Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aah man! who picks these winners any how?!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • aah man! who picks these winners any how?!

    Category 70

    Best Native American Music Album
    (Vocal or Instrumental.)

    Songs From The Black Hills
    Bryan Akipa
    [SOAR Corporation]

    Spo'Mo'Kin'Nan
    Black Lodge
    [Canyon Records]

    Red Rock
    Northern Cree
    [Canyon Records]

    Come To Me Great Mystery — Native American Healing Songs
    (Various Artists)
    Tom Wasinger, producer
    [Silver Wave Records]

    Faith
    Kevin Yazzie
    [Canyon Records]

    and the winner is................

    Come To Me Great Mystery — Native American Healing Songs
    (Various Artists)
    Tom Wasinger, producer
    [Silver Wave Records]

    what happened to real indian input?

  • #2
    Grammys

    I take it your referring to the Grammys....Well its a process which includes purchasing a membership and being part of the voting....Thats the tip of the iceberg.....Wasn't to keen on the whole Grammy thing....However it must be exciting for Skins to dive in that pool.....
    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Coyot_In_The_House View Post
      I take it your referring to the Grammys....Well its a process which includes purchasing a membership and being part of the voting....Thats the tip of the iceberg.....Wasn't to keen on the whole Grammy thing....However it must be exciting for Skins to dive in that pool.....
      Ya, we being nominees was a great honor to represent our genre' of music on the world stage. And just to have that music recognized by that world stage, so that future generations can enjoy and know that they too can aspire to great things and not have to try to be anyone or anything else was huge for us. It kind of hurt though, as I'm sure the other Native American nominees must have felt, to have a white guy who created a compilation of other peoples music win the award. Hey, politics in everything throughout the entire show. (eg. strictly from my perspective, but Robert Plante and that Krauss lady had nothing over Cold Play, but they won all the major catagories)
      However, when I sit back and think about it, we've had the opportunity to be there 4 times, I realize just how fortunate we've been since a lot of the people we know will never get that opportunity. There are people working on setting the record straight so this type of fiasco does not continue to happen. We are very grateful and we know we will get another opportunity in the near future, and just maybe we will be the ones to get up on that stage and say at the very least, "all my relatives" as the white guy said! Oh well, keep doing the good thing, keeping our traditions alive, opening doors for future generations, and having fun doing it!

      It was very exciting pulling up to the red carpet in a stretch, wearing our beaded vests, attending the parties, attending the greatest concert on the planet, and meeting some of the most famous people in the music industry. (eg. Paul McCartney, TI) That was cool! They are just people just like us, only they have more money.

      Comment


      • #4
        it seems that the new agers are in control.
        The calibre of winners in the past years have shown a marked
        leaning of the Grammies to the crystal gazer crowd.
        But i hope that they would find that natives think a lot of our
        nominees, keep up the good work. You are winners in my eyes.
        Black Lodge has been nominated many times as well as northern cree.
        congratulations to you all.
        perhaps the crystal gazers will finally realize that there is more to natives sound then flutes and bells, how cliche'.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah, it would have been nice to see Black Lodge, Northern Cree, or Kevin Yazzie win.

          Does the winner of this category get broadcast on TV like them other winners?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by native.nation View Post
            Yeah, it would have been nice to see Black Lodge, Northern Cree, or Kevin Yazzie win.

            Does the winner of this category get broadcast on TV like them other winners?
            No they don't get on the broadcast, only one year they did, when they first did the Grammy's in the NA category, since then, its been nada.....

            Believe me, Blacklodge watches themselves on video whenever they get a chance......LOL.

            But remember Black Eagle Singers did win the Grammy in 2004, over BLodge that year.... it wasn't broadcasted though.
            You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......


            EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
            [email protected]

            Comment


            • #7
              I hear ya Captain....

              Originally posted by captain View Post
              Ya, we being nominees was a great honor to represent our genre' of music on the world stage. And just to have that music recognized by that world stage, so that future generations can enjoy and know that they too can aspire to great things and not have to try to be anyone or anything else was huge for us. It kind of hurt though, as I'm sure the other Native American nominees must have felt, to have a white guy who created a compilation of other peoples music win the award. Hey, politics in everything throughout the entire show. (eg. strictly from my perspective, but Robert Plante and that Krauss lady had nothing over Cold Play, but they won all the major catagories)
              However, when I sit back and think about it, we've had the opportunity to be there 4 times, I realize just how fortunate we've been since a lot of the people we know will never get that opportunity. There are people working on setting the record straight so this type of fiasco does not continue to happen. We are very grateful and we know we will get another opportunity in the near future, and just maybe we will be the ones to get up on that stage and say at the very least, "all my relatives" as the white guy said! Oh well, keep doing the good thing, keeping our traditions alive, opening doors for future generations, and having fun doing it!

              It was very exciting pulling up to the red carpet in a stretch, wearing our beaded vests, attending the parties, attending the greatest concert on the planet, and meeting some of the most famous people in the music industry. (eg. Paul McCartney, TI) That was cool! They are just people just like us, only they have more money.
              If anyones bound to step up to that mic N.C. will....Mighty fine music....I like how you accentuate the positive...Keeping it in perspective good points. Rubbing elbows must have been surreal and to see how down to earth people can be. I certainly hear you on the money tip....Well we'll see you on da trail.....
              "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

              Comment

              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

              Related Topics

              Collapse

              • hywalker
                How white is your native world?
                by hywalker
                To those who may ask, Who the hell does this guy think he is?, after reading this, i very quickly wrote that in another thread "craft contest sponsors" so I don't have to bore readers with a second round of it :) http://www.powwows.com/gathering/sho...965#post707965
                ...
                01-28-2006, 12:25 PM
              • Blackbear
                HAZEL'S UPDATES April 23, 2007
                by Blackbear
                HAZEL'S UPDATES April 23, 2007

                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                April 23, 2007

                I've held off writing this update because for one, I didn't know whether I should or not. My concern was putting out there what...
                04-25-2007, 05:24 AM
              • marichriaddi
                keep in mind..it's just what I think.
                by marichriaddi
                The importance of sobriety in Native America
                I read an agenda for the Sacred Hoop’s stop at the State Capitol in Helena, Montana and one of the items being addressed by Lieutenant Governor Bohlinger was the importance of Native people staying sober. I thought to myself, what a topic to write...
                10-24-2007, 01:32 PM
              • Wojapi4Me
                Indian unification a pipe dream?
                by Wojapi4Me
                Since February is Black History Month, and we're being inundated with those messages on TV, it got me to thinking about the mythical concept of Indian Unification. Is this possible?

                Blacks were able to unify because they identify themselves by a race, not a culturally-specific group....
                02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
              • Wolf Lady
                The Future of American Indian peoples
                by Wolf Lady
                The Future of American Indian peoples
                Posted: January 26, 2006
                by: Joel Waters / Special to Today
                The future of American Indians is muffled, like a dog with a muzzle on, and only so many of us can be heard.

                But, in looking back on the decades since the '70s,...
                01-27-2006, 07:46 PM

              Trending

              Collapse

              There are no results that meet this criteria.

              Sidebar Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X