A new direction thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new direction thread

Instead of offering a place to rant and rave and be negative, I am going to offer an alternative, for those of us who are sick and tired of the ranting and raving. It has its time and place, but for me, personally, its not here, and its not now!!!!!

SO, Lets get this baby started in a good way::::::

What is your FIRST memory of being at a powwow? What scent, sound or sight takes you back?

Cant wait to see who puts up the "First Snag" story, first!!
    Last edited by Lakota Wiyan; 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM.
    Ipsica Waci
    Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Back in '73 at a little powwow in NC (I was in the military). Saw this pretty girl with the most prettiest eyes.

To make a short story long...ended up marrying her and stayed that way for 22 years. Three of the craziest children came out of that!

I don't have any snaggin stories.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

[QUOTE=Lakota Wiyan;1286577][SIZE="5"][SIZE="5"][SIZE="6"]Instead of offering a place to rant and rave and be negative, I am going to offer an alternative, for those of us who are sick and tired of the ranting and raving. It has its time and place, but for me, personally, its not here, and its not now!!!!!

[email protected] why the *&$# would you feel like that.....!

just kidding this is a good idea you have there.

Comment

I was 16 in 1977, just got my drivers license that May. We drove from Tahlequah to Tulsa Powwow in Mohawk park...
        Whew some good memories there that is for sure, barely watched the powwow though
        LOL
        ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
        Till I Die!

Comment

my best memories was watching my Little Girl dance

Comment

Best powwow for me.. was ASU powwow 2001. I met my (CURRENT) husband at that powwow and conversed with him, briefly.
            FF>> 5 years later, we found each other again....without realizing we had met YEARS before..been married ever since.

Comment

My first and best was back in 1970...........hanging out with my first boy friend at a pow wow and round dancing with my best friend. We had the best time!!

Comment

Would have to have been in the early 70's, in Texas or Oklahoma. I can't remember where or even when for sure, but I do remember that my Dad was home on leave from Vietnam. So I had to be about 7 or 8. All I cared about was my Daddy was home. I can remember that I had a white dress with cherries on it. So if anyone has pictures for a powwow and there's a little girl with huge brown eyes and a dress with cherries on it. It's me...

My 2nd best memory is dancing with my husband for the first time, I will never forget that one.
                Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Hey my best memory is back in 1980, powwow with a fashion show, one model from up near baffin island caught my eye and we started chit chat, and yesssssssssss we snagged for the rest of the weekend!!!! We stayed close for a few years and then she went back north, that broke my heart for a long time. I still miss her. Other than that, all powwows hold good memories!!!
                  Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                  Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

My first powwow was in like 1990 or 1991. My sister and I went to Morningstar Festival that was held in the old Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix. I remember 2-stepping there. It was a beautiful warm, sunny day. Frybread cooking, lots of vendors, that was one of the best days. Thinking about that day makes me homesick for Phx.

Comment

I really don't remember my first pow-wow, but I know it was at Delaware pow-wow in Copan, OK.
                      sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                      contestre[email protected]

Comment

my first powwow?? i have no idea . . .
                        but the powwow i most remember is when my lil girl first danced.

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

My earliest memories are being lulled to sleep to the beat of the drums cuz we lived so close to the powwow grounds. When last year's 49 was close to my new home, it was sure a flashback!

My best memory is from Ethete Celebration (when it was still BIG), all my girls were out dancing in an intertribal when the rain suddenly started falling. Quite a cloudburst and everybody started running under the arbor, but the drum kept going. My girls didn't miss a beat and were the only ones out there still dancing away. I don't know how many pushups they did, but they kept going and going - dancers and singers - until the rain stopped.

Of course my favorite snagging story has to do with being out in the rain too.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

One of my earliest memories is falling asleep listening to the drums at the arena as I was in my grandparents old canvas army tent on the army cot and then waking up to the Sunday morning prayers on the megaphone as they drove around camp and prayed in Sioux at Rosebud Fair, mustve been 1974-I was probably about 4 or 5.

More memories from those times:
                            Waking up to the smell of camp coffee, listening to the old men tell stories late in the night, chasing grasshoppers big as birds in the field, buying snocones, playing at the carnival, washing our hair in the ice cold pump water, running around the pow wow grounds all day and feeling safe and happy.

Comment

My fondest memory was being at the Annual Tiah-Piah Goon-Gah, down at Carnegie Park! Smell of cooking early in the morning right before Rabbit Dancing. Picking up trash around the arena and being paid a whole one-dollar bill and spent it at the Carnegie Pool, then went to hit all my aunts and uncles for fireworks moolah! haww! And then singing in the afternoon when was good and hot! whew! And sweating and then eating supper at the camp included, kee-soy, and ah-pbee-aye! and glass of ice cold sweet tea! And then do it all over again in the evening dances. Ahh-hoooeeee!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.