• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC State Pow-wow - April 4, 2009

check it out....

Date: April 4, 2009
    Grand Entry: 12 noon
    Admission: $1 for students, $2 for general public
    Dance Registration is $5 and a food voucher is included. We will be pre-registering dancers.
    Vendor Registration is $35 for a booth.

MC - TBA
    Head Male - TBA
    Head Female - Laura Kay Oxendine
    Arena Director - Jamie Locklear
    Head Judge - Sharon Berrun
    Tabulator - Becky Leviner
    Host Northern Drum - Stoney Creek Singers
    Host Southern Drum - Black Bear Singers
    Contracted Northerm Drum - TBA
    Contracted Southern Drum - Southern Sun Singers

This is a dance competition powwow only. Drums will receive an honorarium for showing up.

For any information they can contact me at [email protected] or my 910.736.1210.
    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Updated Info

MC - Jamie K. Oxendine (Lumbee/Creek)
    Head Male - Dan Patrick (Waccamaw-Siouan)
    Head Female - Laura Kay Oxendine (Lumbee)
    Host Northern Drum - Stoney Creek Singers (Hollister, NC)
    Host Southern Drum - Black Bear Singers (Washington, DC)
    Invited Northern Drum - Kau-tau-noh, Jrs. (Pembroke, NC)
    Invited Southern Drum - Southern Sun Singers (Pembroke, NC)
    Arena Director - Jamie Locklear (Lumbee)
    Head Judge - Sharon Berrun (Haliwa-Saponi)
    Tabulator - Becky Goins Leviner (Lumbee)
    "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

"She walks in beauty in two worlds." ~ Lumbee Proverb

Comment

Contest Information

The categories for this year's dance contest are as follows:

Adults (16+)
      Men's Northern Traditional*
      Men's Southern Traditional*
      Men's Grass
      Men's Fancy
      Women's Northern Traditional*
      Women's Southern Traditional*
      Women's Jingle
      Women's Fancy

Adult Prize Money

1st Place- $100
      2nd Place- $75
      3rd Place-$50

*The Traditional category for men and women may be combined (northern/southern) if enough funds to hold a separate dance contest have not been obtained.

Juniors (8-15)
      Jr. Men's Traditional
      Jr. Men's Grass
      Jr. Men's Fancy
      Jr. Women's Traditional
      Jr. Women's Jingle
      Jr. Women's Fancy

Jr. Prize Money

1st Place-$75
      2nd Place- $50
      3rd Place-$25

If any dancers would like to pre-register or any vendors would like to set up you can email me at [email protected] and I will get the forms to you.
      "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

Comment

Who's coming?

So how many of ya'll are gonna be at the event?

Comment

bringing it back to the top!

Comment

So who all is coming?

Comment

Everything is getting geared up! We will be having a decent amount of vendors this year. Saturday is quickly approaching!

Comment

I always hit this one , as a spectator of course!!
                Hometown fun!

Comment

This weekend! Back to the top!

Comment

I didn't attend this dance this year. Instead I went to the Duke powwow which occurred at the same time. My concern at Duke was the number of dancers present. But I heard from someone that NCSU also had a pretty light showing of dancers. I wanted to post this over here as well as where I originally posted it on the Duke thead.

I think if I was putting this dance on, I'd do one of two things, either change the date/time to allow all dancers to attend or consolidate.

With UNC and ECU using the weekends prior to Duke/NCSU and Easter following, it may be difficult to make a date change. However, one idea might be to turn either Duke or NCSU into an evening dance. This way, folks can go to Duke for the afternoon, make the quick drive over to NCSU and then dance the night away there. As I was leaving the powwow, I actually had someone stop me in the parking lot and ask where the dance was. They were disappointed to hear that it was over. They had been at NCSU and were hoping to catch the Duke dance after dinner. So changing the time might be a viable solution.

The third idea which I personally think is the most interesting, would be to have a Triangle All-University powwow where the native groups from UNC, NCSU, and Duke work together on a single powwow. The location could shift each year so that each campus gets a shot at hosting. By pooling resources there could be more contest $$ or bigger day money however they did it. This will draw more dancers. And since it's the only show in town, one might see more drums showing up much like at NCSSM in February. And here's a twist that I personally like, with so many companies established in RTP, and the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area, it would be a great opportunity try to host a career fair with these companies. This could do two things, 1) allow companies (or their affinity organizations) to come in and talk with native people both new college grads and experienced about their company and any opportunities they may have and 2) by charging a small booth fee, may help to fund the powwow itself. This career fair could be a real win-win for the native community and the companies.

All in all, this year's dance was well organized and I had a great time. There were many activities interspersed with the powwow dancing which I thought were very informative. Oh and thank God for the sun! I've got a great start on my tan :-)
                    "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Comment

List of Winners

Thank you to everyone that came out and made this event successful. Below are the results of the dance contest.

Tiny Tots
                      All Winners

Jr. Women's Fancy
                      1. Satarah Lewis
                      2. Tiera Lynch
                      3. Aquila Mitchell

Jr. Men's Fancy
                      1. Devin West

Jr. Men's Grass
                      1. Seneca Locklear
                      2. Caleb Dingle

Jr. Men's Traditional
                      1. Tyler Richardson
                      2. Jay Silva
                      3. Nakya Leviner

Women's Fancy
                      1. Katy Isennock
                      2. Ree Richardson
                      3. Patricia Richardson

Women's Jingle
                      1. Brenda Silva
                      2. Consuela Richarson
                      3. Tonia Jacobs

Women's Northern Traditional
                      1. Vanessa Locklear

Women's Southern Traditional
                      1. Sallie Dimalanta
                      2. Michelle Hammonds
                      3. Shawndae Sharp

Men's Fancy
                      1. Josh Hill
                      2. Waya Dimalanta
                      3. Jay Hill

Men's Grass
                      1. Josh Richardson
                      2. Billy Hunt

Men's Northern Traditional
                      1. Cody Jacobs
                      2. Mike Richardson
                      3. Joseph Cranford

Men's Southern Traditional
                      1. Ray Silva
                      2. Echohawk Neconie
                      3. Sonny Fields

Comment

It was OK.

We were down for a few weeks for my husbands job and was so looking forward to this powwow at NC State. It was OK and we did have a nice time. The kids had fun and that is always good. There were some things that dissapointed us though. We really liked the drums and head staff and dancers. My husband really like that the MC did a bit of explaining of the dances and regalia. Even though I have taught him much he is still learing. But we were dissapointed in the number of dancers. They were all very good but just thought that there would be more. Also dissapointed in the crowd as well as both the quanity and quality of vendors. Thought that it would be much bigger seeing it was almost the 20th year and it is at NC State. Thought for sure that State would have it outside if the weather was good and have a venue for rain if needed. The gym was too small and too much other stuff going on in there too. I agree with hobbs49 that it would be cool to see the great schools in the triangle get together for one huge and awesome powwow as well as keep their own too. For example UNC, NCSU and Duke could all have their own powwow at differnt times of the year such as one in the early fall at the start of the school year, one during November for Native Heritage Month and one in the winter and then they all get together and have a massive one in the Spring!

Comment

Thanks for your observations. I'd like to address a few things you made in your post. You are right this was the 19th annual event that was held. The size of the event has grown substantially over the years. I have seen times where there have been less than 15 dancers and this year there were a little over 60. This year's dancer count was a less than the 2008 event that had 78 registered dancers but there was another powwow going on at Duke as previously mentioned.

The event is held in the gym for a few reasons. It used to be held outside and it pretty much rained every year. The powwow has grown since it has been moved inside. The University also provides the gym for free so that is also a plus for having it in there. If the powwow keeps growing then it will either have to move back outside or find a larger inside venue to have it in.

As a whole college powwows in the Southeast generally aren't that large and do not attract the spectators, visitors, dancers and drums that larger powwows such as U of A, ASU, Ann Arbor, UW etc. Hopefully it will get to this level one day.

As far as Carolina, NC State and Duke have a co-sponsored event I'm not sure of what the feasibilty of that will be. Based on experience I know the Carolina and NC State powwow are funded primarly by student fee money. Due to this the event has to be held on campus which allows access for the student body to attend. I think this would be a huge obstacle for the groups to overcome if they tried to plan a Triangle area powwow. Also, Carolina and NC State also plan Native recruitment events and student awards banquets around their powwows as well. This could potentially be another obstacle with merging.

Originally posted by Beccarator View Post
                          We were down for a few weeks for my husbands job and was so looking forward to this powwow at NC State. It was OK and we did have a nice time. The kids had fun and that is always good. There were some things that dissapointed us though. We really liked the drums and head staff and dancers. My husband really like that the MC did a bit of explaining of the dances and regalia. Even though I have taught him much he is still learing. But we were dissapointed in the number of dancers. They were all very good but just thought that there would be more. Also dissapointed in the crowd as well as both the quanity and quality of vendors. Thought that it would be much bigger seeing it was almost the 20th year and it is at NC State. Thought for sure that State would have it outside if the weather was good and have a venue for rain if needed. The gym was too small and too much other stuff going on in there too. I agree with hobbs49 that it would be cool to see the great schools in the triangle get together for one huge and awesome powwow as well as keep their own too. For example UNC, NCSU and Duke could all have their own powwow at differnt times of the year such as one in the early fall at the start of the school year, one during November for Native Heritage Month and one in the winter and then they all get together and have a massive one in the Spring!

Comment

LumbeeWarrior, check your private messages.
                            Becky B.

Comment

Thanks lumbee_warrior!

Thanks lumbee_warrior. It was a nice event and as I said before if the kids have a good time then it is a good time becuase pleasing 3 kids is not easy! Too bad that NCSU had rain so many years in a row. Any chance that you could have an outside venue and also a inside venue just in case? I know that can be very hard if not impossible but if you start now who knows what the Universtiy may do? Again the dancers were very good as so were the drums, just wanted to see a bit more. We have been to some big powwows and not sure if we like the ones that are too big so not sure I want to see NCSU like U of M was a very years ago or even ASU. I don't want to see hundreds of dancers and 24 drums like some univeristy powwows - just a bit more dancers but a lot more vendors I think would be great.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.