Origion of the word "powwow"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origion of the word "powwow"?

I've asked some NAs at a couple of powwows, where the word "Powwow" comes from, but no one's ever been able to tell me.
    According to Wikkipedia, it comes from the Narragansett word "powwaw", which means "spiritual leader".
    Does anybody know if this claim is correct?
    I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Originally posted by Bodica View Post
    I've asked some NAs at a couple of powwows, where the word "Powwow" comes from, but no one's ever been able to tell me.
    According to Wikkipedia, it comes from the Narragansett word "powwaw", which means "spiritual leader".
    Does anybody know if this claim is correct?

Bodica,

Don't believe everything you read in Wiki...

I will share a teaser from a book and exhibition I have been working on called. "Moving History: The Evolution of the Powwow."

Pau wau, Etymology: Narraganset powwaw or Massachuset pauwau. (Noun) - a: Algonquian Indian word pau wau, meaning, “he dreams.” b: originally an Indian medicine man or priest, who was presumed to have learned his art from his dreams. b: Native American shaman. c: A ceremony conducted by a shaman, as in the performance of healing or hunting rituals.

........... The word powah was included in an early piece of New England propaganda that represents Puritan attitudes to the religions of the New World inhabitants, “The office and dutie of the Powah is to be exercised principally in calling upon the Devil; and curing diseases of the sicke or wounded.” .........

........... As American expansion moved west, Powwow became a term used to describe any type of Indian gathering, ceremony or meeting. Eventually Indians learned the English language and accepted this definition used to describe their gatherings. This application has been functional up to present day powwows. Today, the newer term Powwow is more closely associated with Plains Indian culture and modern powwows.

Powwow (verb) - a: Hold a powwow, talk, conference or meeting. b: American Indian ceremony or gathering of various kinds. c: a social get-together d: a meeting for discussion.
    Last edited by WhoMe; 03-20-2009, 03:25 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
      Bodica,

Don't believe everything you read in Wiki...

I will share a teaser from a book and exhibition I have been working on called. "Moving History: The Evolution of the Powwow."

Pau wau, Etymology: Narraganset powwaw or Massachuset pauwau. (Noun) - a: Algonquian Indian word pau wau, meaning, “he dreams.” b: originally an Indian medicine man or priest, who was presumed to have learned his art from his dreams. b: Native American shaman. c: A ceremony conducted by a shaman, as in the performance of healing or hunting rituals.

The word powah was included in an early piece of New England propaganda that represents Puritan attitudes to the religions of the New World inhabitants: “The office and dutie of the Powah is to be exercised principally in calling upon the Devil; and curing diseases of the sicke or wounded.” .........

........... As American expansion moved west, Powwow became a term used to describe any type of Indian gathering, ceremony or meeting. Eventually Indians learned the English language and accepted this definition used to describe their gatherings. This application has been functional up to present day powwows. Today, the newer term Powwow is more closely associated with Plains Indian culture and modern powwows.

Powwow (verb) - a: Hold a powwow, talk, conference or meeting. b: American Indian ceremony or gathering of various kinds. c: a social get-together d: a meeting for discussion.
      Actually, I don't believe anything I read on Wikkipedia (which I why I posted this thread).
      I just tried it as a starting point.
      Thanks for all the info, Who.
      And kudos on your book!
      I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Comment

Wait, what? WhoMe has a book? Where do I order a copy?
        "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
        Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X