Richmond, VA Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond, VA Winners

I know there was a lot of people upset about registration going up but hey the price of the building went up so Barry had to charge people at the door more and the dancers. Remember, this isn't a non-profit organization having a powwow, it is a person.

Anyway, here are the winners:

Girls Fancy Boys Fancy
    3. Jaylin Richardson
    2. Chelsea Graham 2. Missugken Zamora
    1. Alexis Hill

Girls Jingle Boys Grass
    3. Alayna Richardson 3. Nehemiah Oxendine
    2. Celestial Daniel 2. PJ Moyer
    1. Mailia Yanez 1. Yona Locklear

Girls Traditional Boys Traditional
    2. Kyla Daniel 2. Teoikey Richardson
    1. Nichole Nordwall 1. Nakya Leviner

Jr. Women’s Fancy Jr. Men’s Fancy
    3. Sage Dimalanta 3. Sherman Addi
    2. Satarah Lewis 2. Devin West
    1. Mayanna Richardson 1. Kaleb Richardson

Jr. Women’s Jingle Jr. Men’s Grass
    3. Samantha Daniel 3. Joseph Lynch
    2. Brianna Locklear 2. Justin Locklear
    1. Samantha Anstead 1. Deitrick Richardson

Jr. Women’s Traditional Jr. Men’s Traditional
    3. Jesse Wallace 3. Gary Meeches
    2. Tequorra Green 2. Jay Silva
    1. Layla Locklear 1. Tyler Richardson

Women’s Fancy Men’s Fancy
    3. Ree Richardson 3. Larry Yazzie
    2. Katy Isennock 2. Nigel Schuyler
    1. Denelle Stanley 1. Josh Hill

Women’s Jingle Men’s Grass
    3. Stephanie Nordwall 3. Josh Richardson
    2. Olivia Richardson 2. Albert Zamora
    1. Elyse Sparks-Jackson 1. Adam Nordwall

3. Dorothy Gray 3. Apesanhkwat
    2. Nita One Bear 2. EchoHawk Neconie
    1. Erin Meeches 1. Patrick Green

Drum
    3. Red Oak
    2. Black Bear
    1. Red Earth

I lost my paper with all the winners from the specials but the Iron Man/Iron Woman winners were:

Katy Isennock and Denelle Stanley - a total of 19 songs
    Josh Hill and Adam Nordwall - a total of 20 songs

Each group split the money.

I think the Melissa Guerraro special was:

3. Katy Isennock
    2. Cepa Sparks
    1. Denelle Stanley

I don't remember the winners from the Brenda Silva Grass Dance special. Can someone help me out?

Thanks to everyone that came out and supported Barry - I think this was a great powwow. Over 160 dancers and 5 drums. Friday night I had over 120 dancers register.
    Becky B.

I cannot believe that Stephanie Nordwall got third...that is such a crock of well take your pick what to fill it up with!!!!!

Comment

Actually in the Men's blowout special the other winner was Larry Yazzie, not Adam Nordwall. And Brenda Silva's special was a Chicken special, not a grass special.

Comment

To Jinglemama07, got beef? Whoa!!!

Comment

JM,

Just remember that from one area to the next, the population is different and therefore the "taste" of what to look for in a dance differs...You may like the traditional step while I may like the flashiness of contemporary.

On a side note, sounds like you know Ms. Nordwall ;-) and have seen her dance before. Do you by any chance know the other women? Have you ever seen them dance? Were you there? Just maybe there was a song she didn't "dig"...

I'm gonna admit, I was there...but the dance contest was not my focus. The drums were my focus...and I can tell you this...I believe it was their category that got 3 songs on Sunday.
          To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Originally posted by Saponi4ever View Post
            Actually in the Men's blowout special the other winner was Larry Yazzie, not Adam Nordwall. And Brenda Silva's special was a Chicken special, not a grass special.
            Larry danced 22 songs.

Comment

It was my first year there. It seemed like a well put together dance. Keith kept things moving nicely. Not rushed, but not a lot of dead air either. Things pretty much stayed on schedule all weekend. It seems that Marty kept a good rotation of judges so if someone has an issue then it would seem to be a pretty weak argument given the number of judges that had input in the decision. All in all, I'd definately go back again as there were some really good dancers and singers there (even if my kid did crack his head from sliding in the pool WhoMe :-)
              "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                Larry danced 22 songs.
                They called it a "moccasin blowout" but it felt more like a singer blowout
                "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by hobbs49 View Post
                  They called it a "moccasin blowout" but it felt more like a singer blowout
                  He's gone over 40 songs before, he;s good at making those singers earn their money!

Comment

as a matter of fact I don't have beef with anyone and I have seen the other winners dance plenty of times....its just that many people don't even know how to judge old style and contemp jingle.....you have to look at the dancers and say hey is this person better at old style than that person is at contemp not just pick a contemp dancer because you like contemporary. Besides I just put opinion out there just like you have yours...oh and btw I am not a friend of Stephanie Nordwall but I have seen her dancing just like I have seen the other two.

Comment

Good Deal! Yeah...I understand what you are saying...and yes, some people do not know how to judge...
                      To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

That's what happens when I try to remember something when I have a migraine. Sorry
                        Becky B.

Comment

Hey Beck, It's been a long time and a long way from Festival Hall and The Marriott!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

What's up JD? Those were the good ole days.
                            Becky B.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.