No announcement yet.

Indio Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading about the sound got me to thinking.

I wasn't at Indio but rather Hamilton. I was asked to judge singing one session.

While I was judging, standing right next to the drums, I could definately tell who was singing well. It was pretty clear to me.

When I was on the dance floor or in the stands it seemed that all the drums sounded more even. It was harder to tell who was singing really well and who wasn't.

It was almost like the PA system levelled the playing field. Bringing down the really good singers and bringing up the less good singers.

Reminded me of some other pow wows where the PA system has made all the drums sound horrible.

So as far as judging goes, I don't think the PA makes a hill of beans of difference. The judges are standing right next to the drums and can really pick up on who is singing well. I don't think singers should fret about how the PA might affect the judges, because in my experience it doesn't. The PA does affect how the dancers and spectators hear things though, and that can take away from the enjoyment of hearing good singers.

Sound is a tough thing to manage at a pow wow and for those professionals out there that know what they are doing I always appreciate it. For those "got my speakers and system from the pawnshop to try and make some extra cash" guys, I ask committee's to not hire them. They suffer us all.

Comment

Yeah, well everybody has their own opinions about what was going on.

So tell me what happened with the ladies southern buckskin? There was only 1 that apparently knew the difference between a straight song and a round dance song! And she ended up in 5th place???????????????? She should've been the automatic winner in my book, regardless of points! Those others should've gotten 0 points on that one! They all danced round dance, to a war dance song, almost thru the WHOLE song! Did anybody notice their looks of............HUH....isn't this a round dance???????? Even the judges weren't quite sure what to do! That has me baffled!!!!
      >>BOOMER~SOONER<<
      >>>>>><<>><<<<<<

Comment

Awww, the sounds of a good competition powwow . . . discontent. Oh well, Congrat's to Youngbird, MNX, The Boyz, and my nischasak from Onion Lake, Sask Pipestone Creek. Sounds to me like there could have been nothing better than superb singing all the way around. The sound guys, all of yous do a great job! Keep it up and thanks. I know what it's like from back in the day when groups had to haul around their own P.A.'s. Congrat's to all the winners!

Comment

lmao.....every powwow i've been to where mr. Robert's has worked the sound has been awesome!!....from a singer's stand point it sure helps to have a good sound man....as well as a good system....& I know for a fact that mr. Roberts has been doing sound for years & has mad knowledge on the techno [email protected] even remember a powwow way back in the day where he plugged about 3 or 4 groups system's together to get a "surround" sound effect cuz it was a huge arena....thats skills!!....neways keep up the good work mr. Roberts cuz you make me feel like a rockstar sometimes!! jk...& congrats to errbody there!!

Comment

If its not the PA sound system guy,its the drum group whos not singing loud enough,not enough heart in their singing, tsk tsk tsk.

Dale Roberts been a PA guy for decades,across NDN country.
            The states and Canada.
            I remember him carrying those huge old skool equipment around.With a big ol smile on his face and his long braids LOL. Your doin a great job Dale,shake off the negativity.

Comment

still waitin' on him to bring back the ol' skool "horns"!!.....

Comment

I have a problem with Dale Roberts! He don't share his video game with me, I'm going to tell his mom!

Comment

2010 Indio POW WOW

Time for a new [email protected] Indio...Definitely did not like the term... local..by that crazy Hattak Dale Roberts everyone knows us Chatas....Choctaws don't get enough credits here in California especially in the circle ..we only missed it this year due to death in Family and health issues..MBCI num..3138..Eileen George/Choctaw Institute.Lemon Grove,Ca

Comment

Thanks lot for postn winners~Right on......Congrats to all da weiners
                    lisaironmaker

Comment

wow

been away from powwows for a bit now and this is the first time in a while that i've visited this site, just came by to check it out. THis is the first post that i clicked on and i must say that there are definitely things that i do not miss about how involved i was in the world of competition powwows. I would take my kids' sports and their schooling any day over getting caught up in all the negativity out there in the hardcore world of competition powwows. I really wish that i didn't know now what i didn't know way back when about powwows. I do miss the beauty, the singing of jamming a** drum groups like MNX, the friends and family we have across powwow land. The true friends, not the ones who stab you in the back and smile to your face all in the name of wannabe fame and fortune. I think that i might want my kids to pick up their dancing and for my boys to sit with their dad again at his drum, but after all that my eyes have seen and all that i've learned and have come to know, i will have to do some serious praying before i ever set my childen's feet on this path with so much anymosity and jelousy, ever again!

Comment

Originally posted by singfromDheart View Post
                        been away from powwows for a bit now and this is the first time in a while that i've visited this site, just came by to check it out. THis is the first post that i clicked on and i must say that there are definitely things that i do not miss about how involved i was in the world of competition powwows. I would take my kids' sports and their schooling any day over getting caught up in all the negativity out there in the hardcore world of competition powwows. I really wish that i didn't know now what i didn't know way back when about powwows. I do miss the beauty, the singing of jamming a** drum groups like MNX, the friends and family we have across powwow land. The true friends, not the ones who stab you in the back and smile to your face all in the name of wannabe fame and fortune. I think that i might want my kids to pick up their dancing and for my boys to sit with their dad again at his drum, but after all that my eyes have seen and all that i've learned and have come to know, i will have to do some serious praying before i ever set my childen's feet on this path with so much anymosity and jelousy, ever again!
                        Aww, come on back and powwow! This was all last year, this year the trails been nothing but positive! No more backstabbing, anymosity, or jelousy anymore! It's all good again!
                        ScarryWolf

Comment

So did I miss where the northern mens tradish was or is there winners for them? lol...haha thats my fav so I noticed there was no winners for them posted haha...
                          ~~LIVE~~LOVE~~LAUGH~~

Comment

Everyone please note that the winners listed above are for LAST YEAR!!!
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Ha Ho ho jokes is on you( update the forum board)

Comment

it is true, some groups are louder than some...and i know dale is not that kind of person to be messing with the volume. i applaud ya dale, keep up the work and all is good!! oh, btw...YB is very loud!! i judged them before and their volume is tops!! just remember peeps, many powwows to come... so enjoy!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.