Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you stay cool at Summer Pow Wows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stay cool at Summer Pow Wows?

Saw someone on Twitter post that it was going to be real hot this weekend at a Pow Wow.

So how do you stay cool?
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

I sit in the shade and have cold drinks. Unless I'm dancing and then when the dance is over, then I go back to the shade.LOL

At night when the pow wow is over I look for the nearest swimming pool or river and go jump in it.

This coming weekend I have a pow wow that's along a river and I go and walk in the river many times, it's always great. No pool nearby that I know of, but a nice river.

Comment

First of all drink ALOT OF WATER!!! Set up my big shade get my lil battery powerd fan and also shade myself with my big flat fan and im good to go!!!
      I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

We put up our easy up shade(if you are powwowing in the PA area just look for the cow print and you'll find us), drink lots of water, and use my fan a lot.... I also got a great hint on Powwows.com recently about putting either baby wipes or wet rags in the ice chest.... that idea is the best thing since sliced white bread.... grab one of those out of a zip lock bag and it's very cooling and refreashing.......

We also keep fruit in the ice chest for a cool pick me up, grapes, cherries, oranges, and bannanas.....all of these fruits will give you nutrients that you are sweating out as well as helping to keep your blood sugar stable.....
        Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

That explains why so many people come to my 20 foot by 12 foot shade covered stand! I made it open on both ends, that keeps the air moving too!

The best way to cool down is lots of hot beverages, believe it or not it regulates your temperature better. If you drink cold drinks the difference to the outside temperature and the temp of your stomach is greater, then the need to cool off more becomes greater, hence the need for more cold liquids!!! Take one cup of hot tea and you are near the same in temp as your surroundings and you tend to be less thirsty and actually cooler due to matching temperatures of your body and your surroundings!!!

I tend to stay away from tooo many cold drinks while working as well, that means more trips away from my stand and that is not good!!!! LOL Having people follow you on bathroom trips is bad!!! LOL
          Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
          Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
            That explains why so many people come to my 20 foot by 12 foot shade covered stand! I made it open on both ends, that keeps the air moving too!

The best way to cool down is lots of hot beverages, believe it or not it regulates your temperature better. If you drink cold drinks the difference to the outside temperature and the temp of your stomach is greater, then the need to cool off more becomes greater, hence the need for more cold liquids!!! Take one cup of hot tea and you are near the same in temp as your surroundings and you tend to be less thirsty and actually cooler due to matching temperatures of your body and your surroundings!!!

I tend to stay away from tooo many cold drinks while working as well, that means more trips away from my stand and that is not good!!!! LOL Having people follow you on bathroom trips is bad!!! LOL
            idk about a "hot beverage" but i do remember when i was in basic training we were never allowed "ice cold" water. our canteens were always filled w/ warm water that we had 2 drink.. and that was part of the philosophy. you expended less energy... and didn't cause ur body such a "shock" i guess i still drink. luke warm water during the day...

but

but i still cant help it.. i'm down 4 an ice cold fresh lemonade right after i dance

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol

Comment

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
              i totally agree with you... thats what my grandma and uncles say, so during the summer or hot days, i drink hot tea or hot water and yeah, i feel much cooler

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

i go 'slick" lol

Comment

LOL--that's funny.

Now if someone is overheated, you don't want to give them anything ice cold, that's for sure--it will send them into shock, I've actually seen that happen. Give them "room temp" water and see if they can handle it.

But just getting warm or hot, for me it's a cold drink and I'm good to go. I don't like my fruit ice cold usually, but I always have some on hand for the pow wow's 'cause you do need it and I have peanutbutter crackers all the time too.

Yeah, I just saw the baby wipe thing this past weekend, I knew about the wash cloth, I've done that before and it works too.

Comment

well coming from Oklahoma where it's so dang hot and humid, aclimating to the heat is very important. To that end we try and not use our Ac in the house or the car to better get used to the heat. We use our flat fans during pow-wows and umbrellas or shades. Always try and set camp under some trees for shade and we also use an old trick we used to use at home before air conditioning. We take an old bed sheet, dunk it in water then hang it up where the breeze (what little there is) will blow across it and into camp. Also lots of liquids and a creek or river to jump into before and after don't hurt!

Comment

^Essentially an evaporative cooler, still creates some cold humidity, and I hate humidity, the Northeast is usually always humid during the summer, however this summer has seen some odd weather recently. At powwows I usually just park myslef under a tree. The 3 powwows I work throughout the year are held at a museum where the basement of the building is usually much cooler than outside, so when it comes time for a break (well usually just lunch break) I hang out down there. The sun and heat don't really bother me though except if I'm doing some excessive work, ex pulling wire in an attic.
                      CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                      sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                        So how do you stay cool?
                        Hmmm? I guess I put on a dark pair of sunglasses, get an attitude and start acting "some way?"

Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                          Hmmm? I guess I put on a dark pair of sunglasses, get an attitude and start acting "some way?"

Me too.....

Comment

Staying Cool

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                            Saw someone on Twitter post that it was going to be real hot this weekend at a Pow Wow.

So how do you stay cool?
                            I hate the heat, and do these things to avoid it:
                            *Carry a bottle of water and Stay Hydrated
                            *Walk or sit in the shade whenever possible
                            *Move slowly
                            *Avoid dancing if very hot, or only dance a few "rounds" at a time
                            *Wear a hat

Good luck! SmallCat

Comment

Oranges, water (room temp) allthough if I get given an ice cold I will sip and pour some on me. I have a solar powered fan for baby and my flat fan. At Algonquin park, Curve Lake or Hiawatha I just think about how cold I was that night Last year the question I was wondering was "how to stay dry" I'd rather be hot then wet. I forgot about the baby wipe suggestion, so trying that next weekend.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.