Disqualification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disqualification

Has anybody seen a dance contest where the dancer was disqualified?

In the evolution of contests, the honor system used to be prevalent. if a dancer dropped a major item or over/understepped the last beat of the contest song, they disqualified themselves. Anybody seen that happen lately? *L

Has you seen a commiittee or head judge ever disqualified someone?

What about drum disqualification?
    Last edited by WhoMe; 07-02-2009, 02:56 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

They still disqualify dancers at Whiteeagle....

Outside of that, I haven't seen it done. I've heard things such as dancers losing points for a session, but is it really enforced. Seems like the dancers in question manage to place anyways. Then its also possible for a dancer to get disqualified without being informed, as way to avoid conflict/diva-ish behavior.

Who knows, most committees seem to be secrative anyways. lol
    sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
    [email protected]

Comment

alot of pow wows have it in the rules ... and if you try to play it off ... the AD inforces it. either by walking over and tapping them ... or mentioning to the judges.

this past wknd ... two male dancers were caught doing drugs (by security) and the committee asked them to leave (that was on friday night). guess they should be lucky the police weren't involved ... their presence was upscaled daily ... on sunday they were patrolling the parking area regularily.
      Watch your broken dreams...
      Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

I only saw this at one powwow. In Western Washington on Sunday right after Grand Entry a traditional dancer whistled this drum and after he was completed he told the people that the committee was running a substance free powwow. These drummers who were right in there for the drumming contest were drinking and smoking marijuana and carrying on after the powwow was finished on Saturday evening. They were doing it right at the powwow grounds. Anyway, they were disqualified and sent away from the powwow. This happened a few years ago and they haven't been back since. The problem I see with this is people tend to pick and choose who they make examples of. At this same powwow a couple of years ago, another drum group was smoking up right behind where they drum and nothing was done. They are good friends with the AD and the committee. Another drummer from one group was actually selling marijuana and E from his backpack. Nothing was done. So to me it is delivering a consistent message that is important.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post

In the evolution of contests, the honor system used to be prevalent. if a dancer dropped a major item or over/understepped the last beat of the contest song, they disqualified themselves. Anybody seen that happen lately? *L
          I have seen it happen at the smaller pws in SD and WY lately, but the AD has them come back into the arena for the 2nd song or line up with the other dancers

Comment

At a local pow wow, here in Oklahoma, just a few months ago, I saw a Jingle Dancer disqualify herself from the Jingle Dance contest because she dropped part of her regalia. I didn't see which part. She didn't finish the dance, just walked off when she noticed she had dropped something. She was the Head Lady Dancer. The MC commended her for disqualifing herself. I wanted to see her dance.

Comment

I see people drop dance sticks, fans, chokers, have their roaches slide down their necks, and they never walk off. I think some figure that they'll lose points with the judge that saw it, but if the others didn't then they're ok.

Used to be overstepping or understepping was a dq too. Now it's more like, oops! where's my check? I'm a diva!!!!!!

Comment

Its the way I was taught, you overstep, understep, or drop something, you walk off. Do I still do that, you betcha! Of course I am ole fashion too. Of course I know if I didn't my mom, if she were here, would pull my ear and yank me off. Those ole timers were tough. But I know times are changing.

Comment

a few years ago i was at a new year's eve pow wow here in CT and an Eastern War dancer had somehow accidently let go of his club and it landed some distance from people. he disqualified himslf before the song was done and he paid the drum i think some money for his boo boo.
                  Bahnisiain

Comment

08 prarie band potawotomi, was dancing and after i got my number taken and we were excused, AD comes over and hands me a feather, eagle feather that was :(, anywho it wasnt one of my feathers too small. So the AD disqualified me for that session. It turned out that i SoMeHoW placed 3rd. idk how that was........

Comment

I guess it's sort of like boxing, or maybe some other sports, if the ref/official don't see ya, all's well and good. You can get in some of those punches below the belt, or rabbit punches, or a thumb in the eye, head butt, as long as no one sees ya. You wouldn't want to be caught too many times, you might get the reputation of being a "Dirty Dancer".

Comment

Ive seen dancers disqualify theirselves, and seen dancers who disqualify theirselves and the mc or ad would ask them to get back in line (they did).
                        I have NEVER seen a dancer or a drum be disqualified, while dropping items, falling down drunk dancing, being sloppy drunk singing, or being high as heck and smelling like it to boot. Party sad to see, party sad. I've always wondered how contests would come out if there were breathalyzers prior to singing... probably would still not get dq'ed no matter what they blew! HA

Comment

Originally posted by Redstone View Post
                          Its the way I was taught, you overstep, understep, or drop something, you walk off. Do I still do that, you betcha! Of course I am ole fashion too. Of course I know if I didn't my mom, if she were here, would pull my ear and yank me off. Those ole timers were tough. But I know times are changing.

I too would like to say that I'm a little old fashoned, just look at my clothes. I have missed the ending several times and just step out. I would never call attention to myself, so many would probably not notice. As I said, I'm not very flashy anyway. I've seen others who were and have seen those who should have been more honorable.
                          BOB

Comment

((deleted previous post))
                            Last edited by ac_miss; 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM.
                            Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post

Has you seen a commiittee or head judge ever disqualified someone?

What about drum disqualification?
                              I still see dancers DQ themselves. And I still see dancers pickup an item and get in line!
                              New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.