Called to perform: Sentinel student invited to teach classes in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Called to perform: Sentinel student invited to teach classes in Scotland

alled to perform: Sentinel student invited to teach classes at conference in Scotland
    By ALAINA ABBOTT for the Missoulian

Rocky Cadman whirls like a glittering butterfly when she dances. Spinning, twirling and jumping, she whips her fringed shawl to create a bright flurry of pink, purple and blue.

This is how Cadman, 16, celebrates freedom from her cocoon and thanks God for giving her the ability to dance.

And now she will share that celebration with dancers from across the globe.

Cadman will teach four classes in traditional Native American fancy dancing July 11-17 at the seventh International Christian Creative Arts and Dance Conference at St. Andrews University in Scotland.

The beauty of Cadman's fancy shawl dancing at a Bible camp four years ago caught the attention of a visiting representative of Cre8Ed, Karen Underwood. Cre8Ed is a Christian group in England.

“It just brought the house down,” said Carol Gerisch, a Christian youth leader at Mission Mountain Worship Center in St. Ignatius. “The English never forgot her.”

Underwood invited Cadman, a senior at Sentinel High School, to the conference, and the English group raised enough money to pay for her trip.

With a heritage that includes Navajo, Kickapoo, Blackfeet and Mexican, Cadman will represent Native Americans. She is also Christian.

“The main reason why I dance is it's a gift from God,” Cadman said. “All of the dance in this family - we celebrate it with pride and dignity.”

Cadman comes from a family of dancers. Her parents and brother also dance at powwows, and her grandma, who helped raise Cadman, coached her, teaching her “the look and the attitude.”

The outfit Cadman wears covers her up in the tradition of modesty.

Read more:
    Missoulian: Called to perform: Sentinel student invited to teach classes at conference in Scotland
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

"In Scotland, Rocky Cadman will present the butterfly dance, which demonstrates salvation.

Darin Cadman said the worm in the cocoon at the beginning of the dance symbolizes a person bound by sin. The person asks God for help, and breaking out of the cocoon is the happiness of the dance.

“Her dad taught her that every step is a prayer,”
    Gerisch said."

Hmmmmmmmmm???????????
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Last edited by lbgood; 07-30-2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

wonder if her dad is a preacher....
        The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
          alled to perform: Sentinel student invited to teach classes at conference in Scotland
          By ALAINA ABBOTT for the Missoulian

Rocky Cadman whirls like a glittering butterfly when she dances. Spinning, twirling and jumping, she whips her fringed shawl to create a bright flurry of pink, purple and blue.

This is how Cadman, 16, celebrates freedom from her cocoon and thanks God for giving her the ability to dance.

And now she will share that celebration with dancers from across the globe.

Cadman will teach four classes in traditional Native American fancy dancing July 11-17 at the seventh International Christian Creative Arts and Dance Conference at St. Andrews University in Scotland.

The beauty of Cadman's fancy shawl dancing at a Bible camp four years ago caught the attention of a visiting representative of Cre8Ed, Karen Underwood. Cre8Ed is a Christian group in England.

“It just brought the house down,” said Carol Gerisch, a Christian youth leader at Mission Mountain Worship Center in St. Ignatius. “The English never forgot her.”

Underwood invited Cadman, a senior at Sentinel High School, to the conference, and the English group raised enough money to pay for her trip.

With a heritage that includes Navajo, Kickapoo, Blackfeet and Mexican, Cadman will represent Native Americans. She is also Christian.

“The main reason why I dance is it's a gift from God,” Cadman said. “All of the dance in this family - we celebrate it with pride and dignity.”

Cadman comes from a family of dancers. Her parents and brother also dance at powwows, and her grandma, who helped raise Cadman, coached her, teaching her “the look and the attitude.”

The outfit Cadman wears covers her up in the tradition of modesty.

Read more:
          Missoulian: Called to perform: Sentinel student invited to teach classes at conference in Scotland
          Tried the link.. n the article woulnd't come up!! did someone get a chance 2 get it??

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol

Comment

Wasn't there a thread earlier talking about the cocoon dancer in Ohio?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

This one...

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/fan...butterfly.html

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

This link now works. I think before it was the top stories but they have now moved it to local news which is why the old link doesn't work.

Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                  Wasn't there a thread earlier talking about the cocoon dancer in Ohio?

I went to a powwow in Ohio - once.

After the powwow a bunch of singers got together to have a 49! We were ready! On the third song, the person started the quiting song.

So we all quit and left.
                  Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X