Comment

Originally posted by summertyme View Post
          Drum Contest???
          Young Bird
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
            Young Bird

Who by the way also won the drum contest! And it's no wonder about that....considering that whoever was controlling the sound system only cranked the volume up to MAXIMUM every time they sang. And if they don't think nobody noticed.................! And by the way, there were 'judges' sitting up in the audience around the arena who were judging the drums on how loud they sounded! Hmmmmm......
            But don't get me wrong, Young Bird sounded good, but how obvious can you get???????
            >>BOOMER~SOONER<<
            >>>>>><<>><<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by laokie View Post
              Who by the way also won the drum contest! And it's no wonder about that....considering that whoever was controlling the sound system only cranked the volume up to MAXIMUM every time they sang. And if they don't think nobody noticed.................! And by the way, there were 'judges' sitting up in the audience around the arena who were judging the drums on how loud they sounded! Hmmmmm......
              But don't get me wrong, Young Bird sounded good, but how obvious can you get???????
              This sounds like the sound guy didn't position the mic(s) accordingly to the actual sound the group was generating ... or that he didn't adjust the volumn on the mixer to compensate the high volumn some singing groups make. I know this from experience and Young Bird just naturally sounds very LOAD. The only thing you can do is either position the mic or adjust the mixer volume. One just can't keep the volumn level the same for all the singing groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno View Post
                This sounds like the sound guy didn't position the mic(s) accordingly to the actual sound the group was generating ... or that he didn't adjust the volumn on the mixer to compensate the high volumn some singing groups make. I know this from experience and Young Bird just naturally sounds very LOAD. The only thing you can do is either position the mic or adjust the mixer volume. One just can't keep the volumn level the same for all the singing groups.
                Nope, it was cranked up! You could only tell the difference between them singing and the other drum groups! And everybody was commenting on that...how you couldn't even think when YB was singing, it was sooooo loud! I know YB is loud, but I also know some of those other drum groups are loud too, but this was ridiculous! AND I won't mention who the sound people were.....but everybody knew who it was!!
                >>BOOMER~SOONER<<
                >>>>>><<>><<<<<<

Comment

Nope, it was cranked up! You could only tell the difference between them singing and the other drum groups! And everybody was commenting on that...how you couldn't even think when YB was singing, it was sooooo loud! I know YB is loud, but I also know some of those other drum groups are loud too, but this was ridiculous! AND I won't mention who the sound people were.....but everybody knew who it was!!
                  Ok, I believe you.

Bet that left your ears ringing long after.

Comment

Not Choosing Sides

I helped a vendor friend pack up, and visited a local friend recovering from surgery, and then drove back to San Diego later Sunday night....and worked at 8:00 AM next morning... I don't know if I should trust my memory, LOL.

I claim to be neutral on this matter. Were all the mikes the same brand and condition? Any other equipment factors?

Midnight Express sounded pretty loud, also. Yeah, the mixer board seemed unattended a bit...I sat above it for a while...White Tail could be heard from other side...I dunno...

I did see them bring a fresh microphone out to the drum on northwest corner (name ?), so somebody was actively working the sound issues.
                    sigpic

Comment

well im the one who did the sound there and my name is dale roberts.. now for the people who are whinning why don't you post your name on here, or are you just going to ***** behind the keyboard! i keep the sound level the same for everyone and it's not my fault that some drums are louder the other drums.. wayne ran the drum contest and during one judging round he ask me to use one mic and drop the level to half and keep it that same level for the judges to prove who was louder. and worm came over to ask what was happening with the sound levels during that round, and told him what wayne had requested, and he understood..as for leaving the mixing board alone someone was always there, we was in the back and i dont know how you can see back there, cause it was dark were i was sitting at.. now for the fresh mic.. i hope you are not that dumb, and realize the batteries do need to be changed...duh, if you have a problem about the sound why don't you be a man and come and see me, next time... i do sound for lots of powwows all over and i have no complaints... that makes me wonder if you are a real powwow person or a local who stay local... i know i sound upset right now, and i'm so sorry if i come across bold... i try to be fair with everyone but if you do have a problem i wish you would come and see me about it and not hide behind a computer and jump my case. next time come and see me... so we can resolve this in person.....

Comment

sounds to me that ta'neeszahnii techno, is after sneek a peeks job, i remember last year at ft. macdowel he had problems with his stuff, sound cuttin out, and slow gettin to the drums... heck we all know nobodys perfect... everybody makes mistakes... everybody has there own way of setting up there sound and controlling it.... can't we all just get along, and quite finding stuff to complain about...

Comment

Originally posted by dad View Post
                          sounds to me that ta'neeszahnii techno, is after sneek a peeks job, i remember last year at ft. macdowel he had problems with his stuff, sound cuttin out, and slow gettin to the drums... heck we all know nobodys perfect... everybody makes mistakes... everybody has there own way of setting up there sound and controlling it.... can't we all just get along, and quite finding stuff to complain about...
                          All I commented on was that either the mic was too close to the singers or the volume was not adjusted for the LOAD singing group. I don't know what made you come to the conclusion that I was after Sneek a Peek's job.

Like Sneek a Peek posted, not all the drum groups sound the same, some are extremely louder than others. That's one reason why you have to be fair to all and use the same model mics. Certainly, batteries will wear out time to time and they do have to be replaced, sometimes you do have to swap out mics if you're short on time.

Comment

Not Here To Cause Trouble

Originally posted by sneek a peek View Post
                            well im the one who did the sound there and my name is dale roberts.. now for the people who are whinning why don't you post your name on here, or are you just going to ***** behind the keyboard! i keep the sound level the same for everyone and it's not my fault that some drums are louder the other drums.. wayne ran the drum contest and during one judging round he ask me to use one mic and drop the level to half and keep it that same level for the judges to prove who was louder. and worm came over to ask what was happening with the sound levels during that round, and told him what wayne had requested, and he understood..as for leaving the mixing board alone someone was always there, we was in the back and i dont know how you can see back there, cause it was dark were i was sitting at.. now for the fresh mic.. i hope you are not that dumb, and realize the batteries do need to be changed...duh, if you have a problem about the sound why don't you be a man and come and see me, next time... i do sound for lots of powwows all over and i have no complaints... that makes me wonder if you are a real powwow person or a local who stay local... i know i sound upset right now, and i'm so sorry if i come across bold... i try to be fair with everyone but if you do have a problem i wish you would come and see me about it and not hide behind a computer and jump my case. next time come and see me... so we can resolve this in person.....
                            Dale, I apologize if you think I was attacking you. I was actually pointing out that you were working hard, replacing that mike (how could I know exactly what was wrong with it?).

My comment about the mixer does seem harsh, going back over it, but I meant that nobody was cranking it up during certain songs. I was in the bleachers right above. These are just my observations, taking no sides.

I had a great time getting to hear 8 different drums at one event, no matter what sound levels. Too bad it has to be a competition....

peace out,

AK
                            sigpic

Comment

it was a good one!

1st- Young Bird, 2nd-Midnite Express, 3rd-The Boyz, 4th-Cozad, 5th Pipestone Creek, 6th- Eyabay, 7th- Omaha WhiteTail. All in all for the Singing Contest, i think Wayne Silas did an awesome job, the pow wow was a good one, I sang with Pipestone Creek... and we all had a great weekend down in Indio, Young Bird sounded awesome they really did sound good, big ups to all the crews that were there.... everyone involved in the pow wow did a great job, the sound man, you did a good job... regardless everyones opinion on the "sound" situation, all the drums did a great job... Congrats to all the Winners and all who Participated! Have a Good One... HOKA!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.