Cheyenne Frontier Days Pow Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheyenne Frontier Days Pow Wow

Hi All!! Long time no post from the OP...lots going on this year and we may actually slow down for a little bit. That said we are looking ahead to the summer months and some family vacation time. Right now we are looking at a road trip to Wyoming. We were thinking about going to the Cheyenne Frontier Days Pow Wow and wanted to see what others thought of this dance - it is held on a Wednesday evening. Just looking for some reliable information regarding the area and the dance if others could share. ALso, we hope to start lurking and posting again soon - we have been on dial up since our move this summer plus the new baby = very little time to hang out with other ndns on powwows.com!! Hope everyone has a Terrific Tuesday!!
    OrangePridendnds1
    "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
    Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
    ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
    Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

I wasn't aware that there's a powwow at Cheyenne Frontier Days. There's an Indian Village where they have dancers that perform every day, and invited spectators to join in. I haven't been there much in the past 5 years - only to go to concerts.

Cheyenne Frontier Days is a good idea for a vacation. Here's a link to the schedule:CFD Schedule of Events

We used to go camp out all week, back when they had the Indian Relay races. FUN TIMES!!

Gotta make reservations early. Accomodations usually sell out in a 90 mile radius.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Thanks!

Rose,

Thanks for the quick reply. We already made our reservations at a campground for the entire week. We are really excited to go as are all the kids. We started planning this before Christmas to make sure we could get a campsite.

I had found a schedule that showed a pow wow on Wednesday night, but no I can't seem to find it now - it look slike the page has been updated in the last 48 hours as well. Chris printed everything out a week ago so maybe the information is on there somewhere....I may email the contact info and find out too. Thanks for the possible heads up though - I woud hate to have taken all of our regalia and gotten all pumped to dance at the pow wow and then found out that there wasn't one.

We are planning on taking the girls to one of the concerts but other than that are not real sure of any activities for the evenings. I'll take any suggestions for activities and restaurants that you want to provide as well!! Thanks again!

OP1
      OrangePridendnds1
      "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
      ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.

Comment

The group of dancers that goes down is from this rez. I'll try to ask around about a powwow. I haven't seen the summer powwow schedule for up here (about 4 1/2 hours northwest from Cheyenne), but there's most likely a powwow some weekend when you'll be around.

Cheyenne is a BLAST! And there's lots of things to do besides what's on the CFDs schedule. There's a botanical gardens in Frontier Park, and some wildlife on the grounds. There's usually a quilt show in a big church downtown. The new interactive library has a hands on children museum component that your kids would probably love.

Even on the grounds, there's tons to do. I suggest getting a carnival bracelet for your kids maybe a couple days during the week. They have some specials going on, and lots of rides. The trade show and booths could take you a whole day to visit. Some of the free entertainment is good, and you could hang out at the Indian Village anytime. Just don't eat an Indian taco there. Not very good unless and until they bring in a native vendor.

We're from the sticks so when we go to "the big city" we like to eat at the usual Red Lobster, Chili's, Outback, IHOP, Old Chicago, Olive Garden. I about cried when they closed down Denny's. The Super China Buffet by the mall is really good. Don't miss any of the free pancake breakfasts downtown served with ham and milk or coffee. Don't let the long lines deter you - it goes really fast.

Taco John's started in Cheyenne and there's one on every corner and they have great TexMex fast food. If you want a good steak you can try the Little Bear Inn - not cheap, but GOOD! Pott's is like a family sports bar with good food. And a has a good sampler platter of microbrewery beers. I don't think I've ever had any bad food in Cheyenne, whether it be at the midway, the mall, the pizza, the fast foods or the chains. Just that horrible Indian Taco that I don't even want to think about.

Be sure you're at least outdoors during the airshow on Wed. I never went to the air base to see it, but I've heard it's worth it to see all the other stuff going on there. Buy the paper and check for other "doings" around town.

We used to camp out by the horse stalls - not quite as nice as a campground. But be careful cuz sometimes there's a thunderstorm that comes through EVERY afternoon. Sometimes into the evening. In the 8 years that we went down to participate in the Indian relay - an event no longer held :( - our tent blew down on average about once a year. And it seems like we were always airing our bedding out. A couple times we just covered the whole tent with a tarp. And I always camp with old rugs, inside the tent and outside the door cuz of the dirt and possible mud. I know there's some nicer campgrounds that aren't so exposed to the wind, and are nice and grassy. You'll probably do fine. And have too much fun to notice any terrible weather.
        Last edited by wyo_rose; 02-11-2009, 10:17 PM.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Wyo Rose you are amazing!!

WR,

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful information you shared about Cheyenne and things we can do!! Much gratitude sent your way!! It is hard to believe that we leave in 15 days!! YIKES!! We still have tons to do but I think we will spend the majority of this holiday weekend in preparation of our vacation.

We will be in the Cheyenne area - with a start in Kansas/ Nebraska and a trip home through Colorado the weekend of July 17-19 and then the following wekend. We have had to luck finding a pow wow in either Colorado or Wyoming those times but look forward to seeing the dancers at Indian Village where I will be sure to not get an Indian Taco!!

I wrote down the ideas you suggested and added them to our vacation folder for further reminders once we hit town.

Thanks again for all the help!!
          OrangePridendnds1

Comment

Just popping in to say to OP. Nice to see you around....

Hope things are going well with you and your family. Just busy with kids and work for me.....

Take Care!

Comment

Originally posted by orangepridendns1 View Post
              WR,

We will be in the Cheyenne area - with a start in Kansas/ Nebraska and a trip home through Colorado the weekend of July 17-19 and then the following wekend. We have had to luck finding a pow wow in either Colorado or Wyoming those times
              If your looking for a powwow in Wyoming during that weekend, Northern Arapaho Powwow is going on during that time, i dont know if your just looking locally in the cheyenne area, but Ethete is about 5 hours away.

Comment

Hi KMom!!

Hi Kiyaanii Mom! Thanks for dropping by to say HI to litle ol me!! Good to be seen again!! I sure have missed everyone around here!! Things are really good super busy with the 4 kids and hubby but it's all good! Gla dto hear that things are well with you too! Take Care as well - see you around again I hope!
                OrangePridendnds1

Comment

Thanks Thizgirl!

Thanks for the pow wow tip Thizgirl. Not sure that we realy want to drive that much further but at least we know it is there if we decide too! Thanks for the information!!
                  OrangePridendnds1

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                    I wasn't aware that there's a powwow at Cheyenne Frontier Days. There's an Indian Village where they have dancers that perform every day, and invited spectators to join in. I haven't been there much in the past 5 years - only to go to concerts.
                    Wyo,

I used to dance with a group there, way back when. It was really rugged. We stayed in tipis that weren't water proof. It rained every year we performed. We caught pneumonia one year. One time lightning hit the flag pole where we danced and we all felt it. Every other morning we danced at a 7 am pancake breakfast, then participated in a parade. We danced a performance before partipating in the grand entry in front of the grandstand for those of us who rode horses. Then we danced two more times before the evening. In the evening we danced in front of the grandstand, before the main performers cam on. They really worked us.

They didn't have a powwow when I used to go there. Everytime I hear someone has pneumonia, I think about Cheyenne Frontier Days.
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Hey were you part of the Southern Plains Dancers??? I got the promotion video of Cheyenne Frontier Days from years ago....maybe you're ON THERE!! I know they came up to dance (WORK) every summer for the longest time. Just recently (maybe 5 years) they've had a group from this rez go down.

We were part of the Indian Relay races for years, but you were probably too busy to come watch.

Too bad about the pneumonia! But I know it rains EVERY afternoon in Cheyenne. I went down yesterday for a meeting and about got struck by lightning too! Scary!

I encourage everyone to attend Cheyenne Frontier Days!!! Starts next week!! My daughter has a ticket to see George Strait, but there's no more available. Scalpers will be getting hundreds for a single ticket, I'm sure.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

2 more days

Wy,

We leave in 2 days..cannot wait. The drive will even be bearable - gonna let the kids watch movies. We got the 7 & 5 year old tickets to go and see Taylor Swift. They don't know yet. We are looking forward to the trip so much.
                        OrangePridendnds1

Comment

Cool! You'll have a good time. Just don't expect much fromt he Indian village. It's more for tourists. There's lots of other stuff to do tho.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

George Strait is performing Saturday nite......
                            lisaironmaker

Comment

There's some tickets going for $10K.

My daughter's going. She was given a ticket by her supervisor and bought one on ebay for $120.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X