When in Rome....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When in Rome....

I took part in a pipe ceremony earlier this week. It was being led by some Cree visitors. Even though I have been in Cree country before (Hobbema, Thunderchild, Onion Lake, Poundmaker and Duffield, I had never participated in a Cree pipe ceremony. I have participated in pipe ceremonies of other tribes. In these other tribal pipe ceremonies, only men particpated. I'm sure those who do these types of things have their own rules. Anyways, women were allowed to participate at this particular ceremony. Even though this was not how I was used to participating in this ceremony, I didn't say anything or leave.

This got me thinking....

Since I have powwowed from Alaska to Florida and many parts in between, I have seen many new ways of conducting powwows. A lot of times I said hmmm, didn't agree with what was taking place or even thought it was a bit hokey! But I never said anything to the committee or who ever was doing something I never saw before. I just figured I am a visitor and this is how they do things in their part of the country or powwow.

Do you speak up when you are not comfortable with what is taking place at a powwow where you are a visitor? Who do you tell?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    Who do you tell?
    You don't say anything to anyone there. You come on PowWows.com and *****!

New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

I come to powwows.com to air out my troubles........LOL!!!
      sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
        You don't say anything to anyone there. You come on PowWows.com and *****!

wow Great minds, eh????.......LOL!!!
        sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Originally posted by 50cal View Post
          wow Great minds, eh????.......LOL!!!

New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Soo true.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I keep it to myself.... I've definitely have seen questionable things over the years too. If I really don't like what i see, I just won't go back.
              sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
              [email protected]

Comment

If i see something that doesnt seem right, if applicable i speak to my older friends and let them know, if it is a big deal they will approach director. If its not that big of a deal we all just kinda give one another heads up and raise our eyebrows.

Tho it does bother me a bit when an intertribal event discrimination is present (isnt that the whole reason for it being intertribal so that everyone may practice with their heritage)

Comment

Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
                  I keep it to myself.... I've definitely have seen questionable things over the years too. If I really don't like what i see, I just won't go back.
                  Yeah if something rubs me wrong i wont return either :)

Comment

A couple of months ago I was asst AD, after GE the MC asked for a Victory song before posting the colors. I told them they shouldn't sing one since we are still at War. Ask my nephew who is overseas getting shot at every day if we should sing a Victory song. He looked at me like"What do I do then" I said let them sing a Veteran Song.

Comment

Originally posted by rez_hopper View Post
                      A couple of months ago I was asst AD, after GE the MC asked for a Victory song before posting the colors. I told them they shouldn't sing one since we are still at War. Ask my nephew who is overseas getting shot at every day if we should sing a Victory song. He looked at me like"What do I do then" I said let them sing a Veteran Song.
                      There have been many wars, with many veterans. Honor the veterans of yesteryear.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I took part in a pipe ceremony earlier this week. It was being led by some Cree visitors. Even though I have been in Cree country before (Hobbema, Thunderchild, Onion Lake, Poundmaker and Duffield, I had never participated in a Cree pipe ceremony. I have participated in pipe ceremonies of other tribes. In these other tribal pipe ceremonies, only men particpated. I'm sure those who do these types of things have their own rules. Anyways, women were allowed to participate at this particular ceremony. Even though this was not how I was used to participating in this ceremony, I didn't say anything or leave.

This got me thinking....

Since I have powwowed from Alaska to Florida and many parts in between, I have seen many new ways of conducting powwows. A lot of times I said hmmm, didn't agree with what was taking place or even thought it was a bit hokey! But I never said anything to the committee or who ever was doing something I never saw before. I just figured I am a visitor and this is how they do things in their part of the country or powwow.

Do you speak up when you are not comfortable with what is taking place at a powwow where you are a visitor? Who do you tell?
                        well i've been Cree all my life LOL and i have never ever ever seen a woman participate in a "Cree pipe ceremony." women do not participate in alot of our ceremonies ... feasts for example ... only men pray and serve the foods (women prepare it and do not touch or be anywhere near the food during their time of the month)

all i can say is .... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                        Watch your broken dreams...
                        Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

now a days, who can you tell? Some AD's have no clue as to what is going on or what their "role" involves. I guess it depends on what you're witnessing that makes you say "WTF?!??!" Then there are people like my mom with that "Oh hell no" kinda attitude...she's old school, at times will walk up to people and talk to them about what they're doing.

I've seen all kinds of crazy things at pw's, especially here out east...they do some strange things!!! After awhile, it's sad to say, but I kinda got numb to some of those crazy ways....i just choose not to dance at those powwows.
                          *BE EASY*

Comment

This got me thinking....

This is the problem, people rarely say anything, cause in todays society every one wants to do things their way and not with an open mind. They get so defensive when you ask a simple question.
                            Lots of people contest, so as in my case, it is a smart political move to not say anything. This is unfortunate. I have said things or made comments at pw's and now realize it would have been easier if I kept my mouth shut cause this one person who disaggreed with me is always a judge. I have walked out of pw's cause they were doing things crazy. I live in PA and it happens ALOT here. Lots of hobbiest people in my area who probably learn what they know from boyscouts and books. I am young and often times don't really feel I have the right to say a whole lot to people but if something is blatently wrong I will, and suffer whatever consequences may arise. This is our job as proud ndn people, to police up these crazies for the sake of our children and grandchildren. I don't want my kids to learn what they think is right and/or tradition that was made up by some one I could have stopped.
                            When in Rome go to the committee.

Comment

I have been thinking about this one for a while

What is Normal?

When we go up to Osage Country to dances they dance the opposite way
                              Should I go to the Committee and tell them they are doing it wrong??

I have been to dances where they only enter to the East into the arbor
                              Should I go to the committee and tell them in Oklahoma we go into the arena anyway which way?

What is Normal?

I agree that there are some powwows out there that are crazzzzy but then what is Normal?

Ceremonies have been modified and will changed over time
                              While I dont agree that certain things should change such as men only dances I am a realist and know that this too will change
                              Should we embrace change or resist it???
                              Who is qualified to speak up??? Who will the committee listen to???
                              Even here in Oklahoma where there are many elders that do actually know the proper ways, even they are reluctant to speak up!

The things is we Ndns travel so far and wide now and when the ceremonies are done far from where they originate there will be some changes creeping in and eventually it will drift far from the original ceremony.
                              I see alot of influences from northern tribes down here in Southern country the Jingle Dance and Grass dance are two fine examples
                              20 years ago they were a exotic dance that was rarely seen and then only at Large gatherings
                              Now days they are far and wide down here and most powwows have Northern categories
                              But are the Dances true to there origins down here has some change crept in? I am almost sure of it

What is Normal?
                              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                              Till I Die!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.