoid that old blanket smell. You know the one. Clean, just old.

                  Febrezee works.

                  To clarify, we are saving up other types of blankets, and will have other items as well.

                  I should start a new thread about "outside-the-box" giveaway items...

                  Thanks for the idea about the other Pendelton items, wyo-rose-we're saving those up as well. She is planning to make pillows and little pouches out of remnants.

                  If anybody can make it to California in 2010, lemme know! LOL

                  Thanks.
                  Well drycleaning is also practical too
                  The chemicals in the process help to keep the moths away from the Pendletons
                  So its an investment too
                  ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                  Till I Die!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was always told that your give-away gifts should be something from your home or homemade also. The gift should be from your heart and within your means.

                    Last year at a pow-wow we head danced we gave out smudge bundles of sage, cedar, sweet grass and tabacco, and a feather wrapped in red cloth and I beaded the hemp that we used to tie the bundles up with. We gave one to each of the dancers that danced with us on that very hot weekend...

                    I was at a pow-wow last summer that a dear friend of ours toddler entered the circle for the first time and they gave away tabacco braids that they had made. I thought that was a very good gift seeing that this young couple is very strapped for cash.

                    Someone recently told me that giving household items was a great give away gift, ie: small baskets that you make up with food, or candles and so on. I think that a small basket of homemade goodies would be a good gift. The ideas there are limitless. One of my best buds makes up baskets every year at Christmas filled with homemade jared gifts that she makes all year long to all of us. She makes up jars wtih soup starters, cookie mixes, spiced teas, hot cocoa and stuff like that. I called and asked her she said that the most expensive thing is the jars that she gets. She shops for her baskets at yard sales and thrift shops, gets the items for the mixes in bulk. She buys the mason jars where ever she can find them, yard sales and on sale.

                    This put me to thinkingthat you could even take a nice laundry basket and fill it things that you need to start house keeping with and when the time for your give away comes give it to someone that is about to be married or move into a new home....
                    Last edited by steelemagnolia63; 01-24-2009, 09:37 AM.
                    Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

                    Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

                    I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A long time ago, used things used to be given away. Horses and rifles that were used were always honorable gifts.

                      Today, things have truly evolved. I have seen individual shawls that have been given away over and over and over and....

                      People talk about that.

                      If the pendleton is in good condition, clean, slightly used and still has the tag on, it is fair game.

                      Just don't give away any slightly used toothbrushes *L
                      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Do the best you can

                        If the blanket is in good used condition then it should be fine. Just make sure it's clean. I know things are expensive. Every cent we spend must be thought out very carefully!
                        My suggestion is do the BEST you can. The best and most beautiful gifts must be felt with the heart. If you gave me a pedelton blanket I'd be very happy. Used or new. It's the thought and the heart behind the giving.
                        2011-2012 Powwow.com Princess !

                        "We Walk in Two Worlds"


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post

                          I was at a pow-wow last summer that a dear friend of ours toddler entered the circle for the first time and they gave away tabacco braids that they had made. I thought that was a very good gift seeing that this young couple is very strapped for cash.
                          likewise we will be bringing our baby in with his regalia this year and we are giving tobacco, sweetgrass and strawberries. I will make a scrap quilt to put it on which will go to one of the grandmothers. Up here only the grandmothers get the blankets.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            do what ever you feal is best, I know like to see gifts that had some heart and thought put into them, I wish you the best of luck in your new life and a wonderfull giveaway.
                            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              pendleton

                              my most prized pendleton is old and tattered. I keep it on the foot of my bed.
                              For my 50th birthday i did a give away, i asked for no birthday present but for everyone to bring 1 wrapped handmade gift, and it had to be Handmade! When they came they put the gift in the circle and pick a number. At the end of the party we all sat around the gifts, I called #1 the person picked a gift and opened it then i called #2 the person with the # 2 could pick the opened gift or opened a gift. It when like that until the last gift was opened. It was so much fun that I have people 2 years later wanting me to do this party again! What family and friends brought for gifts were awsome and everyone left with a gift!
                              Sherry

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • rainwoman
                                stopping suicide
                                by rainwoman
                                I am really mad this week. A young man in our community killed himself and if competent treatment that did not pre-judge a person's actions but instead treated everyone with respect was in place I have to wonder if the outcome would have been different. The Native treatment program has all kinds of...
                                09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
                              • Siobhanni
                                Etsy..Head Dresses
                                by Siobhanni
                                Omg I am both Shocked and to be honest feeling Sickened aswell and
                                Angry..Because, I was looking for Handmade Custom Head Dresses/Head Bands for my Neices Wedding In June, as she is getting married in Greece, high up in a beautiful mountain,and I am Chief Bridesmaid and Lead Dancer ..Yep...I...
                                04-03-2014, 10:05 AM
                              • Mezzobean
                                Waterbird question
                                by Mezzobean
                                Is it ok to use a waterbird design on a medicine bag when neither the beader or the person the bag is for are NAC members? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I don't want to disrespect anyone.

                                The bag design and waterbird graph are in the book 'Creative Native American Beading'...
                                12-09-2005, 04:18 PM
                              • home again az
                                Native spirituality--Seeking truth, seeking guidance
                                by home again az
                                Greetings, all.

                                I am an American with no Native ancestry. And yet, since I was a teenager (for 9 or 10 years now), since I first was exposed to Native American beliefs, I have felt strongly drawn to them. My experience and knowledge up until now comes primarily from sources within circles...
                                04-10-2011, 07:02 AM
                              • NDNQt
                                Bridal Shower & Wedding Gifts
                                by NDNQt
                                I know I am from the country but I didn't know when people go to a bridal shower and then the wedding they give gifts at both. In the community I come from you don't do that. Are we backwards or do you know of other places like us???
                                10-13-2005, 11:00 AM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X